The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

2 hours ago, Fitbafollower said:

If Baird had a left foot then he would have been starting ahead of mcGinty beside Muirhrad 

it will be interesting if Muirhead or Baird remain at Somerset next season

If we stay up I can't see why Muirhead wouldn't be here. If we go down I'd imagine he gets a move to a Morton or whoever did stay up.   Baird will be away either way surely.  

Tomorrow seems really massive actually.   We've had those 2 great away results and things off the field picking up - if we win tomorrow and keep the momentum going then it seems that would be a pivotal moment both for staying up this season and for fans getting fully behind the Mathie / Bullen thing in general as a longer term project.    Lose and we are right back in the shit.   

The fact he's triggered it now just sets off alarm bells for me personally..

McGinty hasn’t triggered anything - it’s the number of games he’s played this season that has triggered a clause in his contract to extend that contact into next season.

And he had no say in it?

Not sure what you mean.

The clause would have been negotiated and agreed between McGinty and the Club when his contract was signed and the trigger was an agreed number of games being played. The whole point of the clause was that the contract would apply for next season when he’d played a certain number of games this season. There’s no need for either him or the Club to say anything at this point other than to announce the clause has been triggered.

I think a number on here are under estimating the club and Bullen frankly. They would have been fully aware of this clause. It would also have been a consideration in their planning both short term and mid term. Not least because it's more of next seasons wage budget committed.

The calculus from Bullen is that short term playing McGinty gives us the best chance of staying up and triggering the extension is a price worth paying. I don't agree with that but I can understand the premise of that position.

A decision was taken to play McGinty and you can be certain given how detailed orientated Bullen, Mathie et al are that the contract extension would have been considered. It would certainly not have been an after thought as has been suggested. I'd be pretty concerned if that were the case.

6 hours ago, UpInTheAyr said:
7 hours ago, Frosty said:

McGinty hasn’t triggered anything - it’s the number of games he’s played this season that has triggered a clause in his contract to extend that contact into next season.

And he had no say in it?

It probably falls under the incentive category for McGinty. If you read back this thread a few people have mentioned that he may be lucky to get another full time contract in Scotland. If the situation was different he may well have wanted to negotiate. As it stands he’s probably delighted to have secured a contract extension as can’t imagine football is awash with money atm  

6 hours ago, UpInTheAyr said:
7 hours ago, Frosty said:

And he had no say in it?

FWIW Given the fact he had to sign it according to the news article, it does imply that McGinty did have to agree to it rather than the contract simply rolling forward. 

Sean McGinty Signs Contract Extension

The Club are delighted to announce that Sean McGinty has triggered a contract extension due to the number of appearances he has made so far this season.

Sean has signed the contract extension and will remain at the Club for Season 2022/23.

I'm not saying McGinty is any where near the class of Rose, Adams etc that we have had in recent years but has he really been that bad? yeah he's made some mistakes and even said himself yesterday he's not been consistent enough but any mistake a CB makes has more chance of resulting In a goal, I think because Morton fans love to come on here and go on about how bad he was for them and stir the shit every thing he does gets magnified, at the moment he's one of the first names on the team sheet and Bullen trusts him as his captain so if that's good enough for Bullen it's good enough for me.

Can't say I'm excited about the prospect of another season of McGinty. A lot of his earlier performances have been far far short of what is necessary. I mean, some of his stuff was atrocious, and he looked completely out of depth at points. Although, a lot of Ayr fans tended to give him an unfair focus of criticism when the whole team were shite (I include myself in that). He was part of a truly awful team under two truly awful managers.

He has been better recently (not that it would have been too difficult). I'm just concerned we'll see the same shite we saw previously some time soon. Maybe with the right coaching and the correct, consistent CB partnership he will continue to be a a capable enough lower championship player as he has shown quite recently.

My hope is that he'll be a back up centre half next season. He seems like a good guy, and may be a decent figure to have around the squad. But the thought of him as a starting centre half next season doesn't fill me with confidence.

4 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:

I'm not saying McGinty is any where near the class of Rose, Adams etc that we have had in recent years but has he really been that bad? yeah he's made some mistakes and even said himself yesterday he's not been consistent enough but any mistake a CB makes has more chance of resulting In a goal, I think because Morton fans love to come on here and go on about how bad he was for them and stir the shit every thing he does gets magnified, at the moment he's one of the first names on the team sheet and Bullen trusts him as his captain so if that's good enough for Bullen it's good enough for me.

Partick fans aren't too keen on him either tbf.

I'm fully prepared for him today to either score or chuck one in the net.

1 minute ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Time will tell, obviously I would love to be wrong and for him to be a success but I'm just not buying it atm and he's got a long way to go for me to change my opinion of him.

Not that he cares like what I think of him.

Aye I'd love to be wrong. I like nothing more than seeing a player that is written off suddenly shutting everyone up with class performances. We'll see though. 

@AuAl post a few posts up is more or less my view. He was utterly horrendous at the start of the season. Culpable for almost a goal a game (even three of four away to Partick). There is no doubt he has been solid but still error prone recently.

Its totally underwhelming as a signing for next season hes simply not good enough. I also dont buy the view that he'll be backup next season. Hes rumoured to be a high earner. I genuinely believe he is amongst the worst defenders we've had at this level. 

Let's hope he can keep minimising the mistakes. I'd be delighted if manages to do so and will happily eat my words but he's still got a long way to go to have me believing he's part of the solution and not the problem.

Edited by Trogdor

It depends on how the extension works.

If it is in the contract that the player can decide once passing a number of games

If the club can trigger it

if both can trigger it.

If I was McGinty and I had been largely at fault for most cheap goals conceded this season, would I want to hang around or do I take my chances getting a team elsewhere. Or do I take the extension and maybe kick around the reserves for 10 months. It looks like he has upped his game and is trying to fight for a place in the team. 

Bullen could have dropped him a month ago and played Baird and Muirhead, McGinty could have sat next to Fjortoft for the remainder of the season But he didn't. McGinty will now be a part of his budget next season so he must have seen enough from him to want to keep him, with Baird probably being one to move on in the summer along with Fjortoft (if not before)

It is Bullens decision to keep McGinty, maybe he hasn't seen as much as him as we have and has made a mistake or he sees more in him than we do and knows he is an asset and is starting to get more out of him than previous managers.