The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

3 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Yep

The team and manager have been phenomenal this season but because of this standards have gone up and we’ve slipped below them in the last few weeks.

They’ve rightly been lauded this season but we’ve hit a bad bid so folk have every right to criticise. Personally I’ve not seen anyone going too far on here. Facebook is a bit different but on here I can’t say anyone has been way off in what they’ve been saying.

What gets to me is that it seems that coming up and starting so well is almost counting against us.  Of course they have rightly been lauded!

We have a squad of about 16, a lot of whom have fans of every other club saying "how is a team with 'Shankland Adams Bell Kerr Moffat Geggan' who were all deemed not good enough for this league.

Now this small squad has had a blip, and still sits 2nd with a game in hand and yet the chat is all negative.

f**k me. 

I'd be interested to see how many players every team have used this season.  I might be wrong but think our guys may just be tiring a bit. 

3 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:
11 minutes ago, Hursty said:
Ahhh it's been a while since you came out with this pish.   Must be about a year? The 'happy clappers' like myself back then thought Cameron was doing a great job as chairman and that McCall was the right manager as we sat near the top of League One.  Been a decent year eh?  But now the 'happy clappers' are settling for 2nd in the Championship....

How long has it been since your smugness made an appearance, much shorter than a year, eh?

Not really an issue is it?

What would you have the club do differently, to make someone like myself who is enoying the last couple of years not be a 'happy clapper'? 

What are we aiming for?

Edited by Hursty

My one fear is that, like yesterday, whenever we get a chance to consolidate our position we seem to make an arse of it. We got away with it last year against Raith, I can’t see the same happening this year with both County & Dundee Utd in the mix. The points gained in the last six games that Div put on Twitter doesn’t make pleasant reading.

That's okay though because at the moment everyone else is making an arse of it too. Although with the signings other clubs are making, and due to make, you'd think it'd click for at least one of them to make a run at it. McCall said he expected it to tighten up and he's probably right, wouldn't surprise if it's only a few points separating the top six come seasons end

What would you have the club do differently, to make someone like myself who is enoying the last couple of years not be a 'happy clapper'? 
What are we aiming for?
Who said anything about the club doing things differently. How about not jumping down folks throat whenever they make the mildest criticism of the team or a performance, which usually includes the "remember where we were...." line. A line so worn out that not even McCall uses it any more

What gets to me is that it seems that coming up and starting so well is almost counting against us.  Of course they have rightly been lauded!
We have a squad of about 16, a lot of whom have fans of every other club saying "how is a team with 'Shankland Adams Bell Kerr Moffat Geggan' who were all deemed not good enough for this league.
Now this small squad has had a blip, and still sits 2nd with a game in hand and yet the chat is all negative.
f**k me. 
I'd be interested to see how many players every team have used this season.  I might be wrong but think our guys may just be tiring a bit. 

If saying we’ve not been good enough recently is negative chat then so be it. I’m not overly bothered to be fair as we’re doing better than anyone could’ve imagined but I think it’s natural for folk to be a wee bit annoyed at how we’ve been doing lately.

Fatigue may be an issue which would further back up the need for a couple of new faces but I believe it’s more a lack of confidence is the issue. We were flying after the Dundee Utd game but I think the second half vs Ross County was a kick in the stomach for the players and maybe shook them a bit. I’ve not seen any belief or confidence from our better players since that game. The high intensity we used to play at is gone and we’re giving teams time to sit in and defend which is never going to work.

I think however that one win is all we need to get a bit of belief back and ICT might be the place to get it.

3 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:
14 minutes ago, Hursty said:
What are we aiming for?

Who said anything about the club doing things differently. How about not jumping down folks throat whenever they make the mildest criticism of the team or a performance, which usually includes the "remember where we were...." line. A line so worn out that not even McCall uses it any more

It's the 'happy clapper' chat that annoys me.

We were very poor yesterday and nobody in their right mind would deny that.   

What is a 'happy clapper'? Someone like me who thinks the team have done pretty well in the last couple of years and is enjoying being a bawhair off top of a league we havent stayed up in since I was about 18?  Then aye fair enough, but again, what is the expectation?

