The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

25 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

Don't think it's been mentioned anywhere else but I liked the look of Scott Tomlinson for the short time he had on Saturday.

Moves well when he has the ball and wasn't frightened to communicate with his teammates either. Doesn't look like he'd be lacking from the physical side of Championship football either. 

If Ashford is away and Murphy going to be out for a few weeks it could create some opportunity for him to get some valuable minutes.

Players coming through from our academy to the first team should be a big part of our club, as a supporter it's great to see.

Yeah - I was actually thinking this earlier. If Ashford is indeed away it helps ensure there is a pathway for Tomlinson to begin getting minutes off the bench in place of Ashford. 

Ultimately Ashford is never going to be good enough to be a starter at this level, but Tomlinson might be. 

Ashford showed so much promise I remember him scoring on his debut (away to Hamilton) and thinking we had a player. I then got more and more frustrated as I had to endure watching him up front instead of Adeloye. I got progressively more scunnered with him. He never really matched his debut performance thereafter as he failed to hit a barn door and missed many a sitter.

Sam "Allergic to goals" Ashford. Good luck in your future endeavours.

Edited by Trogdor

Out of the recent youths to come up (not including Bryden) he’s looked the best and it’s clear Bullen trusts him as he’s already gotten about 70 minutes of game time in 3 appearances off the bench and for someone his age I forget he’s similar to Bryden got a bit of height in him especially for someone who mainly plays RM (believe he can also play CM)

Worth noting Ashford was played out of position consistently under Bullen. A striker playing as a winger is rarely ever going to be productive and over time will ruin confidence and flow of a player. Potentially the same reason McKenzie struggles?

Ashford made 2 appearances as a striker last season, 1 which was against Annan in the cup. While I understand it’s easy for punters to criticise and often fairly too, a large portion of Ashford’s limited productivity has to land at Bullen’s feet for playing him out of position all season imo. 

16 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

9 in and 14 out so far by my reckoning. 15 if Ashford does depart. 

I miscounted and now I’ve got 12 out of Ashford goes. Are you counting the youngsters away on loan like Bilham and Jenkins? 

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I miscounted and now I’ve got 12 out of Ashford goes. Are you counting the youngsters away on loan like Bilham and Jenkins? 

Robbie Mutch (Edinburgh City)

George Stanger (Alloa Athletic)

Jamie Murphy (St Johnstone) 

Oliver Pendlbury (Aldershot)

Francis Amartey (Aldershot)

Aiden McGeady (Hibernian)

Ahkeem Rose (Weymouth)

Elicha Ahui (Lincoln City- Loan)

Logan Chalmers (Dundee United-Loan)

Confirmed out: 

Aidan McAdams (Edinburgh City)

Jordan Houston (Queen Of The South)

Josh Mullin (Raith Rovers)

Kinlay Bilham (Stenhousemuir)

Alex Jeanes (Stirling University)

Chris Maguire (Eastleigh)

Michael Moffat (Glenafton Athletic)

Daire O'Connor (Glentoran)

Jayden Mitchell Lawson (Maidenhead United)

Dipo Akinyemi (York City)

Michael Hewitt (Hamilton Accies)

David Bangala

Reece McAlear (End of Loan- Tranmere)

Alex Kirk (End of Loan- Arsenal) 

ETA: Didn't count the players we've loaned out as don't think any have made a first team appearance. 

Edited by ayrunitedfw

2 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Goodbye Sam Ashford

The decision to let you go was a rash one.

We will miss your ingenuity

Your positional fluidity

Your versatility

Your impeccable agility

Don't listen to the idiots

Who doubt your ability.

Get him to hand back his Masterchef trophy before he goes.

13 minutes ago, AnonGuy7991 said:

Worth noting Ashford was played out of position consistently under Bullen. A striker playing as a winger is rarely ever going to be productive and over time will ruin confidence and flow of a player. Potentially the same reason McKenzie struggles?

Ashford made 2 appearances as a striker last season, 1 which was against Annan in the cup. While I understand it’s easy for punters to criticise and often fairly too, a large portion of Ashford’s limited productivity has to land at Bullen’s feet for playing him out of position all season imo. 

Ashford is never a striker. 

13 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Robbie Mutch (Edinburgh City)

George Stanger (Alloa Athletic)

Jamie Murphy (St Johnstone) 

Oliver Pendlbury (Aldershot)

Francis Amartey (Aldershot)

Aiden McGeady (Hibernian)

Ahkeem Rose (Weymouth)

Elicha Ahui (Lincoln City- Loan)

Logan Chalmers (Dundee United-Loan)

Confirmed out: 

Aidan McAdams (Edinburgh City)

Jordan Houston (Queen Of The South)

Josh Mullin (Raith Rovers)

Kinlay Bilham (Stenhousemuir)

Alex Jeanes (Stirling University)

Chris Maguire (Eastleigh)

Michael Moffat (Glenafton Athletic)

Daire O'Connor (Glentoran)

Jayden Mitchell Lawson (Maidenhead United)

Dipo Akinyemi (York City)

Michael Hewitt (Hamilton Accies)

David Bangala

Reece McAlear (End of Loan- Tranmere)

Alex Kirk (End of Loan- Arsenal) 

ETA: Didn't count the players we've loaned out as don't think any have made a first team appearance. 

Aye I skipped over the likes of Moffat and Jeanes as the likes of Watret and Tomlinson are a bigger part of the first team squad this season so it kinda evens out. 

If we could get a couple of midfielders in and a striker then I’ll be very happy. A left back has been spoken about all summer but I think the other areas need looked at first. 

Be a shame to lose Ashford. 

We wouldn’t miss him though, he’s barely started, often plays wide when he’s not a wide player, does the dirty side of the game rather than the glory part. Can’t fault the guy for effort either. 

We can’t afford to carry passengers at this level and he was becoming one, had fell to 4th choice in his preferred position. By no means a bad player, just not used property or had a stand out performance in the time he’s been at the club. 

33 minutes ago, AnonGuy7991 said:

If he is away I hope it works out for him at his next club. Always put a shift in which is far preferable to the abundance of shitebags I’ve seen playing for us over the years.

Hopefully the wee fanny that sends him abuse on social media every weekend find something more productive to do with their time.

13 minutes ago, GaryMc93 said:

Ashford would be an effective footballer if his feet knew what his brain wanted to do and vice versa. Can't fault his effort but he reminds me of Salkeld who had the physical attributes with none of the technique.

Bit harsh that one - he’s a decent bit better than Salkeld!