The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

4 minutes ago, Scott-ish said:

It would have been a bit mental for the club to even consider top 4 being a feasible aim. The quality of the squad and obvious lack of funds wouldn't have allowed it.

The recruitment should have been much better but trying to just stay up was exactly where I thought we'd be this season. Box ticked, time to kick on now. 

Squads still shite though.

It would be mental to challenge Airdrie, Dunfermline and Morton for fourth, after finishing second the previous season? 

C’mon now…

36 minutes ago, Scott-ish said:

It would have been a bit mental for the club to even consider top 4 being a feasible aim. The quality of the squad and obvious lack of funds wouldn't have allowed it.

The recruitment should have been much better but trying to just stay up was exactly where I thought we'd be this season. Box ticked, time to kick on now. 

Top 4 should have been the minimum, absolutely no reason for it to not be. And whatever income was missing from hospitality, I'm sure finishing 2nd, the Scottish cup run and the DIpo money would have made up for it.

If their aim this season was just to stay up then I'm glad I hardly ever bothered going. Saved myself a fair few quid.

1 hour ago, No_Problemo said:

It would be mental to challenge Airdrie, Dunfermline and Morton for fourth, after finishing second the previous season? 

C’mon now…

I think the funny bit was us on a bit of form and it becoming a brief possibility and every one of us hoping it didn't happen 😂

3 hours ago, OnlyAyrfaninTarbolton said:

To be fair with the hospitality opening back up we should have a bit more to play with next season.

Last year was always going to be about staying up...job  done.

2 hours ago, Thumper said:

Second was a fluke and the club wasn't prepared for it, and was hardly going to throw money at promotion the following season with a steep drop in matchday revenue from the missing terrace and hospitality. Fair to say the aim was still not to scrape eighth like it was two season previous, hence Bullen's exit, but nothing about this season ever screamed ambition. (Barring Brown, maybe, possibly, hopefully.)

1 hour ago, Scott-ish said:

Jeeso, what a small time “plucky Ayr United’ attitude.

- Do we know how much we actually lost from lack of hospitality this year? Surely income from the hub, prize money from finishing 2nd and our money from the trip to Ibrox should have more than made up for this.

- If the target for this season was anything less than promotion playoffs ( I think we’d of accepted that it was highly likely Dundee United would win the league) then that’s an extremely poor attitude from the club

- You can’t fluke it over 36 games, we deservedly finished 2nd. 

- What we’re out atendences this season to last? Has it gone down that dramatically that it would affect our budget? I doubt it 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, OnlyAyrfaninTarbolton said:

To be fair with the hospitality opening back up we should have a bit more to play with next season.

Last year was always going to be about staying up...job  done.

Even before the hospitality opens, we've got the balance of the Dipo transfer fee and the Rangers cup game to come in to this season's accounts. We made about £20k profit in 22/23. In the season just gone our revenue is down ~£40k on gate receipts plus the hospitality money, plus less prize money for league position. It's difficult to work out without exact figures, but overall I'd expect us to be a bit better placed financially than 12 months ago.

Edited by edinburghhonestman

2 hours ago, Thumper said:

Second was a fluke and the club wasn't prepared for it, and was hardly going to throw money at promotion the following season with a steep drop in matchday revenue from the missing terrace and hospitality. Fair to say the aim was still not to scrape eighth like it was two season previous, hence Bullen's exit, but nothing about this season ever screamed ambition. (Barring Brown, maybe, possibly, hopefully.)

A position achieved over 36 matches cannot be defined as a fluke. There were stretches of the season when we were top.

1 hour ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Top 4 should have been the minimum, absolutely no reason for it to not be.

No reason not to be apart from us having an absolutely horse shit squad, useless manager, absolutely zero style of play or identity and reduced income from hospitality. Had the season gone on another month we'd have been in massive trouble. 

So yes, there's lots of reasons we had no danger of troubling the top of the league. 

Do you forget just how bad we actually were? 

I'd never say i was happy to be bottom half of the table but finishing 7th has actually exceeded my expectations.

Obviously we all wanted to finish high up so in no way was it plucky wee Ayr united crap...

It was a note realistic crap considering the loss in revenue and the squad we had....

Which as we all know was absolutely horrific ..

To not go is only making things worse.....

The only reason we finished 2nd was Dipo, up to the end of January he was an absolute cheat code but once his performances dipped due to either not getting his move in January or other teams realising we were a one man team and triple teaming him we never looked like a championship winning team.

21 minutes ago, Scott-ish said:

No reason not to be apart from us having an absolutely horse shit squad, useless manager, absolutely zero style of play or identity and reduced income from hospitality. Had the season gone on another month we'd have been in massive trouble. 

So yes, there's lots of reasons we had no danger of troubling the top of the league. 

Do you forget just how bad we actually were? 

I'd never say i was happy to be bottom half of the table but finishing 7th has actually exceeded my expectations.

Did you forget season targets are decided before the season actually, starts?

9 minutes ago, Superhursty7 said:

The only reason we finished 2nd was Dipo, up to the end of January he was an absolute cheat code but once his performances dipped due to either not getting his move in January or other teams realising we were a one man team and triple teaming him we never looked like a championship winning team.

To be fair we seemed nailed for 5th with 5 minutes left of our season and if wasn't for a late winner from McKenzie and every result going out way, it would've been 5th. We finished 2nd but it wasn't all down to Akinyemi like what most people seem to believe.

17 minutes ago, OnlyAyrfaninTarbolton said:

Obviously we all wanted to finish high up so in no way was it plucky wee Ayr united crap...

It was a note realistic crap considering the loss in revenue and the squad we had....

Which as we all know was absolutely horrific ..

To not go is only making things worse.....

Yes mate, because what I want to spend 22 quid on my day off is, watching a squad which by your own admission is "absolutely horrific".

Very stout of you to be one of the neither rain, nor snow mob but my days of doing that are over.

3 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Yes mate, because what I want to spend 22 quid on my day off is, watching a squad which by your own admission is "absolutely horrific".

Very stout of you to be one of the neither rain, nor snow mob but my days of doing that are over.

That’s not very #weareunited of you, is it?

18 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Did you forget season targets are decided before the season actually, starts?

And you think a realistic target, after looking at the squad and the season we'd had previously, was to go for promotion?

I'm all for a bit of optimism but that's unrealistic.

Actually that's a lie I'm not an optimist at all, I'm a miserable c**t. 

Does seem a very, SRE FB page happy clapper attitude about the season you've adopted though.

7 minutes ago, Scott-ish said:

And you think a realistic target, after looking at the squad and the season we'd had previously, was to go for promotion?

Never said promotion. Top 4. Absolutely a realistic target.

8 minutes ago, Scott-ish said:

Does seem a very, SRE FB page happy clapper attitude about the season you've adopted though.

Right, because I've got form for that.

7 minutes ago, Scott-ish said:

I'm all for a bit of optimism but that's unrealistic.

Actually that's a lie I'm not an optimist at all, I'm a miserable c**t. 

I think your missing the point mate. At the point the season finished last year the target for this season should have been playoffs. The fact the club then proceeded to recruit poorly and our expectations were therefore lowered is a criticism of the club rather than saying we’re happy with staying up.