The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

31 minutes ago, SpoonTon said:

I'm going to give an honest and unpopular opinion. I think McGinty is ever so slightly better than Baird (who largely got off with being terrible because he came with a much more favourable reputation).

Which isn't to say that I rate McGinty, he makes errors every single week, some of which are utterly ridiculous, some just so basic. He also made that idiotic challenge to get sent off in the final league game at Arbroath (which turned out to be a blessing for us in the playoffs). He could never have played for us again. Baird can't cope with pace, switches off constantly, and loses his bearings on a regular basis. McGinty does the same, with added hilarious errors, but probably has more basic ability than Baird. I didn't like either of them. 

I've already given my opinion on Fjortoft - he'll either be a hero or a calamity if he signs for Ayr. 

I'm still waiting on you to sign Cameron Blues as well. Another player Hoppy really likes. 

Nail on head from what I saw in our streams last season.

If McGinty is signed then the only thing that could make it slightly more bearable is if we punt Baird out the door. We don’t have room for two clown shoes defenders although I’d rather have neither tbf.

Just now, D'Jaffo said:

If McGinty is signed then the only thing that could make it slightly more bearable is if we punt Baird out the door. We don’t have room for two clown shoes defenders although I’d rather have neither tbf.

We’ll be playing a back 5 so they will both be starting I suspect. 

Sean McGinty is absolutely fucking dreadful. His only barely redeeming quality is that he sometimes dribbles out of defence. That’s it.

Oh, and he applauds the fans which some of ours believed was as good as being a half way competent footballer.

Genuine commiserations if he is signing.

I said this when Morton signed him, but I can’t believe any manager watched Sean McGinty try to play football for a team in this division and thought it was a worthwhile decision to sign him.

And I understand it’s the same manager making the same decision again (which is probably more damning of him than anything else), but it’s unbelievable that this disaster of a player will be getting another chance at a level he’s clearly incapable of playing at.

1 minute ago, ayrunitedfw said:

We’ll be playing a back 5 so they will both be starting I suspect. 

Weirdly even in that scenario (assuming we sign a competent keeper) I'd still be far less worried about the defence than the attack.  Both ourselves and Morton had reasonably good defensive records despite the likes of McGinty / Baird / Roscoe etc and with a back 5 and a holding midfielder combined with the inevitable no nonsense punt tactics I'd be happy enough that we will be hard to score against.     

I really can't see where goals are coming from though - it looks like Walsh and McCowan are likely to leave, Salkeld seems a trier but clearly not a scorer or assister.   Would need to pull a perfect centre forward signing from somewhere and that's the part that's giving me the biggest fear. 

3 minutes ago, SpoonTon said:

Only ICT and Hearts conceded fewer goals than us last season. I'd be more concerned about the signing of Salkeld than McGinty or Fjortoft, if I'm being honest. Both make ridiculous errors, though. See Fjortoft below (note the initial error and then the horrible attempt to recover from it):

Another very good point which will of course be lost on most.

I think supporters at our level actually need a bit of a reality check, like it or not, we support teams with budgets aimed at the bottom end of the second tier of Scottish Football, Yes, every so often we'll unearth a "diamond" as it were, however the harsh reality is that guys like McGinty are standard for our level and our shopping basket and we're not going to be signing Diego Godin, Chiellini or Bonucci as our centre backs (although you never know as all are about finished now).

From my own perspective, the two who've really stood out to me in past seasons were our own Michael Rose and Lee Ashcroft who really impressed me at Dunfermline before moving to Dundee, other than that one of the biggest "bomb scares" had to be Scott McKenna who seemed utterly hopeless although a big lump of a boy when he played for us, fast forward a couple of seasons and he's valued in the over £5 million bracket, who would ever have believed !!!

Irrespective of whether he stays at Cappielow or comes to us, I must admit that I quite like Fjortoft as seems a very intelligent, grounded and decent big lad plus always comes across very well in his interviews, so Yes, he's one I'd definitely take.

Anyway, I'm sure we'll have LOTS more of this speculation and debate to look forward to over the close season !!!

27 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Trying not to lose the head until it’s confirmed, but I’ll be foaming at the mouth at McGinty. Genuinely one of the poorest players I’ve seen at this level in all my years of going.

I didn't see you at any games last season.

Part timer.

Another very good point which will of course be lost on most.
I think supporters at our level actually need a bit of a reality check, like it or not, we support teams with budgets aimed at the bottom end of the second tier of Scottish Football, Yes, every so often we'll unearth a "diamond" as it were, however the harsh reality is that guys like McGinty are standard for our level and our shopping basket and we're not going to be signing Diego Godin, Chiellini or Bonucci as our centre backs (although you never know as all are about finished now).
From my own perspective, the two who've really stood out to me in past seasons were our own Michael Rose and Lee Ashcroft who really impressed me at Dunfermline before moving to Dundee, other than that one of the biggest "bomb scares" had to be Scott McKenna who seemed utterly hopeless although a big lump of a boy when he played for us, fast forward a couple of seasons and he's valued in the over £5 million bracket, who would ever have believed !!!
Irrespective of whether he stays at Cappielow or comes to us, I must admit that I quite like Fjortoft as seems a very intelligent, grounded and decent big lad plus always comes across very well in his interviews, so Yes, he's one I'd definitely take.
Anyway, I'm sure we'll have LOTS more of this speculation and debate to look forward to over the close season !!!

There is a middle ground between Sean McGinty and Diego Godin. I don’t believe that McGinty is standard for our level. From what I’ve seen I don’t think there is a worse centre back in the league and you’d probably find that the majority in League 1 are better than him as well.

Your centre backs don't need to be great footballers. There will always be room for a guy who sees the ball and heads it or kicks it the way he's facing, at this level. Whether McGinty is that guy I have no idea.

Fjortoft is a good player and would be a good signing for most I think. He was a standout in a lot of games he played. 

That said the rest of Hopkin's recruitment was absolutely mince and he signed a lot of players last season. He is welcome to take the majority of them with him.

Look on the bright side, at least if we sign McGinty we've got a ready made Chris Aitken / Robbie Crawford / Dario Zanatta to take our undoubted frustration out on !!!

28 minutes ago, Iain said:

Your centre backs don't need to be great footballers. There will always be room for a guy who sees the ball and heads it or kicks it the way he's facing, at this level. Whether McGinty is that guy I have no idea.

My recollection of McGinty at Thistle is that he was adept at bringing the ball out of defence and could be quite skilful with a good pass. However, his basic defending was largely woeful, to the point that conceding a corner felt like conceding a penalty

14 minutes ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

My recollection of McGinty at Thistle is that he was adept at bringing the ball out of defence and could be quite skilful with a good pass. However, his basic defending was largely woeful, to the point that conceding a corner felt like conceding a penalty

Should fit in perfectly with us then.

16 minutes ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

Must be a different McGinty. The Morton one just hoofs it as long and high as he can, which admittedly is impressively long and high!