The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

13 minutes ago, ComradeDiego said:

Thought he could play while the appeal was pending? 

I'm sure that used to be the case, as I remember JV was red-carded on the Saturday and was allowed to play in the next game on the Tuesday night as the appeal was pending (and was ultimately successful). I am not sure if that's still the case though.

I highly doubt they can have him suspended while appeal is pending as that means he’s going to miss a game even if appeal is successful which seems really unfair. He should either be cleared to play pending appeal or a decision given prior to the game. 

1 minute ago, Nelson said:

Trying to convince ourselves that losing Mullin, probably for the season, isn’t that big a deal because we can play Ashford or McKenzie wide is quite the optimistic outlook.

There's no doubt that losing Mullin as an individual is a huge loss, however the fact remains that we DID do very well prior to either Mullin or Chalmers arriving.

We've also got our wildcard in Maguire to come on and Ashford did fine when he played on Saturday so maybe not a complete disaster, especially as Daire has looked as good as he ever has in the past couple of weeks.

Don't know if this was ever posted up but,

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/9780780/daire-oconnor-admits-agonises-over-home-or-abroad/

In the photo above, you would swear that the clown ref had sent off the Inverness player and going by his expression, he thinks that as well.

Maybe he did mean to send him off but then lost the plot ???

3 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

There's no doubt that losing Mullin as an individual is a huge loss, however the fact remains that we DID do very well prior to either Mullin or Chalmers arriving.

We've also got our wildcard in Maguire to come on and Ashford did fine when he played on Saturday so maybe not a complete disaster, especially as Daire has looked as good as he ever has in the past couple of weeks.

Don't know if this was ever posted up but,

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/9780780/daire-oconnor-admits-agonises-over-home-or-abroad/

I don’t think we did do especially well before Mullin and Chalmers arrived.  We were rank rotten in the League Cup and a fair few of us were reaching for the anti-depressants after the home game against Queens.  Think our first 2 home games were both draws, though the 2nd half turnaround against Queens Park felt huge at the time.  At half time in that game I’d say faith in Bullen was hanging by a thread.  

But basically the emergence of Dipo and the addition of Chalmers and Mullen really kicked us on and saw us shoot to the top of the table through September and October.  We’ve now lost our 2 most effective wide men since then and Dipo has been crowded out of most games since before Christmas.  

O’Connor is now our most effective wide player which is a worry given his lack of consistency - wasn’t that long ago that a few fans were saying they weren’t bothered if he went back to Ireland in the transfer window.

2 minutes ago, Nelson said:

I don’t think we did do especially well before Mullin and Chalmers arrived.  We were rank rotten in the League Cup and a fair few of us were reaching for the anti-depressants after the home game against Queens.  Think our first 2 home games were both draws, though the 2nd half turnaround against Queens Park felt huge at the time.  At half time in that game I’d say faith in Bullen was hanging by a thread.  

But basically the emergence of Dipo and the addition of Chalmers and Mullen really kicked us on and saw us shoot to the top of the table through September and October.  We’ve now lost our 2 most effective wide men since then and Dipo has been crowded out of most games since before Christmas.  

O’Connor is now our most effective wide player which is a worry given his lack of consistency - wasn’t that long ago that a few fans were saying they weren’t bothered if he went back to Ireland in the transfer window.

We got 11 out of 15 points available before Mullin joined and we also beat Morton in his first game when he started on the bench. So we were doing okay I’d say. 

The league cup was absolutely dire but the only thing that really changed between those games and the league games was Dipo putting his boots on the right feet and actually finishing his chances. 

6 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

We got 11 out of 15 points available before Mullin joined and we also beat Morton in his first game when he started on the bench. So we were doing okay I’d say. 

The league cup was absolutely dire but the only thing that really changed between those games and the league games was Dipo putting his boots on the right feet and actually finishing his chances. 

We were doing OK for sure, though the fixture list was kind to us with games against Cove, Accies and Arbroath in August.  The signings of Chalmers and Mullin was a pretty explicit admission that our existing wide options weren’t good enough.  Which they weren’t.  And aren’t.

I can only hope that Murdoch is back soon and Maguire and McAleer find some match fitness and quick.  Otherwise this season is going to disintegrate in front of us.