3 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

If saying we’ve not been good enough recently is negative chat then so be it. I’m not overly bothered to be fair as we’re doing better than anyone could’ve imagined but I think it’s natural for folk to be a wee bit annoyed at how we’ve been doing lately.

Fatigue may be an issue which would further back up the need for a couple of new faces but I believe it’s more a lack of confidence is the issue. We were flying after the Dundee Utd game but I think the second half vs Ross County was a kick in the stomach for the players and maybe shook them a bit. I’ve not seen any belief or confidence from our better players since that game. The high intensity we used to play at is gone and we’re giving teams time to sit in and defend which is never going to work.

I think however that one win is all we need to get a bit of belief back and ICT might be the place to get it.

I agree and posted in the match chat that ICT away might well be the ideal game for us next.  Pressure off a bit and away to a manager under pressure who wont get away with sitting in and giving us all the ball but no space. 

As an outsider I`m fully expecting Ayr to kick on and have a good end to the season. Good manager and some very decent players.

My prediction for top 4 is Ross County, Ayr,  Dundee United and QOS.

No prediction as to who will be first but I`m hopeful we can make the play-offs and have a decent impact if we get there. Ayr still have every chance to win this.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

What is a 'happy clapper'? Someone like me who thinks the team have done pretty well in the last couple of years and is enjoying being a bawhair off top of a league we havent stayed up in since I was about 18?  Then aye fair enough, but again, what is the expectation?
A happy clapper in the context of this discussion is someone who won't stand for any criticism of the teams performance, who can't judge a game on it's own merit but instead thinks it has to be done in the context of the last four years. And who blows the mild criticism, and it has been mild, way out of proportion.

2 hours ago, UpInTheAyr said:
2 hours ago, Hursty said:

A happy clapper in the context of this discussion is someone who won't stand for any criticism of the teams performance, who can't judge a game on it's own merit but instead thinks it has to be done in the context of the last four years. And who blows the mild criticism, and it has been mild, way out of proportion.

Literally no one has tried to defend the performance against Falkirk. Literally everyone has been critical of it.

Literally everyone has said recent performances haven't been up to scratch and we need to improve.

There has been plenty of OTT reaction to it. 

It's our third defeat of the league season. This time last season we had lost five league games, three of those at Somerset. 

We're unfortunately a victim of our own success here. It's was obvious that some thought that we simply had to turn up to get three points yesterday because of who we were playing. It doesn't work like that and Falkirk are going to win quite a few games now.

Our support has always been weird.  I’ve preferred going to away matches for years now as the atmosphere is generally so much better.  Standing on the north terrace on Saturday I had 2 guys behind me howling abuse at Crawford and another to my left spewing bile at Mark Kerr (who has been a model professional for us) and cheered and applauded when he was subbed.  A guy to my right decided to get in on the act when McGuffie came on.  

Don’t know what the problem is.  Maybe it’s because we’ve had the longest run out of the top flight of any club in Scotland that we’ve developed a nasty streak of fatalism.  I must admit, I walked away from the Dundee Utd game delirious, with a voice in the back of my head saying “I hope this isn’t the high water mark for this team”.

It really struck me in the last game of last season when so few turned up to see a game when we still had a chance to win the league.  Sure, we thought we’d blown it, but I remember my mate saying he’d never forgive himself if he stayed away and we got a result.  You couldn’t not go.  And yet I know a few regulars who’ve been there through some lean times who did indeed choose to go shopping instead.  How do you account for that?

I guess everyone has their own tolerance point when it comes to being let down by someone/something you love (like Ayr United)? I was there on the last day (while there’s a chance and all that) but understand why some folk couldn’t face it. It did look like we had thrown it away in a spectacular fashion... even for Ayr United.

32 minutes ago, Mgc1910 said:

Our support has always been weird.  I’ve preferred going to away matches for years now as the atmosphere is generally so much better.  Standing on the north terrace on Saturday I had 2 guys behind me howling abuse at Crawford and another to my left spewing bile at Mark Kerr (who has been a model professional for us) and cheered and applauded when he was subbed.  A guy to my right decided to get in on the act when McGuffie came on.  

