The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Someone seems to think we're looking at a pre-contract from Morton, so could well be McAdams as a backup/cup keeper for Stryjek when McCrorie goes back

I dunno. The only player in that squad who looks like he could step up would be Lewis Strapp. He’s a left back/wing back but I don’t know if that’s a position you’d be looking to strengthen.

Just now, D'Jaffo said:

I dunno. The only player in that squad who looks like he could step up would be Lewis Strapp. He’s a left back/wing back but I don’t know if that’s a position you’d be looking to strengthen.

From the looks of it we've got Aaron Taylor Sinclair leaving, Brown returned to Cardiff in January and Serrano is back to Monaco in the summer too. So would make a fair bit of sense I think

From the looks of it we've got Aaron Taylor Sinclair leaving, Brown returned to Cardiff in January and Serrano is back to Monaco in the summer too. So would make a fair bit of sense I think

I’d imagine it’s him them. Also fits in with Martindale looking at younger guys who’ve stood out at a lower level and can step up.

McAdams looks like he’ll have a decent career but I think he’ll go to another team at this level first. If we aren’t able to get Ross Doohan I’d love it if we could get him.

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

I’d imagine it’s him them. Also fits in with Martindale looking at younger guys who’ve stood out at a lower level and can step up.

McAdams looks like he’ll have a decent career but I think he’ll go to another team at this level first. If we aren’t able to get Ross Doohan I’d love it if we could get him.

Wouldn't Strapp need a compensation fee to be paid though? Only 21 and been at Morton his entire career, McAdams would be a fairly minimal fee I'm sure. Not sure we'd come out and pay a decent sized fee

6 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

While your here @ATLIS, how has Nicky Devlin been for you this season? I’m sure I asked about a year ago and a lot of livi fans didn’t really rate him but he seems to have been a mainstay this season. 

He's been great. He's a strong and reliable RB. Had his best game at Livi against Hamilton a few weeks ago. It was rough last year as he'd took 4 months out with a bad bad injury he got against Hearts. Think now we're seeing the type of player he is when he's had a consistent run of games. 

He's got everything we need, pace, power and committed to putting his body on the line. Only thing that lets him down really is getting caught out of position and his crossing is inconsistent but he's a great guy and a solid starter every week

50 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Someone seems to think we're looking at a pre-contract from Morton, so could well be McAdams as a backup/cup keeper for Stryjek when McCrorie goes back

From what I've seen of him (admittedly not very much), I'd be amazed if he makes the step up to the Prem. 

Just now, Thereisalight.. said:

From what I've seen of him (admittedly not very much), I'd be amazed if he makes the step up to the Prem. 

To be fair he'd be sitting on the bench 90% of the season until our young American keeper Schwake is up to it

Since we’re hearing about potential Livingston targets, what are we going to be needing for next season presuming we stay up that is? I think we’ve hopefully learned from last summer not to get too overexcited by who comes in as it can very easily not work out.

2 hours ago, ATLIS said:

He's been great. He's a strong and reliable RB. Had his best game at Livi against Hamilton a few weeks ago. It was rough last year as he'd took 4 months out with a bad bad injury he got against Hearts. Think now we're seeing the type of player he is when he's had a consistent run of games. 

He's got everything we need, pace, power and committed to putting his body on the line. Only thing that lets him down really is getting caught out of position and his crossing is inconsistent but he's a great guy and a solid starter every week

Him getting caught out of position was always a bit of a failing when he was with us, but we was our only attacking outlet for 98% of the season 

not sure who I’d prefer to come back him or Liam smith 

Edited by ryanayr1987

2 hours ago, ATLIS said:

Would surely be a strange time for a young keeper like McAdams to step up to a "smaller big team" if that makes sense, just to play as backup.  Another season or 2 in the Championship at his age for Morton / Ayr / whoever has to be a better move than sitting on the bench for Livi.   Just look at Doohan going to Ross County instead of us again as a perfect example.   Good young keeper who was getting good experience and has now absolutely wasted a year of his career

2 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Since we’re hearing about potential Livingston targets, what are we going to be needing for next season presuming we stay up that is? I think we’ve hopefully learned from last summer not to get too overexcited by who comes in as it can very easily not work out.

