The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 hour ago, HMIP said:

Looks like there were a few clubs having a worse transfer window than us.  St Johnstone for one.  Misery loves company!

They atleast made money and had a couple of decent gates with the European ties. Would happily switch places without a second thought. We still have till the end of September, as Robbo says we can atleast hope there is someone inbound via a domestic loan or free agency. Hibs tried to punt 2 to St Mirren last night (Scott Allan and Drey Wright) so I'm clutching at the thinnest of straws here thinking we may see some movement / mutual terminations in the coming days, I'm not suggest we are going for Scott Allan or Drey Wright before anyone kicks off, I've not reached those levels of denial yet. 

Would so far rate this window as a D for us, still time for it to slip to an F.

If we win either of the two games, the usual will happen, there will be a misty eyed retrospective analysis of the other league games

Kilmarnock - they have started well

Arbroath - well, they beat “McCalls” Thistle

Inverness - they were unbeaten

completely ignoring the fact we stunk out every one of those games and barely registered a shot on goal, made the same basic errors and never managed to string 2 passes together.

even a stopped clock is right twice a day, we need wholesale improvement or a change of manager. Bright spells in a game or somehow scraping a draw doesn’t cut it for me any more. We need targets, We drew almost every game with Raith last season, Dunfermline are pish and then we play a boys team in the cup. 4 points and beating Rangers colts in a cup I don’t give a f**k about are a must, 2 defeats and a loss to a child’s team would be peak Hopkin and we can start asking for CVS

Bringing in good players is only part of the battle, you need them to play well and we aren’t. This doesn’t look like a piece of the puzzle is missing to me, it is far greater than a couple of players needed. I don’t think it is a confidence issue as a fear half this squad think they should be playing higher than Ayr. 

Part of me was hoping that we might be better than Morton, despite their good start as their squad looked very short. Since then they have recruited two who seem to be very good signings, as well as two from Newcastle who could obviously go either way. Arbroath look good - an outstanding striker at this level, and are always hard working and generally solid. We shouldn’t forget O’Brien went off injured in their game against us. Dunfermline aren’t finishing bottom with the side they have - once they change manager they will be fine. 

I don’t see how we are finishing above any other side in this league. 

Maxwell appears to be our only stand out player at this level, hopefully Adeloye will be too. Other than that most players range from lower championship to league one/two standard. 

Edited by No_Problemo

2 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Part of me was hoping that we might be better than Morton, despite their good start as their squad looked very short. Since then they have recruited two who seem to be very good signings, as well as two from Newcastle who could obviously go either way. Arbroath look good - an outstanding striker at this level, and are always hard working and generally solid. We shouldn’t forget O’Brien went off injured in their game against us. Dunfermline aren’t finishing bottom with the side they have - once they change manager they will be fine. 

I don’t see how we are finishing above any other side in this league. 

Peter Grant has received the boards backing already apparently, so he's probably gone in a couple of games. 

11 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Maxwell appears to be our only stand out player

The problem with this is, he’s still a young player. We saw with Kelly that he could be quiet for 2-3 games and then be back to normal. You’ll always get inconsistency in young players.

in Kelly’s case, he had good midfielders that could carry him if required during these dips. 

2 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

The problem with this is, he’s still a young player. We saw with Kelly that he could be quiet for 2-3 games and then be back to normal. You’ll always get inconsistency in young players.

in Kelly’s case, he had good midfielders that could carry him if required during these dips. 

Completely - in addition to this we are playing him in a different position than he is used to. 

1 hour ago, diegomarahenry said:

Maxwell was very consistent for us last year. He's a young player and his positional play at full back wasn't always magic but I appreciate you aren't playing him there. He also got on the ball from a deeper position with us but I think he was consistently good in his play on the ball all season. I think he played every game apart from the one he was suspended for after being sent off for diving in the opening game of the season at Somerset.