10 minutes ago, Nelson said:

We were unbeaten in our first 6 league games and turned in excellent performances at home to Dundee, away to Cove, 2nd half away to QP, and also away to Morton. We also missed a penalty at home to Hamilton which would have got us another win and were pretty decent at home to Arbroath also.

We controlled a good few of these games and were the first team to win at Cove for about a year and a half.

Chalmers had the "wow" factor, no doubt, but he also lacked an end product quite often and offered virtually nothing defensively, as for Mullin, Yes, he'll be a loss but we've now got McAlear and Maguire for set pieces and Daire is arguably playing the best football of his Ayr career.

10 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

We were unbeaten in our first 6 league games and turned in excellent performances at home to Dundee, away to Cove, 2nd half away to QP, and also away to Morton. We also missed a penalty at home to Hamilton which would have got us another win and were pretty decent at home to Arbroath also.

We controlled a good few of these games and were the first team to win at Cove for about a year and a half.

Chalmers had the "wow" factor, no doubt, but he also lacked an end product quite often and offered virtually nothing defensively, as for Mullin, Yes, he'll be a loss but we've now got McAlear and Maguire for set pieces and Daire is arguably playing the best football of his Ayr career.

If Chalmers lacked an end product, then I’m not sure where the hell that leaves us with Ashford, McKenzie and JML!  O’Connor is someone that I think we’d all like to see do well, but the fact that you think a couple of cameo appearances against a tiring Elgin side and half an hour on Saturday amounts to the best football of his Ayr career is pretty telling.  In fairness, I was staggered that he didn’t start against Partick ahead of JML who has been completely ineffective all season.  

Can only hope that Maguire kicks on, but at the moment the only thing we’ve got him for is 15-20 minutes off the bench.  The hard truth is that he is only at Ayr because he is not fit - if he was fit, he wouldn’t be at Ayr.

Edited by Nelson

3 minutes ago, Nelson said:

If Chalmers lacked an end product, then I’m not sure where the hell that leaves us with Ashford, McKenzie and JML!  O’Connor is someone that I think we’d all like to see do well, but the fact that you think a couple of cameo appearances against a tiring Elgin side and half an hour on Saturday amounts to the best football of his Ayr career is pretty telling.  In fairness, I was staggered that he didn’t start against Partick ahead of JML who has been completely ineffective all season.  

Can only hope that Maguire kicks on, but at the moment the only thing we’ve got him for is 15-20 minutes off the bench.  The hard truth is that he is only at Ayr because he is not fit - if he was fit, he wouldn’t be at Ayr.

It's pointless arguing about it as Chalmers is gone and Mullin is out and we are where we are, so we'll just need to hope that the guys who ARE here, can all step up to the plate and get us the results we require.

Ironically, despite all the doom and gloom, should we win our next 2 games (big ask but certainly far from impossible) then we go back to 3rd in the league and will be at Hampden in the last 4 of the National Cup competition, so maybe things aren't quite so grim as many would have us believe......

27 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

It's pointless arguing about it as Chalmers is gone and Mullin is out and we are where we are, so we'll just need to hope that the guys who ARE here, can all step up to the plate and get us the results we require.

Ironically, despite all the doom and gloom, should we win our next 2 games (big ask but certainly far from impossible) then we go back to 3rd in the league and will be at Hampden in the last 4 of the National Cup competition, so maybe things aren't quite so grim as many would have us believe......

Huge 2 games, win both and we could have a really positive end to the season, lose both and we may as well pack up till pre-season. If I was too pick 1 to win I think i'd rather Falkirk. I cant see us doing anything in the play offs (though you never know) but the boost from an appearance at Hampden (along with the additional prize money) would do more for the club long term i think

I really hope the club has better footage than those highlights to go with the appeal - an utter disgrace of a highlights package yet again. If that is the best they can muster we won’t be playing with O’Connor for what three games? And it’ll be fully be because of the highlight quality. 

Just now, No_Problemo said:

I really hope the club has better footage than those highlights to go with the appeal - an utter disgrace of a highlights package yet again. If that is the best they can muster we won’t be playing with O’Connor for what three games? And it’ll be fully be because of the highlight quality. 

It looks like they’ve taken the stream footage and stripped the sound. You’d hope that the analysis footage is better quality.

2 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

SPFL would normally be the backup for pixellot but it missed it :lol: