The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Just now, Iain said:

I don’t disagree, but we’ve played in the promotion playoffs twice.

Entirely fair point and I'd somehow wiped it from my memory. The subsequent season was obviously not worse for lack of preparation, as opposed to [gestures at everything else happening at the time]

To clarify, what I meant about being in the situation, was being very unprepared for the coming season rather than purely playoffs. Play offs are shite and I believe it's something we do not need this season... At either end of the table! I would want us to be safe  and getting the best possible start to next season and with Broon and Whitty I think we're in the best position in years to prepared early and drilled for the coming season. Which has a whole host of benefits... Good, early season ticket sales being one of those.

And given the likelihood of a mahoosive rebuild ahead... We need as much time as possible.

Edited by F.T.O.F.1910

Arbroath were shite the season after they finished second and us and QP have been shite after challenging and finishing in the playoffs last year. It will have some sort of effect on preparation however scraping 4th and never at any point challenging for the title would be a different scenario to these examples. 

24 minutes ago, AyrAtlanta said:

Arbroath were shite the season after they finished second and us and QP have been shite after challenging and finishing in the playoffs last year.

QP's problem was almost certainly too much preparation for the oncoming season. Arbroath were never going to be able to replicate that season as even an enormously increased prize money payout wouldn't see their overall revenue compete with the bigger teams going forward, never mind attracting a lot of high-calibre players to play in a pontoon suspended half way into the North Sea.

interesting stat i've now got McKenzie is only 2 goal contributions behind Chalmers this season

Logan Chalmers (23): 24 Total Apperances (22 Starts, 2 Sub) 7 Goals, 4 Assist, Minutes Played: 1,819

Mark McKenzie (22): 29 Total Appearance (21 Starts, 8 Sub), 3 Goal, 6 Assists, Minutes Played: 1,752, 

obviously still not scored near enough for a striker but i think he's found his spot in this 10 position almost playing as a CAM (he's also now tied the amount of goal contributions he did last season (5 goals, 4 assists in 43 apperances (18 starts, 25 sub, 2003 minutes played)

4 hours ago, muZZa__44 said:

interesting stat i've now got McKenzie is only 2 goal contributions behind Chalmers this season

Logan Chalmers (23): 24 Total Apperances (22 Starts, 2 Sub) 7 Goals, 4 Assist, Minutes Played: 1,819

Mark McKenzie (22): 29 Total Appearance (21 Starts, 8 Sub), 3 Goal, 6 Assists, Minutes Played: 1,752, 

obviously still not scored near enough for a striker but i think he's found his spot in this 10 position almost playing as a CAM (he's also now tied the amount of goal contributions he did last season (5 goals, 4 assists in 43 apperances (18 starts, 25 sub, 2003 minutes played)

Benefiting from sclaffed shots being counted as assists though 😀

26 minutes ago, edinburghhonestman said:

Posts on here after Saturday and last night saying how we need Paddy back. How times have changed. Good to see.

It was hard to see from the SRE but in the first half it looked like Musonda took an absolute roasting off of Lawless. However in the second half he looked far more solid against him. Lawless is a very good player but is entirely one footed and that’s the reason he’s at this level. If full backs could remember that he’s always going to cut back inside rather than hit the byline it would severely hamper him.

In saying that, Murphy helped did a real number on him last night. I noticed at goal kicks Brown had Murphy at left back and Musonda further up to help win the high balls. 

1 hour ago, edinburghhonestman said:

Posts on here after Saturday and last night saying how we need Paddy back. How times have changed. Good to see.

Paddy has been better as of late but any competent left back really should look better than Musonda there.

I'm not sure that's really a high bar to judge him by.

Edit - It shows Paddy has improved more generally as for about all of last season I'd rather have played Musonda there.

Edited by Trogdor

The points we have picked up recently should have seen us almost safe. Whilst we have avoided bottom place now it looks like 9th is still up for grabs. Another 6 points might do us if we draw 6 times with teams around us instead of two random. As we have played the top three it would help if they now got back into gear and started beating all the teams around us. 

Last night reminded me a bit of the first Qp game earlier in the season. Lets hope Willoughby kicks on from some cracking finishing and maintains this type of form, something that Rose didn't do. 

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

It was hard to see from the SRE but in the first half it looked like Musonda took an absolute roasting off of Lawless. However in the second half he looked far more solid against him.

That is what I like about Musonda, he doesn't panic.  His composure / belief emanates, and I belief we are a better team with him in it, somewhere.

Thinking back to last night, and the goals we've given up over the past few games.
Brown and Whittaker have clearly instructed the defence to play a lot more narrow, in an attempt to shore up the centre, however a crossfield ball unpicks us.
Not sure what we can do about it in the short term, but it's obviously something that they know is an issue and will require work in the summer.

I am thrilled to see the team play with a bit of heart. I thought we were doomed when it went to 3-3, but fair fecks to the boys, to come back and win was extremely pleasing. Almost exorcises the play off games. Almost.......