The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 minute ago, BukyOHare said:

So by your definition those critical every week about pretty much everything aren't "big" fans (whatever that actually means).

Its all about results and come the end if the season, what people will ultimately be judged on. Style and substance less so.

We should've finished 5th last season according to a lot on here, we'll be in and around there again imo.

No chance this squad of players will finish 5th, I'm hoped to be proved wrong but I can't see 4 worse teams than us in the league

1 hour ago, Richey Edwards said:

Getting through in the cup is the main thing, but requiring extra-time to get past a part-time team two divisions below us doesn't bode well.

Maybe I expect too much though.

Remember this team is a bit unique though. Away form miles better when teams come out and attack us. Lower leagues teams more likely to sit in which perhaps evens some of the advantage out.

15 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

So by your definition those critical every week about pretty much everything aren't "big" fans (whatever that actually means).

Its all about results and come the end if the season, what people will ultimately be judged on. Style and substance less so.

We should've finished 5th last season according to a lot on here, we'll be in and around there again imo.

We might be tbf, but Morton, Queens Park, Airdrie and Dunfermline are all absolutely terrible. Inverness might be emerging from the shit, but we’ll see over the next few weeks. 

Finishing below any of the first five would mean a very very poor season. 

With Ben Dempsey back in the fold i'd like to see us change to a 4/3/3 

Our 4/4/2 is becoming a bit predictable plus it's clear now we actually don't have 2 good enough strikers to play 2 up top, Bryden, McKenzie, Rose & Amartay have all had a shot up front alongside Dowds and they've all done f**k all.

Albinson

McAllister Musonda McGinty Reading 

Young

Syla                 Dempsey 

Chalmers                 Murphy

Dowds

Edited by Rb123

2 hours ago, Trogdor said:

How did we actually play yesterday? 

Pretty meh all things considered.

We had Peterhead pinned in most of the first half, but kept dragging shots wide. Dowds a few times turned the defender to the outside instead on inside, which meant his shots got sliced wide invariably.

Midfield looked decent first half, onto loose balls and keeping pressure on.

Second half was weird though, like the entire mindset was John done already. McGeady insisted on trying wee tricks constantly instead of the simple pass and once they're worked that out they just say on top of him.

Amartey's game seems to depend on having space to run into, but the role he was asked to play had him more holding up to bring the full back up. He tried to shuffle past his man a few times and it was painful to watch. He just doesn't have the close control to do it.

As the second half wore on, it just felt like nothing was happening, we'd try a cross with everyone looking for the first ball and no-one following for scraps. When we did get into a stramash, Peterhead threw bodies in front of everything. 

Into extra time, and I must admit the subs bringing on Finn and Smith had me confused, but Finn did well on the wing side. Fresh legs and pushed them back into their own box 

I can honestly say though that I don't I'll be mentioning one player with anything other than a "mind him" thought in 5 years time.

5 minutes ago, Peil said:

I can honestly say though that I don't I'll be mentioning one player with anything other than a "mind him" thought in 5 years time.

I swear, 95% of my memory is of random Ayr United players from 15-20 years ago.

The streets will never forget Eric Phillips senior debut at the age of 36.

Edited by Richey Edwards

2 hours ago, eez-eh said:

Which is it?

Both ....Getting the prize money in the next round forgives a poor winning performance in the previous round .Taken in isolation . If however making a habit of scraping through is the bigger picture then pressure will mount as its not good enough for a full time professional club to continually struggle with part time lower league teams ....

45 minutes ago, Rb123 said:

With Ben Dempsey back in the fold i'd like to see us change to a 4/3/3 

Our 4/4/2 is becoming a bit predictable plus it's clear now we actually don't have 2 good enough strikers to play 2 up top, Bryden, McKenzie, Rose & Amartay have all had a shot up front alongside Dowds and they've all done f**k all.

Albinson

McAllister Musonda McGinty Reading 

Young

Syla                 Dempsey 

Chalmers                 Murphy

Dowds

I think you'd want to swap Syla and Young round in that line up but yeah worth a go . The problem with 442 containing two wingers and two strikers is that the team needs to keep the ball and the wingers and strikers must be on it . We struggle to keep the ball and as was said so far our second striker choices haven't done it at all . It would be great to bring Cammy Smith back from England at Christmas , only got six months left on his contract and not getting huge game time . Talking about Smiths the other one, Liam, is in a similar situation at Cheltenham . Would love to see both back ,but maybe too much to ask at this point .

27 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

I swear, 95% of my memory is of random Ayr United players from 15-20 years ago.

Brian Reid was appointed 16 years ago last month. It'll have been 13 years ago in January since Moffat signed. Even the League Cup run was over a decade ago now.

Can't believe Bullen went with 'shocks happen in the cup' when it's literally his job to make sure they don't. Which, to be fair, is what he did yesterday.

Hoping for Celtic away in the next round. They could play for a week and not score right now.