The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

4 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Till end of season I see, what's his contract situation like? If he does well I suppose he'll be recalled in January then?

Out of contract at the end of the season so if he hits the ground at Ayr you could offer him a PCA in January

He scored a few goals at the start of last season for us but he was never going to displace Graham. He’s been rotten since the turn of the year and ended last season 3rd choice striker behind Danny Mullen too. His touch is terrible and at times looks like a rugby player attempting to play football. To be fair to him he looks shot of confidence and has shown he can score at this level.

57 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Dowds is as good as we could get in this current loan window. If we had signed him permanently last month I’d have been really please. As it’s a loan I hope we aren’t bent over a barrel in January by Thistle. 

He was good at Arbroath iirc. 

What do you mean by bent over a barrel? Do you mean if we recall him or something?

1 minute ago, third lanark said:

What do you mean by bent over a barrel? Do you mean if we recall him or something?

Basically what happened last season with Josh Mullin and Livingston. Recalled him as they wanted his wage off the books and knew they could force us into signing him permanently as we were desperate. 

1 hour ago, Reid said:

He scored a few goals at the start of last season for us but he was never going to displace Graham. He’s been rotten since the turn of the year and ended last season 3rd choice striker behind Danny Mullen too. His touch is terrible and at times looks like a rugby player attempting to play football. To be fair to him he looks shot of confidence and has shown he can score at this level.

I’m not sure we are helping to rebuild anyone’s confidence right now!

2 minutes ago, Nelson said:

Don’t know much about Dowds, but he absolutely positively has to be an improvement on McKenzie.

Right?

We kind of need him to be a decent bit better than Rose too… 

I’d be keeping the 433 and using Rose and Chalmers either side of Dowds. Rose looks like a far better wide option than striker for me. Murphy in a free role on the left of a midfield three alongside Senga and Young. 

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

I’d be keeping the 433 and using Rose and Chalmers either side of Dowds. Rose looks like a far better wide option than striker for me. Murphy in a free role on the left of a midfield three alongside Senga and Young. 

Would say that we do t know what rose is like playing alongside anyone to really judge him. I think we should go back to basics and go 442

2 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Dowds is fine for this level and about as good as we could get given how late we are in looking for a striker.

He goes straight into the team for me. I don't think anyone could seriously suggest starting McKenzie or Bryden ahead of him.

At least he will know the league and what is required of him, but why are we not chapping the doors of the league above for loans? Nuts that he can't play on Friday and Chalmers can't play against dundee utd. A couple of injuries away from disaster. 

2 minutes ago, Only me... said:

At least he will know the league and what is required of him, but why are we not chapping the doors of the league above for loans? Nuts that he can't play on Friday and Chalmers can't play against dundee utd. A couple of injuries away from disaster. 

Because the best you’ll likely get from the league above in terms of strikers is young loans which the club have just been hammered for getting. 

Dowds is the most experienced option we’ll get in this window. 

Always thought Dowds looked a bit meh but he was generally put on as a sub and i was comparing him to Thistles other forwards. Considering out current situation this is a big signing and will pick us up a few points. Not sure if possible but would like to see Bryden getting sent on loan as him hanging around will probably do little for us or him longer term. 

26 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Because the best you’ll likely get from the league above in terms of strikers is young loans which the club have just been hammered for getting. 

Dowds is the most experienced option we’ll get in this window. 

I get that, but there has to be fringe players available, even if they are young,  they should be of a better quality and also be fit. It's our non-league gambles to find the next Dipo that are failing us. There is no doubting we need a striker, but we need one for this friday. 

Just now, Only me... said:

I get that, but there has to be fringe players available, even if they are young,  they should be of a better quality and also be fit. It's our non-league gambles to find the next Dipo that are failing us. There is no doubting we need a striker, but we need one for this friday. 

This Friday isn’t going to make or break our season. We’ll have Dowds for the longer term (well until January at least) and that’s the main thing. 

Dowds will get you between 5-10 goals each season which should be a decent enough return if Chalmers, McGeady, Murphy, Rose and McKenzie can chip in with a few goals.

There's no doubting he's an upgrade on McKenzie and i've been saying all summer that Bryden should be out on loan this season, maybe Dowds coming in now will allow that to happen before end of the month as he's now effectively 4th choice.

Edited by Rb123