The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

17 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

On that subject Arbroath seem to be attracting about the same home support as ourselves, pretty embarrassing if you ask me.

We were getting 2500+ crowds when I first started going to games. Toiling in the third tier in the mid-noughties drove all but the real Somerset Road Soldiers away.

If these fairweather fans cannot be arsed turning up to support Ayr United when the club is struggling, that says a lot about them and I would rather not share a terracing with them. They can stay home and watch the shitey Disney versions of football known as the English Premiership and the Champions League.

Just now, Richey Edwards said:

We were getting 2500+ crowds when I first started going to games. Toiling in the third tier in the mid-noughties drove all but the real Somerset Road Soldiers away.

If these fairweather fans cannot be arsed turning up to support Ayr United when the club is struggling, that says a lot about them and I would rather not share a terracing with them. They can stay home and watch the shitey Disney versions of football known as the English Premiership and the Champions League.

Does it say a lot about them though? 

This is the exact issue with Scottish football clubs - Ayr struggling to avoid relegation from league one, providing a horrific product and somehow the fans are to blame for not wanting to watch that…

1 minute ago, No_Problemo said:

Does it say a lot about them though? 

This is the exact issue with Scottish football clubs - Ayr struggling to avoid relegation from league one, providing a horrific product and somehow the fans are to blame for not wanting to watch that…

Even just now, they are winning games and up the top end but mostly it's a pretty tough watch for the majority of the match.  

I bet our chairman will be delighted to hear we want floating fans to stay away, marvellous idea to drive the club forward, some shite spoken on here but that's right up there, utterly ridiculous, ever club has a core support then various levels of folk who are fans to different degrees, mental actually F***ing mental statement. 

Just now, Mod1967 said:

I bet our chairman will be delighted to hear we want floating fans to stay away, marvellous idea to drive the club forward, some shite spoken on here but that's right up there, utterly ridiculous, ever club has a core support then various levels of folk who are fans to different degrees, mental actually F***ing mental statement. 

Woosh. 

What about the fans who work on Saturdays and get a couple of Saturdays off a year and save them for the bigger games, what about folk who can't afford to go that much, what about neutrals or possibly lapsed OF fans who have a fondness for Ayr and could be tempted.......don't share my terracing.....nonsense 

42 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

On that subject Arbroath seem to be attracting about the same home support as ourselves, pretty embarrassing if you ask me.

They're only really getting that just now cause they caught all the ones last year jumping on the bandwagon to get season tickets for this year and even though it's going shit for them folk will still be going along to get the money out of their season ticket. Even if they're still in the championship next year i can't see them getting 1,800 at home games. Also attract a few hundred along to their hospitality as it seems to be an attraction to go and listen to dick tell a story in there pre-match. 

Also they've not got the slight issue of being 45 minutes away from the ugly sisters whose fanbase pollute Ayrshire...

The crowds have gone up about 20% i think this year but it's going to take time and until the new stand is built before we really see an increase hopefully because at the moment it just looks like the usual past tradition of having a one off decent season at the top (alas McCall with Shankland firing in the goals) and then next season we'll be back down the wrong end of the table. If we back it up however next year with another strong season then folk will start taking notice. 

8 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Even just now, they are winning games and up the top end but mostly it's a pretty tough watch for the majority of the match.  

Bit harsh, not as if we've been playing dinosaur tactics, were playing silky stuff at the start of the season and only really changed lately due to injuries and conditions. Pitch on Saturday didn't allow for silky football but looking back now we actually still played some good stuff at times in the first half with Chalmers and Mullin getting the ball down and running at their fullbacks and causing issues. 

51 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

We have the 3rd best support in the league after Dundee and Thistle I believe.

Our crowds this season have been as consistently good as we've had in years with around a hardcore home support of between 1,700 and 2,100.

