The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Typical Djaffo.  Has nothing intelligent to say so just resorts to name calling.  But whatever, if you think our recruitment strategy is going well, so be it.  

How about instead of crying about being called out, you actually try and understand that trialists playing tonight isn’t the end of the world scenario you are portraying it to be.

despite the midfield giving Stranraer a free run at them. 

Basically the same as the majority of last season then. We really need to sign someone that can play in front of the back line and organise our midfield. I didn’t watch the game but I’d guess they were pretty static off the ball? We either need to play Muirhead in there permanently (kinda need him at the back as well) or sign someone who can fill that role.

Just now, D'Jaffo said:

Basically the same as the majority of last season then. We really need to sign someone that can play in front of the back line and organise our midfield. I didn’t watch the game but I’d guess they were pretty static off the ball? We either need to play Muirhead in there permanently (kinda need him at the back as well) or sign someone who can fill that role.

Ideal for McGinty, 5 lads to cover behind him. 

Mind Jamie Adams? 

What a performance that was. Hibs at home wasn’t it? Ran about constantly and tackled everything in sight and was absolutely blowing out his arse after 20 minutes.

Think he signed for us the next day.

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Aye midfield did get overrun at times which is a bit worrying against league 2 opposition. Defence however didn’t put a foot wrong. 

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Its like an ice hockey game, Ayr seem to pull the midfield when we lose possession, we are never where the ball is.  

TBF to McGinty after all the scare stories (I know it's just a friendly against league 2 opposition) he did the simple stuff like clear his lines and win his headers gives a wee bit of hope he's not the disaster Morton and Partick fans would wish on us.

18 minutes ago, HMIP said:

A coherent recruitment strategy.  

i can only say again that I can’t think off hand of a single legitimate success story that has been brought to the club through this route in recent years.  It’s total scattergun stuff.    I’d feel differently if we had a solid team and we were just taking a punt on e.g. an overseas player that has been recommended to us through a trusted connection.  

I've been saying that for weeks, months and years even so absolutely no arguments from me there.

But for me a recruitment strategy is a longer term plan to have a strong nucleus on 2+ year contracts with succession planning in place to sell your best assets and have a bank of knowledge on players to replace them when the time comes. Mixed in with players on one year contracts and hopefully having a strong youth academy to provide players ready to play for the first team. 

All within an agreed profile of age, experience and ability to play within the framework of the team's formation. The use of analytics wouldn't go amiss either but l won't expand on that. 

It doesn't happen overnight though and requires total commitment from within the boardroom but more importantly having talented scouts, analysts and recruitment department within the club. That's where we'll fail. 

Having trialists playing in a one off pre season game is a totally different argument altogether though. Back in the day you could have them playing in the Reserve League West. The club would rightly be criticised for signing players without seeing them firsthand. 

We've actually got two strikers that scored goals tonight!! 👍👍

4 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

How about instead of crying about being called out, you actually try and understand that trialists playing tonight isn’t the end of the world scenario you are portraying it to be.

When did I say it was the end of the world?  Just making stuff up now I’m afraid.  I don’t particularly have a problem taking on a trialist if we are genuinely just assessing the fitness of a player who is some kind of known quantity at our level e.g. Jamie Adams.  That clearly isn’t the case here.  We genuinely seem to be assessing their ability to compete at championship level based on a nothing friendly against a League 2 side.  That’s a ridiculous approach to recruitment for a championship team given we are 2 weeks away from competitive football and are short of at least 5 championship quality players.  It really is clutching at straws.

4 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

I've been saying that for weeks, months and years even so absolutely no arguments from me there.

But for me a recruitment strategy is a longer term plan to have a strong nucleus on 2+ year contracts with succession planning in place to sell your best assets and have a bank of knowledge on players to replace them when the time comes. Mixed in with players on one year contracts and hopefully having a strong youth academy to provide players ready to play for the first team. 

All within an agreed profile of age, experience and ability to play within the framework of the team's formation. The use of analytics wouldn't go amiss either but l won't expand on that. 

It doesn't happen overnight though and requires total commitment from within the boardroom but more importantly having talented scouts, analysts and recruitment department within the club. That's where we'll fail. 

Having trialists playing in a one off pre season game is a totally different argument altogether though. Back in the day you could have them playing in the Reserve League West. The club would rightly be criticised for signing players without seeing them firsthand. 

We've actually got two strikers that scored goals tonight!! 👍👍

Completely agree.  The sad thing about Mark Kerr is that most of his signings made sense on paper.  You got the feeling that he’d identified players with the qualities he thought he wanted to build a team around.  Just turned out he got the balance all wrong, though I thought (and I’m sure he did too) that we’d get a hell of a lot more out of the likes of Baird, Walsh, Anderson and Chalmers.

12 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:

TBF to McGinty after all the scare stories (I know it's just a friendly against league 2 opposition) he did the simple stuff like clear his lines and win his headers gives a wee bit of hope he's not the disaster Morton and Partick fans would wish on us.

Based on previous I reckon he would be an ok league one player. Tonight wouldnt really have troubled him 

7 minutes ago, HMIP said:

though I thought (and I’m sure he did too) that we’d get a hell of a lot more out of the likes of Baird, Walsh, Anderson and Chalmers.

A fit and motivated Bruce Anderson would've made a huge difference to us last season. That it didn't work out only highlights the importance of decent recruitment and associated risks of them not working out. 

4 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

A fit and motivated Bruce Anderson would've made a huge difference to us last season. That it didn't work out only highlights the importance of decent recruitment and associated risks of them not working out. 

Maybe we should have played him as a trialist in a pre season game first ????

(sorry, couldn't resist)

Ive done a bit of digging and both Faal and Adeloye were at Barnet last season so will know each other. A Barnet fans page on twitter done a poll last month and 92% said they wanted to keep Adeloye while only 10% wanted to keep Faal. 

Edited by ayrunitedfw