The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 minute ago, itzdrk said:

But you can't play trialists in competitive games in the cup or the Championship.  

Correct.  So why waste time on this fool’s errand?  These are just guys some agency is throwing at us.  We’re making judgements based on edited videos on You Tube.  It’s an absolute joke and simply confirms again the serious concerns about Hopkin’s ability to recruit.  We need at least 5 championship standard players added, but instead are fannying about with no marks from the umptieth tier or English non league football.  

1 minute ago, ryanayr1987 said:

Wtf you on? We have played many trialists and gone on to sign many based on how they play in friendly games. 

also a bounce game is mid season behind closed doors designed to build fitness, friendly games are specifically for seeing talent you are interested in signing, blowing off cobwebs from a gap in playing and assessing who will be first team player in a preferred way of playing 

Who?  

Think the problem here is we're far to used to signing players with known pedigree straight up with out the need to see them as trialists.

Could give you plenty of examples where we've signed players off the cuff and no questions were asked because they came from Aberdeens, or Hearts, Rangers or Celtics youth systems etc.

If we're firmly relying on plucking out random talent from these random available players, I'd be worried. Fingers crossed we have other targets that can hit the ground running with no question expected

These games should be used to scope out opportunity, but playing teams like Stranraer make it difficult to judge if they can do a job for us in the Championship

Edited by diege

2 minutes ago, HMIP said:

Correct.  So why waste time on this fool’s errand?  These are just guys some agency is throwing at us.  We’re making judgements based on edited videos on You Tube.  It’s an absolute joke and simply confirms again the serious concerns about Hopkin’s ability to recruit.  We need at least 5 championship standard players added, but instead are fannying about with no marks from the umptieth tier or English non league football.  

No, we're making judgements in training and matches. 

I've had enough of a say as to our perceived failings but what more do you actually want? 

This HMIP nutter is one of the only posters I know where every single one of their posts fully convey how much of a seething state they’ve got themselves into.

It is fairly common for clubs at our level to play trialists in bounce matches. It’s less about seeing if they are Championship standard and more about seeing if they are fit, can follow basic instructions and can actually trap a ball. Further assessments can be made in training or by looking at match footage from previous clubs.

It’s just plain weird to be getting into such a state over Ayr having the sheer audacity to play trialists that we know nothing about.

1 minute ago, BukyOHare said:

No, we're making judgements in training and matches. 

I've had enough of a say as to our perceived failings but what more do you actually want? 

A coherent recruitment strategy.  

i can only say again that I can’t think off hand of a single legitimate success story that has been brought to the club through this route in recent years.  It’s total scattergun stuff.    I’d feel differently if we had a solid team and we were just taking a punt on e.g. an overseas player that has been recommended to us through a trusted connection.  

None of the trialists were standouts. Both forwards are worth another look, the boy with the long hair had plenty of energy but his positioning meant he rarely got a pass. The keeper didn’t have a touch so it’s hard to say.

Going forward, we only managed to create any real Chances in the first half, Adeloye did plenty of running early on and put himself about but burned out after maybe 35 min. After that it was mostly quick balls forward to no one like last year. The other forward looked like he could be awkward to play against and is worth another look.

Thought Houston played well, Murdoch in spells to when we played the ball on the deck but out of possession the midfield looked lost again, Salkeld had one glaring chance he didn’t take and I don’t remember him doing anything else. 

one positive was that I don’t think Stranraer got in our box let alone had a shot at goal, defended everything really well despite the midfield giving Stranraer a free run at them. 

The issue obviously isn’t that we have trialists playing, every team does it and will continue to do so. The issue is that we seem to be trying to find two effective starting strikers from playing trialists, which I imagine is going to be quite difficult to do. Incredibly risky too. 

I imagine Stranraer are going to be pretty dreadful next season, so difficult to judge someone properly based on playing them. 

13 minutes ago, HMIP said:

I'm hardly Hopkins's biggest fan but I don't see the issue with having a look at players in this manner.  

Also, just because one of the laddies has a YouTube video doesn't mean the analyst at the club is actually watching that, it will be far more in depth using wyscout where you can break down various examples of what a player does in situations which firstly isn't handpicked and is seen as pretty much an essential tool for both talent spotting from outside your network and opposition.  

4 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

This HMIP nutter is one of the only posters I know where every single one of their posts fully convey how much of a seething state they’ve got themselves into.

It is fairly common for clubs at our level to play trialists in bounce matches. It’s less about seeing if they are Championship standard and more about seeing if they are fit, can follow basic instructions and can actually trap a ball. Further assessments can be made in training or by looking at match footage from previous clubs.

It’s just plain weird to be getting into such a state over Ayr having the sheer audacity to play trialists that we know nothing about.

Typical Djaffo.  Has nothing intelligent to say so just resorts to name calling.  But whatever, if you think our recruitment strategy is going well, so be it.  

1 minute ago, HMIP said:

Typical Djaffo.  Has nothing intelligent to say so just resorts to name calling.  But whatever, if you think our recruitment strategy is going well, so be it.  

He’s not once said our recruitment strategy is going well, he was just pointing out that having trialists is a completely normal thing. 

36 minutes ago, AUFC 1910 said:

Where does one form a judgement on a trialist?

28 minutes ago, HMIP said:

Competitive matches.  Obviously,  

29 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

But you can't play trialists in competitive games in the cup or the Championship.  

22 minutes ago, HMIP said:

Correct.

Over It I Give Up GIF by Dreezy

12 minutes ago, HMIP said:

A coherent recruitment strategy.  

i can only say again that I can’t think off hand of a single legitimate success story that has been brought to the club through this route in recent years.  It’s total scattergun stuff.    I’d feel differently if we had a solid team and we were just taking a punt on e.g. an overseas player that has been recommended to us through a trusted connection.  

Mind Jamie Adams? 

Just now, Superhursy7 said:

IIRC Andy Murdoch appeared as a trialist before signing

He did. Against Forfar. The same game where a seagull fell to its death while McCall was being interviewed by Ayr United Media.