The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

3 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

The players with a reputation also cost more and we are up against more competition to sign them. 

January is a month that frustrates all as you very rarely get exactly what you need. The big question marks for me is have we brought in players that are better than what we have. I’m confident with Sanders. I think McHugh is very different from Young and I think with Willoughby it’ll all come down to how he starts. He clearly need a bit of confidence so a good start on Saturday could get him up and running. All we’re looking for is enough to tide us over to the summer. I’m confident enough that the change in manager will play a far bigger role in that than who we sign. 

Other teams round about us manage just fine. we have to be different. We pay enough to bring players up from England to sit on our bench for 6-10 months before paying them off. 

Just now, D'Jaffo said:

Bullen chose and had final say on who we signed so you can’t say he was let down. 

I can, and I did.  He may have had the final say, but did he choose or was it just a lack of options?  I certainly don’t absolve him of blame, but he’s gone now, and we’re still puking up the same standard of signing.  There is literally nothing in Willoughby’s CV that suggests he’s up to it. McHugh is just a total shot in the dark.  Sanders ought to be decent I suppose.

Just now, Nelson said:

I can, and I did.  He may have had the final say, but did he choose or was it just a lack of options?  I certainly don’t absolve him of blame, but he’s gone now, and we’re still puking up the same standard of signing.  There is literally nothing in Willoughby’s CV that suggests he’s up to it. McHugh is just a total shot in the dark.  Sanders ought to be decent I suppose.

In what way is he a shot in the dark? Teams will look what a player can offer and decide from there. You might not like them taking a gamble but it’s not a shot in the dark. 

5 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Bullen chose and had final say on who we signed so you can’t say he was let down. 

Poor Lee Bullen blindfolded and forced to point at random at a list prepared by evil transfer overlord Mathie.  

3 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Other teams round about us manage just fine. we have to be different. We pay enough to bring players up from England to sit on our bench for 6-10 months before paying them off. 

But they don’t. Teams in this league are notorious for signing absolute dross. Unless you’re Dundee United or Raith and have a bit of pull (one way or another) then you’re stuck with the same merry go round of players or you try something different. 

Just now, D'Jaffo said:

But they don’t. Teams in this league are notorious for signing absolute dross. Unless you’re Dundee United or Raith and have a bit of pull (one way or another) then you’re stuck with the same merry go round of players or you try something different. 

Raith Rovers last season vs Raith Rovers this season. 

1 minute ago, itzdrk said:

Poor Lee Bullen blindfolded and forced to point at random at a list prepared by evil transfer overlord Mathie.  

The idea that Lee Bullen was handed a random bunch of players and told to get on with it is laughable at a club the size of Ayr. You hear about it happening at bigger clubs where owners will sign a player for the profile but there is no benefit in them doing it at this level when coaches are mostly inept even with their own players. 

People want someone to point the finger at but I’d suggest they get a basic grasp on how signings are actually happening before doing so. It absolutely isn’t Mathie and Glendinning playing football manager and thinking “aye he’ll do”.

Just now, D'Jaffo said:

The idea that Lee Bullen was handed a random bunch of players and told to get on with it is laughable at a club the size of Ayr. You hear about it happening at bigger clubs where owners will sign a player for the profile but there is no benefit in them doing it at this level when coaches are mostly inept even with their own players. 

People want someone to point the finger at but I’d suggest they get a basic grasp on how signings are actually happening before doing so. It absolutely isn’t Mathie and Glendinning playing football manager and thinking “aye he’ll do”.

Glendinning, with potential some involvement from Mathie, will collate a list or profile of players that they think will work. Of course the manager is involved in that final decision, but he is still hamstrung by how good the person scouting and working through the data is. 

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

In what way is he a shot in the dark? Teams will look what a player can offer and decide from there. You might not like them taking a gamble but it’s not a shot in the dark. 

He has no first team experience to speak of.  He has never kicked a ball at championship level.  He’s coming to us looking for a bit of experience at a time when we need an experienced player who will come in and hit the ground running, muck like Kerr and Bell did the year we won the league.  I’ll always give a player the benefit of the doubt, but we seem to be following a formula that has failed time and again.  Maybe this will be different, but in my view it is a total shot in the dark.  

1 minute ago, No_Problemo said:

Glendinning, with potential some involvement from Mathie, will collate a list or profile of players that they think will work. Of course the manager is involved in that final decision, but he is still hamstrung by how good the person scouting and working through the data is. 

But he doesn’t have to exclusively sign from that list. Players will be scouted and suggested based on what Bullen is looking for. Hence why we ended up with so many “hard workers”. Anyone can look through the data but Glendinning is there to compile it. He isn’t pushing a certain name onto Bullen. He’ll go away and compile data on literally hundreds of players. Some we’ll sign, some we won’t and some we might keep track on in case we need them I.e Young and Senga. 

I do think that Bullen wasn’t all that great at selling his ideas to players and that’s played a part in us missing out on so many first, second or either third choice targets. 

2 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

There's still more to it than that, head coach is involved in setting the parameters that the scout will go out and look for.  Bullen wasn't sitting thinking he could probably do with a new right back and dumbfounded when presented with a bunch of data on some centre mids.