The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 hour ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Jeeso, what a small time “plucky Ayr United’ attitude.

- Do we know how much we actually lost from lack of hospitality this year? Surely income from the hub, prize money from finishing 2nd and our money from the trip to Ibrox should have more than made up for this.

- If the target for this season was anything less than promotion playoffs ( I think we’d of accepted that it was highly likely Dundee United would win the league) then that’s an extremely poor attitude from the club

- You can’t fluke it over 36 games, we deservedly finished 2nd. 

- What we’re out atendences this season to last? Has it gone down that dramatically that it would affect our budget? I doubt it 

In the grand scheme of things building our new stand was a massive project for the club and the cost also rocketed up over the course of the project. It's a big ask to fund this and also put a top end team on the pitch imo. I reckon the club played it safe with the financing of the squad this year whilst this was going on although they would never admit that as gate receipts to think of.  Next season i would expect the focus to be about on the pitch and more ambitious targets to reach

1 hour ago, Scott-ish said:

No reason not to be apart from us having an absolutely horse shit squad, useless manager, absolutely zero style of play or identity and reduced income from hospitality. Had the season gone on another month we'd have been in massive trouble. 

So yes, there's lots of reasons we had no danger of troubling the top of the league. 

Do you forget just how bad we actually were? 

I'd never say i was happy to be bottom half of the table but finishing 7th has actually exceeded my expectations.

Tbf there are a lot of teams in our league who don't seem to be fully firing. Not sure if it's a lack of o money thing and the inconsistency makes the league interesting. If it stays the same for next season then it won't take much to push us on. It's actually quite difficult to predict and who knows when some of the bigger teams might get their act together 

13 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

I am not saying that our aim for next season should be to win the league, but we should be looking to at least finish in the top 1.

MV5BMjY3MTcxZTYtYjZiYy00MzU1LTlhN2UtNTQ0YzJjODZiYjIwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTQ0NDExMjQ@._V1_.jpg

1 hour ago, Caledonian said:

A position achieved over 36 matches cannot be defined as a fluke. There were stretches of the season when we were top.

Yes, due to an unlikely miracle signing who was unplayable for the first third of the season.

It was not literally random chance but the team's consistency went entirely out of the window after Halloween (after which they never returned to the top) and on the last day they were two minutes from finishing fifth.

2 hours ago, ayrunitedfw said:

- Do we know how much we actually lost from lack of hospitality this year? Surely income from the hub, prize money from finishing 2nd and our money from the trip to Ibrox should have more than made up for this.

This is almost too stupid to respond to, but do you realise that had the club had the Akinyemi money, and the Ibrox game, and significantly higher matchday revenue, that it would have had more money overall? That the SFA didn't arrange for Ayr's cup results based on their missing a stand?

1 minute ago, Superhursty7 said:

The books better than the film.

as someone who had to read the book and watch the film for an English assesment i do agree the book is way better but Michael Sheen was really good as Clough

5 minutes ago, Thumper said:

That the SFA didn't arrange for Ayr's cup results based on their missing a stand?

Maybe they spent some Dipo money on getting a hot ball the same way Rangers and Celtic do?

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Superhursty7 said:

The books better than the film.

Never read the book myself but a bit apprehensive that it got sued by Johnny Giles. However the movie is a masterpiece and whoever played Taylor is a genius.

Edited by THEHonestman1910

Posted (edited)

I would think some accrued £ had to be spent on releasing L.B. and bringing Broon and Whitty in and now timmins back. I seen Brown and Whitty singing as very much a statement of intent from the club. It's just the anxiety at the moment after poor communication and poor recruitment so I hope to heck, we're given some good news soon... then we can all get excited A.F. But then... we've all be Ayr fans lang enough....!

Edited by F.T.O.F.1910

2 minutes ago, THEHonestman1910 said:

Never read the book myself but a bit apprehensive that it got sued by Johnny Giles.

tbf the movie company was also sued by Dave Mackay over his portrayal and well the clough family disapproved of both

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, THEHonestman1910 said:

Never read the book myself but a bit apprehensive that it got sued by Johnny Giles. However the movie is a masterpiece and whoever played Taylor is a genius.

There is a ton of artistic licence taken in the book, and Giles is portrayed as a bit of a ticket. But the book is cracking. Much darker in tone than the film. Both were great though. 

Should tap David Peace to do Ayr united’s cursed season under David Hopkin. 

Edited by Coollestersmoothe

1 hour ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Yes mate, because what I want to spend 22 quid on my day off is, watching a squad which by your own admission is "absolutely horrific".

Very stout of you to be one of the neither rain, nor snow mob but my days of doing that are over.

To build a better team we need people to go and pay through the gate tho...how can you expect better players if you don't go??

How do you suggest we fund this?

Ideas on a postcard please...

1 hour ago, itzdrk said:

It was evident very early last season that we were going to be absolutely shit, we were clinging onto hope that unknowns like Pendlebury and Rose were going to be good.  We knew the defence were going to be bad.  

Our entire midfield got wiped out and the club made the decision to bring in a trio who had never played a game of football between them.  

We had a terrible manager.  Who we have fortunately been freed from.  

Our new manager had a matter of days to get any extra bodies in, how we aren't staring down the barrel of league one after a 3-0 first leg defeat away to Montrose is incredible really. 

Nothing to be celebrated really, just a very good job done by Scott Brown. 

Absolutely this...

With the folk we have in contract and if the likes of Frankie and Paddy etc get new contracts the nucleus of the squad is there, the big thing and the difficult thing that Brown needs to do is make sure every new player coming through that door is a starter and better than what's here already, if he makes sure the 7 or 8 players that come in can do that we will have a shout of at least top 4.

7 minutes ago, OnlyAyrfaninTarbolton said:

To build a better team we need people to go and pay through the gate tho...how can you expect better players if you don't go??

Do not sign shite en masse with what money they do have.

signed:,

UpInTheAyr

xoxo...

I see that's the club advertising for 2 x SLO's as Jamie is stepping down and 1 x DLO.

Whisper it but things off pitch have started promising this summer...

12 minutes ago, Rb123 said:

I see that's the club advertising for 2 x SLO's as Jamie is stepping down and 1 x DLO.

Whisper it but things off pitch have started promising this summer...

I'd do it for a free gilet.

1 hour ago, OnlyAyrfaninTarbolton said:

Not this again.