The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

7 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I think every year we have the same panic and I can remember one year since we’ve gone full time where we made a permanent signing after the league cup games. The majority of the squad is always in place and it’s generally just one or two loans needed to bolster the squad. And before anyone says this year is a bigger rebuild then I’d point them to the summer of 2019 where we lost Rose, Smith, Crawford, McDaid and Shankland in one go. If we can get through that then we can sign a right back, a couple strikers and a couple midfielders. 

I said it on the league cup thread that we probably need another 4-5 players in for the cup games. A right back, a number 10/second striker, a defensive midfielder, a Dipo replacement and a winger. Ecrepont should be given a fair shot at left back in that time and only after then can we decide on the possibility of a new left back, I reckon we’ll then see another striker and possibly another winger come in on loan. 5 signings in 5 weeks is perfectly doable? and there’s a chance they could all happen in the last two weeks. 

So you think only five are needed? 

4 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

In an ideal world the board would want to be releasing some signing news to coincide with the release of the season ticket sales.

In an ideal world players would agree to sign straight away. It would be nice if things worked as cohesively as what you’re suggesting but the club will want the season tickets out now and can’t afford to hang about waiting for someone to sign. 

2 minutes ago, United1973 said:

So you think only five are needed? 

For the league cup, yes. That leaves scope to bring in players in areas that we need most after those games are done. I don’t see much point in getting a full squad assembled only for there to be a glaring weakness in the league cup games and we then have no money or room left to bring someone in.

Just now, Jeff Venom said:

I'm pretty sure at this time last year only Dempsey (who was as good as signed anyway) and Dipo (to a chorus of 'who?') had been announced.

Musonda and JML were towards the end of the month. 

Big Bangs as well. 

We had a bit of a disaster in the league cup campaign last year which was partly down to signing players late and them therefore not having adequate time to gel. Surely we aren't going to get caught napping again? 

Likely a couple of signings will be loans too but clubs are never in a rush with them. Doohan and Kelly signed two days before the league cup started so a random midfielder from someone like Celtic will probably appear on 13th July.

6 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

We had a bit of a disaster in the league cup campaign last year which was partly down to signing players late and them therefore not having adequate time to gel. Surely we aren't going to get caught napping again? 

I’d say it was more down to Bullen fucking about with a 3/5 at the back against Elgin (worked out okay thanks to an admin error) and QOS. Think we then went down to Annan and played Mikey Hewitt wide right. All the signings bar Kirk were made in plenty of time to those games starting. 

2 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Stanger didn’t come from the club. Scott Burns broke the news and it’s well known that he has just about every agent in his phone book and that’s how he gets so much right. 

I thought his name was on here before Scott Burns broke anything.

1 hour ago, Finlay21 said:

They can announce them all on the 25th as far as I am concerned, I don’t understand  why people get worked up on who is signed 2 weeks before they start training and 4 weeks before our first competitive game , we have for the last 3 seasons had everyone signed before season started 

To be fair, based off previous years you would be saying there’s plenty of time a few days before the league starts. 

But yeah, there obviously isn’t an issue at the moment. Personally I would like the majority of the dealings done before/at the start of pre season. 

6 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

I thought his name was on here before Scott Burns broke anything.

Nah first mention of Stanger was on the DR way back in April before the playoffs. 

Mutch came about because of rumours of a goalie signed up months ago and I happened to notice his dad was following the club so it was more of a guess. 

10 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Nah first mention of Stanger was on the DR way back in April before the playoffs. 

Mutch came about because of rumours of a goalie signed up months ago and I happened to notice his dad was following the club so it was more of a guess. 

Fair enough.

Actual clubs who put January bids in for Dipo seem to be common knowledge, I just wonder how that can be. Now news that it might be a record fee we receive when he goes. Educated guesswork on here?

3 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

Fair enough.

Actual clubs who put January bids in for Dipo seem to be common knowledge, I just wonder how that can be. Now news that it might be a record fee we receive when he goes. Educated guesswork on here?

Yeah I often wonder how people find stuff out. It seems to be part and parcel with smaller clubs as it’s more tight knit and more local people are involved with the club and info gets passed about. 

Clubs do their best not to allow stuff to get out but it happens everywhere. Don’t think it’s possible to be completely water tight. 

1 hour ago, Finlay21 said:

They can announce them all on the 25th as far as I am concerned, I don’t understand  why people get worked up on who is signed 2 weeks before they start training and 4 weeks before our first competitive game , we have for the last 3 seasons had everyone signed before season started 

Because people are interested and invested. They want to imagine what the team might look like, get excited about guys that might raise the level. It's fun 🤩 

Remember the year that the ginger windbag fucked off on holiday and we didn't bother our arses doing anything when he was away?

We now have Mathie & Glendinning working on targets so that scenario would no longer be an issue.

13 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

And before anyone says this year is a bigger rebuild then I’d point them to the summer of 2019 where we lost Rose, Smith, Crawford, McDaid and Shankland in one go.

2019-20 was a freak season and it didn't involve any sort of rebuild at all. It and the following season saw the squad completely emptied of talent to be replaced with absolutely nobody of note. Certainly not any sort of thing to emulate.

13 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Yeah I often wonder how people find stuff out. It seems to be part and parcel with smaller clubs as it’s more tight knit and more local people are involved with the club and info gets passed about. 

Clubs do their best not to allow stuff to get out but it happens everywhere. Don’t think it’s possible to be completely water tight. 

I thought smaller clubs would be tighter due to the lack of resources and in theory fewer people ITK.

I could however see a club being prepared to allow "club record fee" type of information being released to the right journalist to perhaps spark interest from other clubs.

But only if they're confident that it will indeed be a club record fee when the move happens.