The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Robbie won't be put on the bench,  he's one of McCall's starters. There's a case to be made  that he's played  on the left so often that this shouldn't really be an issue anymore, it's not like he doesn't have any experience there and  I've seen him play well there.

He started the season on fire on the left hand side.

However it’s obvious he’s far more comfortable in the middle and once Geggan comes back I doubt we’ll see him out wide again.

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

He started the season on fire on the left hand side.

However it’s obvious he’s far more comfortable in the middle and once Geggan comes back I doubt we’ll see him out wide again.

Didn't he play most of last season on the left?  I really can't remember.

The middle might be his preferred position but I assume he's got no  problem being shunted to the left if needed. If there was I'm surprised he signed on again as he must've known it was a likely possibility. It's good to have players who are versatile at this level anyway. Mind hearing McCall say Shanks had been playing as a 10 in training, which could be an option  if him and Moore both play again

Some of the posts on here are truly laughable. No-one is saying the sky is falling but since the Dundee United game our form hasnt been great culminating in yesterday's performance. The truth is we all feared a result like this was coming.  Its now on the team to see how they bounce back, previously, they have bounced back and with the character I fancy (or hope) them to do it again.

It is entirely appropriate to discuss why 7 points from our last 6 league games is poor and represents a missed opportunity. To take issue with that is a little strange tbh.

Didn't he play most of last season on the left?  I really can't remember.
The middle might be his preferred position but I assume he's got no  problem being shunted to the left if needed. If there was I'm surprised he signed on again as he must've known it was a likely possibility. It's good to have players who are versatile at this level anyway. Mind hearing McCall say Shanks had been playing as a 10 in training, which could be an option  if him and Moore both play again

Yeah he played out wide majority of last season and strolled through just about every game he played. In fact he was poorer when we moved him into the middle in the last few games of the season.

Some of the posts on here are truly laughable. No-one is saying the sky is falling but since the Dundee United game our form hasnt been great culminating in yesterday's performance. The truth is we all feared a result like this was coming.  Its now on the team to see how they bounce back, previously, they have bounced back and with the character I fancy (or hope) them to do it again.
It is entirely appropriate to discuss why 7 points from our last 6 league games is poor and represents a missed opportunity. To take issue with that is a little strange tbh.

Criticism is absolutely valid but folk get defensive when the criticism goes too far.

No-one is happy with the last 6 weeks (barring one spectacular win). It's all about perspective.

Totally agree with this and I dont know why we have reverted to playing Crawford on the wing (he is anonymous there!) better to play McGuffie (on the right) and have Robbie in the middle or on the bench.
Its so frustrating watching Harvie come forward with Crawford not running down the line and either remaining stationary and/or cutting in. When he does get the ball and Harvie overlaps Crawford ends up passing inside. A left winger he is not. I actually feel for McGuffie he must get pretty demoralised watching Crawford playing there whilst he warms the bench.
I think Crawford and Harvie can work well together, but it hasn't for a while. Harvie overlapping will create space for Crawford to cut inside, as defenders will be pulled out of position.

There's a nice triangle if moff takes it from Crawford, playing it to Harvie on the overlap.

But that's all really difficult when teams sit back against us. There are too many defenders now (which wasn't an issue earlier in the season) and our play is too pedestrian.

9 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

I think Crawford and Harvie can work well together, but it hasn't for a while. Harvie overlapping will create space for Crawford to cut inside, as defenders will be pulled out of position.

There's a nice triangle if moff takes it from Crawford, playing it to Harvie on the overlap.

But that's all really difficult when teams sit back against us. There are too many defenders now (which wasn't an issue earlier in the season) and our play is too pedestrian.

Thats why we should be getting the ball into the channels quickly. Get the opposition defence moving and crossing the ball in. Playing it inside and then back out is too slow when teams are playing with 5 at the back or 10 men behind the ball. 

Unfortunately, Crawford seems unable to do that and we are totally lopsided when he plays. Its made me realise how much I miss Alan Forrest.

Even Geggan on the wing is better than Crawford as he actually pushes forward. Hopefully Geggan and McDaid start wide against Inverness. 

ETA - You're right about the triangle with Crawford - Moffat - Harvie.

Edited by Trogdor

Criticism is absolutely valid but folk get defensive when the criticism goes too far.

No-one is happy with the last 6 weeks (barring one spectacular win). It's all about perspective.

Yep

The team and manager have been phenomenal this season but because of this standards have gone up and we’ve slipped below them in the last few weeks.

They’ve rightly been lauded this season but we’ve hit a bad bid so folk have every right to criticise. Personally I’ve not seen anyone going too far on here. Facebook is a bit different but on here I can’t say anyone has been way off in what they’ve been saying.

