The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

8 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

It wasn't much different today to the Queen of the South game other than it crashing for a few minutes.  

Points where the cameraman doesn't move the camera to follow the ball. 

Little or no zooming so everything is far away. 

Camera position is slightly too low. 

Image quality is terrible. 

Was anything said during the stream about the issues? 

Yeah it was the quality i was talking about when saying about it being poor and unacceptable today.

In a world where we have 4k and shit i think we should be able to produce viewing which isn't looking like it's through a Kodak camera from about 15 years ago.

I'm not saying it should be 4k either just that HD i think should be reachable. 

I switched the pixellot stream for a bit and the angle was much better. Could we look into doing what Alloa are and having manual control? Better angle with smoother zooming and panning and it looked like better image quality. I found it hard to keep up with play and see the far side.

I understand that we maybe need to reduce the image quality to improve stability due to bandwidth but that really needs sorted. Might depend on 5G/fibre availability at the ground I guess.

Just to add some positives, I really enjoy the half time show. It’s great to speak with past players. It’s a personal thing,but my old man has really enjoyed the nostalgia; it’s nice to see him brightening up to talk about past games.

Don't know if the network they are using is up to it or not, or the hosting system is coping. The Pixelot cameras seem to be more stable in broadcast quality, but that doesn't matter when you are watching a seagull or a linesman rather than any football. somewhere in between would be bearable. 

I don't know if the network can be improved or what the issue is, it did seem like after 20 minutes they tried to  switch it off and back on again. 

The danger is, with an unreliable stream you are going to get more people watching over the wall at Somerset or more people watching illegal streams that are more reliable than the legal one. 

2 hours ago, super_carson said:

I understand that we maybe need to reduce the image quality to improve stability due to bandwidth but that really needs sorted. Might depend on 5G/fibre availability at the ground I guess.

I thought all of Ayr and Prestwick now had available High speed fibre optic connections?

7 minutes ago, mugen_power said:

I thought all of Ayr and Prestwick now had available High speed fibre optic connections?

If so, then in theory the connection should be stable enough for a his-res stream.  Issue may come with servers/hosting in that case.  

3 hours ago, super_carson said:

1080p at 60fps requires bandwidth of approximately 11Mb. That is achievable even on 4G  let alone fibre. For comparison, at my home with BT fibre I am getting about 80Mb upload (based on a speed test - BT claim a higher theoretical bandwidth). I cannot understand why we cannot get this right.

Morton got a lot of things right last week in terms of the coverage but I don't think their frame rate was great. At the time I thought it was not great, and the highlights were only 25fps. For live sports, the key thing is getting a good frame rate. They need to focus on this first and once they have resolved that they can look at camera position, number of cameras and other aspects.

9 minutes ago, rgreig said:

1080p at 60fps requires bandwidth of approximately 11Mb.

Morton got a lot of things right last week in terms of the coverage but I don't think their frame rate was great. At the time I thought it was not great, and the highlights were only 25fps. For live sports, the key thing is getting a good frame rate.

By all accounts the stream was poor - I didn't see the stream but I have seen the raw footage from the "main" camera (on the gantry). The footage was very poor even for that less-than perfect viewpoint. That's on AUmedia, simply not good enough to sell. Watch the manager's interview on Youtube - another shocking picture.

I wouldn't get too hung up on resolution or frame rate (720p50 would be ideal imo). I believe they are streaming over a fibre connection but 11 Mbps seems excessive, 4-6 Mbps should suffice. I really enjoyed watching the Morton game last week and thought the pictures (2 cams, replays) were to a standard I was happy to pay for.

Caveat for all of the above: I am not watching the games on a spangly 4K TV, but my 4.5" has a built-in Teasmaid.

7 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Dunfermline were filming today, probably for a highlights package. Will be interesting to seeif theres any difference in picture quality as they were on the gantry as well 

Just their analysis cam. I'll post the Ayr highlights in the match thread.

5 minutes ago, wuffster said:

Just their analysis cam. I'll post the Ayr highlights in the match thread.

I thought the away team went allowed to have their own camera(s)  at games in order to reduce the numbers present. I'm sure this has been mentioned on other threads.  

What's our thoughts on the boy Reading? Been okay but certainly no match to Harvie at this stage, although he did drastically improve in last year at the club so time yet. think it would be fair enough to say he's solid enough in defence but doesn't offer much going forward. Would say his best game i've watched of him was the Partick Thistle friendly where he seemed to be further up the park.

I think the chap doing it is DAFC backroom staff. Ayr is Tier 3, perhaps the situation in Dumfries will change things?
Unlikely. Away cameras haven't been banned as such but the clubs all agreed not to send away media cameramen. As you say, some analysts are still going as part of the backroom staff.

It's no different at Palmerston. Even though we're in a lower tier media spaces at the ground are still very limited.

7 hours ago, rb123! said:

What's our thoughts on the boy Reading? Been okay but certainly no match to Harvie at this stage, although he did drastically improve in last year at the club so time yet. think it would be fair enough to say he's solid enough in defence but doesn't offer much going forward. Would say his best game i've watched of him was the Partick Thistle friendly where he seemed to be further up the park.

It’s going to be hard for him as he’ll be compared with Harvie’s second season rather than his first.
Excluding his header assist last week I think overall he’s been fine defensively. Hard to criticise his attacking game since he’s not been able to build up a partnership on the left. If he can get a run of games with Walsh or Zanatta ahead of him then I’m hopeful we’ll see that side of him improve.

6 minutes ago, GaryMc93 said:

It’s going to be hard for him as he’ll be compared with Harvie’s second season rather than his first.
Excluding his header assist last week I think overall he’s been fine defensively. Hard to criticise his attacking game since he’s not been able to build up a partnership on the left. If he can get a run of games with Walsh or Zanatta ahead of him then I’m hopeful we’ll see that side of him improve.

We also can’t see a thing that he is actually doing during the first half of games at home so that doesn’t help either!

ETA, I don’t particularly understand why AU Media and Wuffster aren’t working together on the live stream. 

Edited by No_Problemo

1 hour ago, No_Problemo said:

We also can’t see a thing that he is actually doing during the first half of games at home so that doesn’t help either!

ETA, I don’t particularly understand why AU Media and Wuffster aren’t working together on the live stream. 

That's true and he's too far away in the second half.

On 19/06/2018 at 11:45, wuffster said:

AUmedia have jumped the gun here, unfortunately. The club, AUmedia and myself had agreed to look at live streaming home games next season. It was to be dependent on several things none of which have been finalised (including pricing). I am only going to be involved if I think the video side of things is reliable enough and of sufficient quality. Early tests look promising but we are not at the stage of selling subs. Annoyingly, I met up with all of AUmedia at Somerset on Saturday and there was no suggestion they were going public.

Glad there is some interest though! 

@No_ProblemoI think this might be a reason. It's from when AUmedia first decided to do a live stream for overseas but jumped the gun announcing it without testing first.

36 minutes ago, GaryMc93 said:

That's true and he's too far away in the second half.

@No_ProblemoI think this might be a reason. It's from when AUmedia first decided to do a live stream for overseas but jumped the gun announcing it without testing first.

The club are going to lose money unfortunately. As an Ayr fan I can accept the second half camera work and will pay for most of the league games but I won’t be paying for the Stranraer game. I think the Morton game has probably made things more frustrating as that should be achievable for us too. 

It isn’t enjoyable to watch at all.