Don’t know what the problem is.  Maybe it’s because we’ve had the longest run out of the top flight of any club in Scotland that we’ve developed a nasty streak of fatalism.  I must admit, I walked away from the Dundee Utd game delirious, with a voice in the back of my head saying “I hope this isn’t the high water mark for this team”.

It really struck me in the last game of last season when so few turned up to see a game when we still had a chance to win the league.  Sure, we thought we’d blown it, but I remember my mate saying he’d never forgive himself if he stayed away and we got a result.  You couldn’t not go.  And yet I know a few regulars who’ve been there through some lean times who did indeed choose to go shopping instead.  How do you account for that?

Imagine if Chris Aitken still played with us...........

Seriously though, I don't understand all the negativity either.  This is an extremely tough league and the fact that we're still capable of going back top by winning our game in hand perfectly shows how competitive the league is and also highlights how well we're doing despite the perception of our recent run of form.

Is away draws to Dunfermline and QOS actually BAD results ?

Is a 3-3 home draw with Ross County a disaster ? Yes, we were indeed 3-1 up, but by the same token we were also 1-0 down in that match and if we want to start comparing budgets, well, there's only one winner there.

Don't get me wrong, I was standing out in the NT punching the crash barrier in frustration along with everyone else on Saturday, however despite our poor showing, our slow build up, and our lack of creativity, the bottom line was that we were not outplayed and we, at the very least, deserved a draw. and of course we were missing Shankland, Forrest and Geggan who would undoubtedly all have been on the pitch if available.

It didn't happen but we're not alone in having poor results this weeked and like Dundee Utd and Ross County we dust ourselves down and move on.

Come on guys, we're in a fantastic position here and Yes, given a few better results in recent weeks we could have been well clear at the top and Yes we're having a bit of a blip but so is everyone else.

What we need to all understand though is that it's a tough league and yet we've only lost 3 matches over the entire season which I believe speaks volumes and irrespective of what might have been we're right at the top and performing beyond any reasonable fans wildest expectations, so come on, let's all stick together and get behind our team that have so far given us all so much to sing and shout about this year !!!

1 minute ago, UpInTheAyr said:
3 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:
Please stop accusing others of smugness and putting down the opinions of others when you’ve posted pathetic shite like this. Embarrassing.

If I have to read your shite you have to read mine

Just pointing out your hilarious hypocrisy and smugness.

I can see both sides, on the one hand I would assume the majority of fans would have bit your hand off over the summer if you had offered them 2nd place in the league in the first week of Jan, 3 points back on first with a game in had. In fact I would bet a lot of Ayr fans would have settled for finishing 8th come May at the start of the season so where we are now is way above expectations. There will be many fans who have never see an Ayr team challenge at the top of the Championship, the same as there are a number who were bought up with us playing in the top flight, so you can understand a number of fans thinking that now is not really the time to criticise. 

However the last few weeks the performances have dropped, be it fatigue, other teams have sat back and defended, where we play better as a counter attacking team or maybe just being full time they have had a chance to study how we play and plan to counter it - also with a small squad we dont really have options to do anything different to suprise teams. For me what has been missing the last few weeks (since Dundee Utd) is the pace of the game. To be fair its much easier to pay a fast paced game when the game is open rather than  when you are faced with a full team behind the ball it can grind to halt at times. But we are not seeing enough of the little flicks, the quick 1,2's etc that can open teams up, maybe we are missing Forrest more than anyone else. Im sure McCall as much as anyone will know the problems and hopefully will be looking to rectify them.

I think everyone will have been dissapointed with the last few weeks given how the season had gone so far, but to be fair this has been one of the better ones in my lifetime, and probably the best team since the Hurst, Teale, Walker etc one - if you haven't enjoyed it bar the odd blip then I dont know what you would enjoy!

1 minute ago, rb123! said:

Bloody hell this is going to be a depressing five days on here until the Inverness game, can't see an imminent tweet either on the horizon to cheer things up.

If only there was an Alain Horace out there just waiting to be discovered..........................