The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

9 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

I’ll probably be around if we keep winning and you keep losing. Once that is reversed you’ll not see me.

At least you are honest about it. You always were annoying, even at school.

5 hours ago, railwayend said:

I forgot Hewitt was already gone . You can also add the Lincoln boy to that list . Perhaps even Eccripont . 

Ecrepont is 21, highly thought of, and scored a great goal in a bounce derby today. Ahui has played literally minutes of football. You might as well add the entire rest of the squad to that list if you're going to be that harsh.

Bangala and Hewitt both negotiating exits this week suggests that at least the club is trying to offload players who aren't in the club's future. I would personally put this down to long-term hygiene rather than some sort of pocket-book decision as to whether the club can afford e.g. Chalmers but who knows.

27 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Ecrepont is 21, highly thought of, and scored a great goal in a bounce derby today. Ahui has played literally minutes of football. You might as well add the entire rest of the squad to that list if you're going to be that harsh.

Bangala and Hewitt both negotiating exits this week suggests that at least the club is trying to offload players who aren't in the club's future. I would personally put this down to long-term hygiene rather than some sort of pocket-book decision as to whether the club can afford e.g. Chalmers but who knows.

They may also have overstretched and are trying to balance the books now for the season ahead. 

I doubt this is the case though.

there is no point having dead wood hanging about the club. Last season we did the housekeeping before we brought players in and left us with one left back and only two midfielders 

4 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

They may also have overstretched and are trying to balance the books now for the season ahead. 

I doubt this is the case though.

there is no point having dead wood hanging about the club. Last season we did the housekeeping before we brought players in and left us with one left back and only two midfielders 

They were two players that were clearly surplus to requirements, nothing else to it.

Would say the only position left that may have a slight question mark over it is upfront with Ashford & Bryden, the latter needs to go on loan to a league 1/2 club IMO and Ashford is borderline surplus since he can't hit a barn door nevermind score. If that's the case then another striker needs signed

1 hour ago, Sortmeout said:

I’ll probably be around if we keep winning and you keep losing. Once that is reversed you’ll not see me.

Do you ever just think to yourself....

Why am I here ?

Am I not a big enough dick in real life ,I have to be a dick online too....?

Go away No1 cares about ure opinion utter knob goblin 👺

Bullen basically hinted that Hewitt and Ecrepont would have to do something special to get in the team and they had big decisions to make this summer. Fair play to Hewitt for chasing regular football as he wasn’t going to establish himself here. Hopefully Ecrepont gets himself a contract elsewhere as well and asserts himself as a first pick. Would imagine Stranraer would take him back but I reckon he could be good enough to start in League One. 

Ashford is a tricky one as he’s moved his family up here and might not be keen on moving on. If we could loan him out to another Scottish team for a year until his contract is up it would free up space for another forward which I think we need. 

11 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Bullen basically hinted that Hewitt and Ecrepont would have to do something special to get in the team and they had big decisions to make this summer. Fair play to Hewitt for chasing regular football as he wasn’t going to establish himself here. Hopefully Ecrepont gets himself a contract elsewhere as well and asserts himself as a first pick. Would imagine Stranraer would take him back but I reckon he could be good enough to start in League One. 

Ashford is a tricky one as he’s moved his family up here and might not be keen on moving on. If we could loan him out to another Scottish team for a year until his contract is up it would free up space for another forward which I think we need. 

Ashford is a bit like Craig Moore, Folk turned on Moore because he wasn't Shankland. Ashford joined and has played along side two more prolific, more popular forwards. 

Ashford has been largely fine in a frustrating team and maybe the change in style of play would suit him. I'm inclined to keep him and send Bryden out to a club that will start him most weeks. 

My guess is that the two main targets are Strapp and Chalmers, failing that, Wotherspoon, Fletcher or Mulgrew. Dunfermline, Inverness and maybe 1-2 others will be in the same market. There needs to come a time we pull the trigger on them or walk away and look further afield. If we don't, we'll end up with a 17 year left back from Bradford city and an 18 year old from Gillingham on loan. 

23 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

None of the sidelined players will be drawing much of a wage, and between finishing second and selling Akinyemi the club has at least half a million unexpected quid to spare. It will be very interesting seeing next year's filings and what happens to the cash in hand, given that the majority of the club's ostensible assets are actually Smith's private possessions these days.

Anyway, I definitely don't see Ashford / McKenzie / Bryden going anywhere what with Bullen's repeatedly-stated love of substitution roulette. The club's two elder statesmen won't stay fit (one isn't fit anyway) and right now nobody has an idea of how to reliably generate goals from any combination of forwards on the books, so he'll keep switching it.

Just now, diegomarahenry said:

Ashford is a bit like Craig Moore, Folk turned on Moore because he wasn't Shankland. Ashford joined and has played along side two more prolific, more popular forwards.

I don't even know where to start with this. Moore is a fan favourite who scored 40-odd goals for the club. He's about as comparable with Ashford as Serena Williams.