3 hours ago, Finlay21 said:

It’s  tough  when you have a very large squad , players may  need to go out to create space , unless we are going to spend a lot more in wages 

Also from a training point of view loaning players out isn't the solution people think it is. Majority will still spend time training with us unless it's a loan to a club that's FT or in another country so the squad Bullen's working with day to day is likely to increase with an additions even if for example Bryden went on loan to Albion Rovers.

In 2011 and 2012 in the Championship / old Division 1 our average home support was under 1,300 and in 2019 it was a couple of hundred less than now, so in real terms we've actually increased the crowds by a good few hundred over the past few years.

It wasn't that long ago that we had dipped under the 1,000 mark for our home gates so we're actually doing pretty damn good at the minute, especially in the middle of a cost of living crisis where a day out at the Football is far from cheap.

If we also take into consideration the illegal streaming and TV choices etc, then again I'd say we're doing great and it looks like it's only going to get better so You'll not find me moaning about our crowds, that's for sure....

I take it that we're likely to have a free week this Saturday ??

If there was a pitch inspection on Saturday, then I see no way at all the pitch will be playable given the amount of rain that's fallen and the forecast for the next few days !!

8 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I take it that we're likely to have a free week this Saturday ??

If there was a pitch inspection on Saturday, then I see no way at all the pitch will be playable given the amount of rain that's fallen and the forecast for the next few days !!

The pitch is usually quite good at draining water. I think the problem with last Saturday was the torrential rain that had fallen overnight. I don't think it was overly windy last week either. Certainly been windy this week so far.

2 hours ago, RedEd said:

The pitch is usually quite good at draining water. I think the problem with last Saturday was the torrential rain that had fallen overnight. I don't think it was overly windy last week either. Certainly been windy this week so far.

Forecast for next Friday night through to Saturday morning (albeit a few days away) is for heavy rain. Might struggle to drain away in time.

3 minutes ago, edinburghhonestman said:

Forecast for next Friday night through to Saturday morning (albeit a few days away) is for heavy rain. Might struggle to drain away in time.

True. I'd be very disappointed if that's the case. I'm in hospitality this Saturday.

4 hours ago, itzdrk said:

This, I have always cared more about the result than the performance. 3 points are the priority I don't care how we get them. However, I've been saying that since November.

It would be nice to have a game where everything just clicks. I missed the 5 nil against Queen Park in October. I want us to really horse a team with a bit of flair and panache.

That being said, I'd take two scrappy wins against Arbroath and Cove then giving Queens Park another pasting though tbf.

4 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

You are better than this tripe Richey.

1 minute ago, Richey Edwards said:

It was too far, aye.

I think I get what you were meaning though, glory seekers and the like, who only turn up for winning teams.

I wouldn't go as far as to discriminate occasional fans in the terracing..... Unless it was like the Sevco game of a few years back, where Sevco fans were among us in disguise.

Ayrs doing really well as of late and I believe that a play off push will bring one or two unfamiliar faces to the Somerset terracing. Some games are a like watching paint dry at times, though it doesn't take away from the fact that your at Somerset to back The super, no matter how stale or shite the football is. 

Just now, Roxanne's man said:

I think I get what you were meaning though, glory seekers and the like, who only turn up for winning teams.

I wouldn't go as far as to discriminate occasional fans in the terracing..... Unless it was like the Sevco game of a few years back, where Sevco fans were among us in disguise.

Ayrs doing really well as of late and I believe that a play off push will bring one or two unfamiliar faces to the Somerset terracing. Some games are a like watching paint dry at times, though it doesn't take away from the fact that your at Somerset to back The super, no matter how stale or shite the football is. 

I was joking about that part. Though I shouldn't have joked about it because it made me look like an absolute dick.

It does annoy me though that a significant portion of our fanbase from the early 2000s appears to have disappeared off the face of the earth. Not even us flying high in the league has brought them back.

I believe in backing the club through thick and thin, although there have been times were I have thought that I must have masochistic tendencies to do so.