The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

2 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

This sounds a bit like jam tomorrow for me with tomorrow never arriving.

We play the same aimless turgid stuff we've been playing this calendar year except we don't have Dipo to pull us through games by the scruff of the neck. We need battlers and they are sadly lacking in this team. The ball is like a hot potato, nobody wants it.

I still believe this is a coaching issue rather than a personnel one. These guys just look like they've no belief in the "system" as, to be frank, there isn't one.

How did Logan Chalmers play today, does anybody know? 

41 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

I try to be positive.

Its a nice trait to have. More should try it to be honest.

The world's full of so much hate and negativity, a full time Championship team on the West Coast of Scotland should be people's happy place, despite the ups and downs it gives you.

Directors come, directors go

Managers come managers go.

Players come, players go.

Don't take my positivity as accepting 2nd best, not hurting or not caring, far from it.

But the days of me spoiling my weekend and the days after a defeat are long long gone thankfully.

That includes trying to right the wrongs of 90 minutes of football on an anonymous internet forum.

Needless positivity is every bit as annoying and pointless as needless negativity.  

If fans don't demand certain standards quite simply they will drop at any and all clubs.  

By the same though over-negativity breeds.  

My weekends stopped getting ruined by the result of football matches long ago as well, just go for the day out now regardless of how we do.  

31 minutes ago, Rb123 said:

Is there anyone on here who was actually at the game who can summarise if we were actually that bad or just unlucky? 

I thought we were poor. The main issue stemmed from how rigid and slow in tempo we were. There was so little movement and energy. Had plenty of the ball for spells but felt very much going through the motions. 

First half we had a couple of good interchanges and if McGeady had his shooting boots on we might have scored before we eventually did from the corner.

Second half we were really poor. We just offered nothing. We would have Syla / Young / Smith come and collect the ball from the centre halves a lot (which was good to see) but we then looked totally incapable of working through the lines at all. Really toothless and just incredibly frustrating to watch.

There's some decent ball playing midfielders in that team but nothing seems to be clicking. Not enough runs and movement in to space. There's still time and a lot of that squad are young so maybe they'll learn and we can find ways to really cause problems for defences, but we need to learn fast.

Fullbacks were also pinned back and offered nothing going forward.

Edited by AuAl

I actually don't think the squad is that bad. It obviously could be better, but Albinson, Musonda, Murphy, Amartey, Chalmers, McGeady, and Stanger, are all good players for this level and should all be good enough to have a squad to at least compete. If they're not competing, then it's on the manager.

6 minutes ago, GuyIncognito said:

I actually don't think the squad is that bad. It obviously could be better, but Albinson, Musonda, Murphy, Amartey, Chalmers, McGeady, and Stanger, are all good players for this level

So what you're saying is that of the entire squad, Ayr can pick half an outfield team who aren't plainly out of place in this division.

3 minutes ago, Thumper said:

So what you're saying is that of the entire squad, Ayr can pick half an outfield team who aren't plainly out of place in this division.

You don't need to have a squad full of good players for this level to at least compete. Last season we had 2 poor full backs who got ripped apart every other game and we still managed to get second due to having 3 good players (including the best player in the league) at the top end of the pitch. Like I said, I at least think that the squad is capable of not getting beat off Arbroath or Morton, and since we have, it's on the manager.

edit - look at some of the dross Killie and Dundee had in their team, and yet they still managed to win it due to having a core of 4-5 good players

Edited by GuyIncognito

1 minute ago, Thumper said:

Aye, I have to say that Reading and  McAllister wouldn't be out of place in Scottish League One. The central midfielder options are too new at the moment to judge.

It's eye opening to see that Houston and Hewitt don't actually feature for the League One sides they moved to. Yet we persisted with them. There has been too much sentiment where some of this squad are concerned. Especially in the full back areas.

2 minutes ago, Rb123 said:

What do we reckon the odds are of there conveniently being no post match interview with Bullen 

Mate, he'll Jim Duffy it...

"Gayfield is a tough place to come"

"We've no divine right to beat anyone"

"This is a tight League and anyone can beat anyone on their day"

"I'm not making excuses but the injuries havent helped."

"This squad has character stick with us and we'll turn it around"

Meaningless cliches.

1 minute ago, Trogdor said:

Aye, I have to say that Reading and  McAllister wouldn't be out of place in Scottish League One. The central midfielder options are too new at the moment to judge.

It's eye opening to see that Houston and Hewitt don't actually feature for the League One sides they moved to. Yet we persisted with them. There has been too much sentiment where some of this squad are concerned. Especially in the full back areas.

Just wait until McKenzie ends up on the bench at Talbot. 

I wonder at what point our new structure will register with the fanbase as reading these posts we still are running with a manager. Guessing its the manager that usually kops it so the tail is being pinned on Bullen. Can't defend Bullen in many ways but the standard and variety of player we have is woeful and that sits with the recruitment team. 

In charge of both of depts is Mathie who seems to sit in the background and get a free pass on most things. . I would be interested to see the difference in budget from last season to this one. If it's similar or better then the use of this has been shocking unless of course it's being drained carrying a large squad pf meh instead of more being put into some quality. Another big problem for us is that Airdrie look to have a half decent team and will finish higher than predicted 

Just now, Trogdor said:

Meaningless cliches.

You forgot 

"Don't get to high with the wins and don't get to low with the lows"

Just now, 1nickydevlin said:

You forgot 

"Don't get to high with the wins and don't get to low with the lows"

Fair point, I'll get that added to the bingo card. 

Ohhh and it goes without saying (but I'll say it anyway). Calum is a stick on for "Well Lee..."

2 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Meaningless cliches.

#weeayrunited

6 minutes ago, GuyIncognito said:

How did Syla and Young play today?

Okay for the most part. Especially good in terms of not being afraid to get stuck in and always showing for the ball. Syla in particular impressed me with his desire to have the ball, turn and find something.

The problem was that there was usually nothing to find. 

Edited by AuAl

2 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

I wonder at what point our new structure will register with the fanbase as reading these posts we still are running with a manager. Guessing its the manager that usually kops it so the tail is being pinned on Bullen. Can't defend Bullen in many ways but the standard and variety of player we have is woeful and that sits with the recruitment team. 

In charge of both of depts is Mathie who seems to sit in the background and get a free pass on most things. . I would be interested to see the difference in budget from last season to this one. If it's similar or better then the use of this has been shocking unless of course it's being drained carrying a large squad pf meh instead of more being put into some quality. Another big problem for us is that Airdrie look to have a half decent team and will finish higher than predicted 

The head coach signs off on the signings and new contracts and also picks the team (and his same bad favourites).  

Not defending Mathie who is clearly not doing a great job but Bullen is absolutely first to go.  

9 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

Was on the fence about Tuesday, but won’t be wasting my time now. Think the club would be best not bothering having SRE open on Tuesday. 

I’m going to go for the intrigue factor I think:

Is Ahui a footballer or another hilarious Bangala style signing for example etc etc.