11 minutes ago, Thumper said:

None of the sidelined players will be drawing much of a wage, and between finishing second and selling Akinyemi the club has at least half a million unexpected quid to spare

They said that they would have made a loss this season had McKenzie not scored. They just about broke even as a result. Depending on how Dipo's transfer fee is structured, the club may have not seen a penny yet.  Also, not much of a wage is still a wage. It would be illegal to pay them less than about £300 a week. Thats one season ticket plus pension contributions, plus a load of training kit, feeding them during the day, insurance etc. 

17 minutes ago, Thumper said:

I don't even know where to start with this. Moore is a fan favourite who scored 40-odd goals for the club. He's about as comparable with Ashford as Serena Williams.

Moore was getting boo'd by some morons in our support. He reacted a couple of times to it. McCall spoke about his mental strength at the time. Especially after he missed the penalty against Alloa and had a stinker the week before.  People were expecting him to be Shankland and he wasn't despite scoring two goals less than him that season. 

My example with Ashford is that he is often flung on because Adeloye or Dipo wasn't getting any change out of a defence and he wasn't the same as them, He isn't a lone, goal scoring forward or able to hold the ball up. Folk don't like him and give him a hard time because he isn't a dynamic forward like the other two, when it's not his game. 

Ashford is definitely talented enough to play at this level if he's not being shoehorned in to a team to cover gaps. I don't know what the stats say, but to me he seems a competent ball carrier, energetic and progressive. Gets the team upfield. Needs creative players around him to produce and finish chances.

3 hours ago, Iain said:

Ashford is definitely talented enough to play at this level if he's not being shoehorned in to a team to cover gaps. I don't know what the stats say, but to me he seems a competent ball carrier, energetic and progressive. Gets the team upfield. Needs creative players around him to produce and finish chances

Ashford is a good lad , he’s 100%er every time he takes the field . He came in when we were facing the drop  and helped put out that fire . If beating the drop is all we are about then he’ll stay for as long as that’s the remit . However that is no longer the clubs remit , we’re in flux and our goals and ambitions will change season by season 

I can’t see Finn , Sam , Paddy , McAlister and the Lincoln lad playing for us next season . There may even be greater changes than just those fellows . A lot our our boys will be out of contract and the remit may advance again next season. 

Hopefully we can steady the ship a bit in this window . Strapp , Chalmers and a dcm perhaps a Mulgrew would certainly help the good young players we do have .

6 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

They said that they would have made a loss this season had McKenzie not scored. They just about broke even as a result. Depending on how Dipo's transfer fee is structured, the club may have not seen a penny yet.  Also, not much of a wage is still a wage. It would be illegal to pay them less than about £300 a week. Thats one season ticket plus pension contributions, plus a load of training kit, feeding them during the day, insurance etc. 

Moore was getting boo'd by some morons in our support. He reacted a couple of times to it. McCall spoke about his mental strength at the time. Especially after he missed the penalty against Alloa and had a stinker the week before.  People were expecting him to be Shankland and he wasn't despite scoring two goals less than him that season. 

My example with Ashford is that he is often flung on because Adeloye or Dipo wasn't getting any change out of a defence and he wasn't the same as them, He isn't a lone, goal scoring forward or able to hold the ball up. Folk don't like him and give him a hard time because he isn't a dynamic forward like the other two, when it's not his game. 

Moore was good in league one and clinical in front of goal. He wasn't up to much in the championship where the defenders were quicker and could read the game better. Tbf he still had time on his side to develop but the injury situation caught up with him. I can see why he was starting to get questions asked of him 

Ashford is a good lad and a trier, but he's not going to be here next season and that tells you everything you need to know about his ability. 

I'm still incredulous that we offered Hewitt a contract extension just to get rid of him, McKenzie is a lucky boy to have gotten one as well. 

10 minutes ago, Shibuya said:

Ashford is a good lad and a trier, but he's not going to be here next season and that tells you everything you need to know about his ability. 

I'm still incredulous that we offered Hewitt a contract extension just to get rid of him, McKenzie is a lucky boy to have gotten one as well. 

McKenzie played 42 times last season, scoring five and assisting four - he also contributed very well to the team for a decent chunk of the season at the age of 22. He isn’t remotely comparable to Hewitt!

1 hour ago, OneTeamInAyrsh1re said:

Some of the comments defending ashford on here are hilarious, he’s an atrociously bad footballer, creates no chances, scores no goals, weak and shite technically. 

Yeah, this is where I am.

He certainly gives his all but I think there is some recency bias in this, in that he looked impactful coming off the bench in the League Cup.

He's just not good enough for this level. 

13 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Yeah, this is where I am.

He certainly gives his all but I think there is some recency bias in this, in that he looked impactful coming off the bench in the League Cup.

He's just not good enough for this level. 

If we want to progress and eventually have a team that can be promoted we need to get away from that mentality we had with Hewitt and with Sam that they are good guys and try hard so keep them on, we need to be more ruthless and move the dead wood on like we have with Hewitt and Bangala I'm hopefully that's one thing McGeady can bring in in his role.

I think the one thing that keeps Ashford around for this season is his versatility, Hewitt was also that but in positions we did not need, Ashford  is able to play wide on either side or up top and when injuries inevitably happen someone like Ashford will be needed for his level of fitness and engine