32 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Can only suggest you read back on some of the posts from the last 24 hours as well as some of the stuff on the SRE Facebook page as well as some of the responses to AU media posts.  There will be trolls in there no doubt, but some of the stuff is beyond OTT.  

I have no problem having a sensible discussion about our dip in form though.  I think most people who watch us regularly can see we lack quality in the wide areas which has become more of a problem with teams sitting in so deep against us.  Kerr and Forrest being unavailable  has definitely made us less effective at playing through the middle of teams as well.  Moore’s stupid red card against Morton didn’t help, but I think McCall had made a big mistake dropping Moffat anyway.  On the other hand, amongst those 6 matches we humped Dundee Utd in one of the most complete Ayr performances I’ve ever seen and were well on the road to beating Ross County until a rotten penalty decision and a force 10 gale whipping up screwed us.

42 minutes ago, Mgc1910 said:

Can only suggest you read back on some of the posts from the last 24 hours as well as some of the stuff on the SRE Facebook page as well as some of the responses to AU media posts.  There will be trolls in there no doubt, but some of the stuff is beyond OTT.  

I have no problem having a sensible discussion about our dip in form though.  I think most people who watch us regularly can see we lack quality in the wide areas which has become more of a problem with teams sitting in so deep against us.  Kerr and Forrest being unavailable  has definitely made us less effective at playing through the middle of teams as well.  Moore’s stupid red card against Morton didn’t help, but I think McCall had made a big mistake dropping Moffat anyway.  On the other hand, amongst those 6 matches we humped Dundee Utd in one of the most complete Ayr performances I’ve ever seen and were well on the road to beating Ross County until a rotten penalty decision and a force 10 gale whipping up screwed us.

Let’s not pretend that’s the only reason we lost the lead in that game. We had a rather soft penalty ourselves and our second half performance was a collapse in comparison to an excellent first half.

I don’t think I’ve seen anyone be overly harsh here. Maybe I’ve missed some pish on the SRE Facebook page or on the trerraces, but the general gist from most I’ve seen is that everyone is delighted at the season so far but naturally a bit disappointed that results and performances have dipped a little the past 2 months (Dundee United aside).

I’ve certainly noticed far more people getting far too sensitive to the slightest whiff of disappointment from fans after we drop points. After almost every time we drop points one of the first posts is from some uptight, holier-than-thou arsehole telling everyone to “GET A GRIP”.

It's a fans forum, supposed to be for fans to have a say, don't think anyone slaughtered the players or the club, just voiced opinions on how to possibly keep the momentum going, didn't read anything about spending fortunes or paying massive wages on numerous players, just bringing in a few to help the lads who've been as stated by almost everyone magnificent so far, we have injuries to main players and are struggling recently, it's not just about one game which can happen, but sadly as has happened before on our social media sites, people weigh in with name calling or abuse, maybe we should keep our opinions to ourselves and let the true guardians of the club keep us all in check. Lets all keep our fingers crossed that we get no more injuries, everyone comes back soon and no more suspensions and all that bad stuff happens to the other teams, whose signings all turn out to be duds and no one but us goes on a run.

My one fear is that, like yesterday, whenever we get a chance to consolidate our position we seem to make an arse of it. We got away with it last year against Raith, I can’t see the same happening this year with both County & Dundee Utd in the mix. The points gained in the last six games that Div put on Twitter doesn’t make pleasant reading.

My one fear is that, like yesterday, whenever we get a chance to consolidate our position we seem to make an arse of it. We got away with it last year against Raith, I can’t see the same happening this year with both County & Dundee Utd in the mix. The points gained in the last six games that Div put on Twitter doesn’t make pleasant reading.

If anything I think we’ve got a greater of getting away with it this year. Raith were heavy favourites every game they played last year and I never went into a game thinking Raith would stumble in their game.

Pretty much everyone can beat anyone this year as results have shown so I’m not too worried about anyone pulling away with the league.

5 hours ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Petition to rename the thread The Ultimate Happy Clapper Ayr Thread.

Ahhh it's been a while since you came out with this pish.   Must be about a year? The 'happy clappers' like myself back then thought Cameron was doing a great job as chairman and that McCall was the right manager as we sat near the top of League One.  Been a decent year eh?  But now the 'happy clappers' are settling for 2nd in the Championship....

Edited by Hursty

Ahhh it's been a while since you came out with this pish.   Must be about a year? The 'happy clappers' like myself back then thought Cameron was doing a great job as chairman and that McCall was the right manager as we sat near the top of League One.  Been a decent year eh?  But now the 'happy clappers' are settling for 2nd in the Championship....
How long has it been since your smugness made an appearance, much shorter than a year, eh?