The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

16 minutes ago, motley123rock said:

He is all left foot and IMHO should be played on the left , don’t like the inverted winger role he is asked to played. 

His most dangerous aspect as a player is coming inside and shooting/linking up so I don’t know why we would play him on the other side… 

2 hours ago, Coollestersmoothe said:

Wasn’t there but my pal said his highlight, aside from the goal, was seeing Bill McWilliams “pull some neo shit” to avoid getting scudded by the ball. Gutted to miss that. 

Was the scarf used as a balance? I’d like to think the scarf had a purpose.

A very welcome three points. 

It was hardly an inspired first half performance but we got the goal at the right time and managed to see the game out until half time, although Airdrie can feel unlucky not to have scored. I have absolutely no idea how Dowds found himself in so much space at the corner but it was a well-directed header back across the goalkeeper. I thought the game largely passed McGeady by and i suspect he might have been hooked at HT were it not for Murphy having to go off early doors. 

Second half we looked far more purposeful for fifteen minutes and we were unlucky not to double our lead. It looked like some last ditch defending down the Railway End but it's impossible to tell from behind the goals. Pleased for the boys to get it over the line - i think we might need some practise at time wasting as we're not very good at it!

23 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

His most dangerous aspect as a player is coming inside and shooting/linking up so I don’t know why we would play him on the other side… 

We played him there at times last season and it did help to mix things up a little with him and Mullen.  He certainly has the pace and crossing ability to cause problems down the left.  

5 minutes ago, Roxanne's man said:

I personally am quite thankful that Rose wasn't brought on. The substitutions today were quite decent. Amartey looked promising and certainly annoyed the Airdrie defence. I'm hoping that Chalmers and Dowds are made permanent.

It's almost as if he actually watched the game today and made fairly sensible decisions. I am, quite frankly, stunned by that.

I was certain McKenzie would be introduced at some point.

Amartey and Smith done well when they came on, although that was obviously a forced sub with Murphy going off. The game passed Dempsey by (which it more often than not does imho) and I thought he should have gone off but overall Bullens subs weren't mental. Which is good.

5 minutes ago, Scott-ish said:

It's almost as if he actually watched the game today and made fairly sensible decisions. I am, quite frankly, stunned by that.

Amartey and Smith done well when they came on, although that was obviously a forced sub with Murphy going off. The game passed Dempsey by (which it more often than not does imho) and I thought he should have gone off but overall Bullens subs weren't mental. Which is good.

Dempsey and Young were a large part in the upturn in performance in the second half IMO - their energy and ball winning got us on the ball and up the park. 

7 minutes ago, Scott-ish said:

Have to disagree on Dempsey, I thought he was a controlling presence in midfield.

16 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Dempsey and Young were a large part in the upturn in performance in the second half IMO - their energy and ball winning got us on the ball and up the park. 

16 minutes ago, Shibuya said:

Have to disagree on Dempsey, I thought he was a controlling presence in midfield.

Dempsey was MOTM for me. Thought he was really good. Young impressed me again. He isn’t a brilliant passer but he’s all over the pitch when he’s pressing and wins the ball back. I think you need someone like him in the team when you also have McGeady or Syla in midfield. 

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

Dempsey was MOTM for me. Thought he was really good. Young impressed me again. He isn’t a brilliant passer but he’s all over the pitch when he’s pressing and wins the ball back. I think you need someone like him in the team when you also have McGeady or Syla in midfield. 

Yeah - it’s difficult finding the right balance with the players we have but both of them have bags of energy, which we absolutely need with the three we played in front of them. We were just far too passive first half. 

Far preferred the one up front too, and Dowds is very clearly able to do it - he is an excellent forward. 

Aye we weren't pretty today but I have to say it was good to see a higher level of pressure from the CM's. We must have won the ball back in the middle of the park more times today than we have in the last 4/5 games combined.

Our midfield are usually spectators, and while they did get turned a few times, they were a lot stronger than I can remember for a while. It was why we ended up getting into so many good positions in the last 15/20 mins (not that we did much with it), we won the ball high up the park taking advantage of Airdrie's indecisiveness.

First time at Somerset on a while,  pretty impressive structure going up,   what's the plan,  6 rows of seats and increased hospitality,   pretty high roof, don't think that will keep the rain off the north terracing....   Hopefully be finished for next time we visit..

8 minutes ago, Passionate said:

First time at Somerset on a while,  pretty impressive structure going up,   what's the plan,  6 rows of seats and increased hospitality,   pretty high roof, don't think that will keep the rain off the north terracing....   Hopefully be finished for next time we visit..

Aye, about 5/6 rows seats going in along the length of that wee walled structure at the top of the terracing. Couple hundred hospitality seats and about 550 general seats. Hospitality etc of course in the building too and eventually all the club offices will move in there too. Importantly, much improved toilets and catering facilities.

Have actually had the same thought about the roof, but tbh I don't really mind, I've never minded standing out there in all weathers. I think it might be good for keeping in a bit more of the noise from that side of the ground. Mostly just buzzing to be back on the North Terrace

Official line is that the stand will be open again start of next season. 

Edited by AuAl

18 minutes ago, Passionate said:

I hate not being able to stand in it but I am enjoying seeing the massive changes in it every time I visit the stadium. 

48 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Thought Young had a good game. Dempsey did ok but definately didn't see a MOTM performance from him. Wouldn't really expect to either, he's going to take a bit longer to get up to 100% and he definately tired midway through the 2nd half, hence why I thought he should be subbed.

For me McGinty was our best player today possibly followed by Ahui who defended brilliantly after his customary nervous start.

If we’re running with the 4321 for the remainder of the season, and I think we should as it’s probably the formation that will require as much surgery in January, then we’re looking at needing someone who’s more suited to playing in an advanced midfield role and a defender. Ahui did well today but until the one off performances turn into more of a run then I still think we need another option at right back. Given his height, I do wonder if Ahui could be an option at centre half. Would probably be better than having McAllister there. 

I think having Dempsey, Young, Syla and Smith is potentially good enough so long as we get that player in who can play further forward in midfield and support attacks. We could probably do with another striker to compete with Dowds but I think those two positions are the priority for January now. 

19 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

If we’re running with the 4321 for the remainder of the season, and I think we should as it’s probably the formation that will require as much surgery in January, then we’re looking at needing someone who’s more suited to playing in an advanced midfield role and a defender. Ahui did well today but until the one off performances turn into more of a run then I still think we need another option at right back. Given his height, I do wonder if Ahui could be an option at centre half. Would probably be better than having McAllister there. 

I think having Dempsey, Young, Syla and Smith is potentially good enough so long as we get that player in who can play further forward in midfield and support attacks. We could probably do with another striker to compete with Dowds but I think those two positions are the priority for January now. 

They are definitely the priority, but in that system we do need another striker too as if Dowds got injured the entire thing falls down as no one else can remotely play that role. We would obviously  need to offload though, as we would have four for that one striker slot.