Goalkeepers

• Going to most likely need two, Sinisalo has been very good however i suspect Aston Villa will wish him to continue his development at a more competitive level in League 1 or 2 in England next season
  • Unsure if we have an academy goalie who is at a good enough level to step up to 1st team back up, losing Hare-Reid was a blow as he fitted the bill quite well
  • Ross Doohan could possibly be an option? Unsure what will happen with him at Celtic, looks like they're favouring Hazard more, would like us to be able to tie done a goalie to a permanent deal instead of constant loans, i mean who was the last No1 who was a permanent signing? I'm inclined to say Greg Fleming but unsure??

Defenders

• Probably looking at 2 CB's, unsure if we'll keep Ndaba for next season , would say it's highly unlikely with new setup in at Ipswich saying they have a very large squad with big clearout expected so Ndaba will probably be given a look in more, or he gets punted....
  • Think we can work around Baird, has had his moments but overall been good, no Michael Rose though, unsure if Roscoe will stay or go, edging towards leaving i'd expect, think Muirhead going forward will play a midfield role but unsure which equates for probably needing 2 CB'S including Muirhead and Baird.
  • Presuming Houston and Reading are staying, i'd say in the last couple of months the full back positions have probably been the most consistent performers, could really do with cover though, a full back who could play either side would be nice.
  • Unsure what will happen with Ecrepont, doesn't exactly seem to have worked out at Albion Rovers with him being on the bench a lot of the time, unsure if a loan move to a league one club is a step too far yet.

Midfield

• In term of central midfielders can't see much change, would expect Murdoch, Miller and Chalmers to be staying, Miller may be more questionable, if we can get something from Jamie Barjonas he may be a very decent signing for this level. Kyle Turner has been shipped out to Airdrie on loan from Dunfermline, was highly rated at Stranraer and McCall was apparantly after him before he chose Dunfermline, wonder if he would be a consideration for the summer if he moves on?
  • Need a CM though which is 'different' to what we've got, someone who is more of a tidy upper and  willing to muck in and get dirty, could say Muirhead for that job however difference between him and Adams is Muirhead doesn't know what the limit is and ends up doing stupid stuff to get sent off, Muirhead is the exact type of player which Jamie Adams would be able to wind up so easily. 
  • Attacking midfield is a lot more interesting, McCowan will i very much hope be staying, that'll be a very deflating start to the summer if he goes, Tom Walsh i expect to stay, shows flashes and hopefully can build on that by firstly staying fit, missing almost the first 3 months of the season because of injury certainly hasn't helped him. Cammy Smith would love to stay but looks destined for America, looking back was probably only signed on the short term basis until covid cleared up and then this summer we'd allow him on his way to go to America.
  • Zanatta i'd of thought will get punted, all in all been a disaster through a combination of not playing much and when playing doing very little, must be a reason though from what is seen in training as to why he isn't playing.... we need a couple of attacking wingers at least IMO along with probably 1/2 CAM

Attack

• Area which is going to require massive rebuild in the summer, Andre Wright i'd presume will be off, feel sorry for him because i thought he actually looked okay in his first few games, was just needing to add a bit to finishing game, then he got fucked with injury, Ayr United luck. Moffat if what has been suggested. is going to retire this summer onto an off field role, i think the time is probably right. Craig Moore i reckon will be away, again been destroyed by injury, the talent is there with proof being the season in league one where he pretty mutch matched Shanklands goal tally which looking back was some achievement. If Kerr was still here he might have got a pay as you play but don't think Hopkin will take the risk with that. 
  • We all know that since Shankland has left we've not got close to replacing his goals, we've not even had a striker who can score 10 a season nevermind 30, this is going to be the biggest piece of jigsaw to build in the summer probably, says a lot when Moffat has scored the most goals by any Ayr United striker since Shankland left.
  • Likely going to need at least 2 out and out strikers, depends if Hopkin is going to stick with one upfront or two, also need a good balance of one who can hold ball up and is an ariel threat and another who is pacey. 
  • Mark McKenzie looks like he could be a good player but i don't see him as being the messiah solution and able to score a barrel load.

All in all in a very long, winded out way Hopkin has quite a big job on his hands in the summer, the squad is okay in bits here and there but as we could all see before the season started is very unbalanced with lots of midfielders who can all play very similar roles, liikewise in defence and virtually no strikers. The squad could do with being beefed out too which i think Smith will allow Hopkin to rectify in the summer, as long as it isn't to Morton levels with about 18 midfielders!!

Don't think it need much but say 6 or so really high quality additions or hidden gems unearthered and we could put together a really good squad for next season, just need Hopkin to get them all firing in the same direction with any luck

Edited by rb123!