The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

37 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Michael Moffat has apparently signed a new one year deal. 

Glad we get to give Moffat a proper send off. The man is a legend and my favourite. Love the guy, looking forward to shouting my usual 'Get Moffat on' this year. 

39 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Quite a bit of information in AP this week: Expected to announce two new centre half’s at some point this week. Also interested in Nick McAllister.

Hopefully they keep 'Bombscare' Baird out the team. 

No, they're actually a dime a dozen whenever a club signs a jobber and the happy-clappers demand that their previous record be discarded. 
Like shankland was?

There are loads of examples for both managers and players who look like they'll be a failure and yet turn out to be a big success. And the same applies the other way round.

20 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Todd is an odd one - I don’t really see him getting a better offer elsewhere. 

Was thinking the exact same, thought he'd be biting our hands off for a deal.

McCowan from two seasons ago playing with Forrest and a younger Moffat would have been a huge loss, however the McCowan from last season playing under a Hopkin style isn't going to be the big loss many may be imagining. 

That said, a very exciting talent and I'd wish him all the best.

14 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Like shankland was?

There are loads of examples for both managers and players who look like they'll be a failure and yet turn out to be a big success. And the same applies the other way round.

The argument never actually applies the other way round when a club signs a highly rated player, that's when you suddenly abandon your measured reserve before they pull on the jersey and clamour to give the club big licks for this nailed-on singing coup. Because the purpose of this tedious straw-man argument is not to withhold all judgment but rather negative judgment only.

This plays out on every single club forum in the country at this time of the season and there always happy-clappers running with the same line.

Edited by vikingTON

6 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Was thinking the exact same, thought he'd be biting our hands off for a deal.

McCowan from two seasons ago playing with Forrest and a younger Moffat would have been a huge loss, however the McCowan from last season playing under a Hopkin style isn't going to be the big loss many may be imagining. 

That said, a very exciting talent and I'd wish him all the best.

If we're going down the route of signing athletes who're industrial and work hard for the cause, McCowan would definitely provide a rare quality of skill and unpredictability.

In any team, in any league, the successful one's have the correct blend of attributes.

You need two or three that can play the piano and eight that can lift it. You could argue we didnt have enough lifters last year. 

Let's hope we're not going full circle next season.

Edited by BukyOHare

It might not be a particularly exciting signing but after the season I’ve just watched a hard working player isn’t a bad thing. As long as it’s complimented by the correct signings elsewhere, if we go on to sign half the Morton team then I’ll start to worry.

Losing McCowan is a big blow, though.

21 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Like shankland was?

Shankland signed in League One, a  league in which players can excel even if they've just come from the Juniors or the West Herefordshire Combine Harvester Division or whatever. There's not really such a thing as a risky signing in League One, even if said signing has just had an absolute nightmare with someone else at the same level.

Shankland actually had previous of being a good player. In fact he had more seasons of doing well compared to seasons of being poor. For some reason he was written off by most (including myself) but looking back it was only off the back of an admittedly awful season where he looked extremely unfit. However prior to that he had done well at Queens Park and earned his move to Aberdeen where he didn’t develop as much as they’d have liked. However whilst there he had solid loan spells at Dunfermline and St Mirren.

With hindsight he really shouldn’t have been written off but VT is correct in saying there are some amount of absolute jobbers that when they are signed they are automatically absolved of being absolutely shite elsewhere by fans who are almost desperate for them to do well. If we signed Sean McGinty then I don’t know how anyone could look at that and actually think he’d be worth a chance. I’m only giving Salkeld the benefit of the doubt because he seems to be a real grafter and has good physical traits. I’m not really expecting him to be technically good for us though.

1 hour ago, No_Problemo said:

Todd is an odd one - I don’t really see him getting a better offer elsewhere. 

Think he is from the Carlisle area- Could he possibly be off to Queens? I’m not overly fussed, he obviously got the crucial goal but apart from that not much. 

50 minutes ago, ComradeDiego said:

Any update on McCowan re-signing?

Unlikely to be re-signing. Got other offers. As long as he doesn’t go to another team in this division I wish him all the best. 

3 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Looks like it has been scarified which would make it softer and hopefully less bobbly, looks crap until the grass grows back

You know your stuff , that’s exactly what has been done , along with the planting of fresh grass seed 

3 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

As long as he doesn’t go to another team in this division I wish him all the best. 

He will absolutely be going to another team in this division. Another late valentine's card from Uncle Ian would not be remotely surprising.

2 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

You know your stuff , that’s exactly what has been done , along with the planting of fresh grass seed 

I did it to my own grass and made a complete James Hunt of it so here's hoping they haven't done the same thing there!