The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

19 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

If Bullen was to leave suddenly this week would you guys, hypothetically, be happy with Dodds as a replacement? 

Everyone saying “no” but he’s not exactly had the best squad at ICT, injuries all that. Probably wouldn’t be happy with him as a replacement tbh. Literally no clue who’s in the market right now as a manager. 

44 minutes ago, AUFC19100 said:

Everyone saying “no” but he’s not exactly had the best squad at ICT, injuries all that. Probably wouldn’t be happy with him as a replacement tbh. Literally no clue who’s in the market right now as a manager. 

Looking at the list @Ludo*1 posted for the ICT it’s pretty grim. The only ones I’d accept is Neil McCann, Tam Courts or Kevin Thomson although not sure if there is underlying issues with him as he always seems to get over looked for jobs.

Edited by ayrunitedfw

Thought McCann had the same issue Bullen was having in that he was asking his players to play a way that they weren’t suited to. 

He also comes across as a massive w**k a lot of the time so he’d be a no for me. You’ve also got to ask yourself why no one else has taken a punt on Thomson. 

Neil McCann was well liked at Dens but he was a huge flop. Saved us from relegation and went about building his own side. Problem was, he absolutely insisted on a philosophy of short play from the back, never, ever long. He also had a wee man syndrome and is possibly the angriest guy in Scottish football. If anyone crossed him, they were done for. This meant that he needed to eventually bring in a raft of players from overseas.

Individually a good few of these players would have made a difference but having a whole squad of them and forcing a philosophy of short passing football on them in the rough and tumble of the top flight was a recipe for disaster. Some of the players he signed were genuinely genius. Glenn Kamara, Steven Caulker and Jack Hendry who broke our transfer record when he went to Celtic but his key signings that let him down was spending a transfer fee on Jack Hamilton in goal and relying on Sofien Moussa as our number 9.

He was brilliant for getting people telt though such as Scott Bain, Tommy Wright, Zander Clark and Jim McIntyre. He genuinely had a swagger and arrogance that demanded respect and wanted teams to have to beat us at our game even the OF rather than us trying to tinker to respond to their methods. He created an us against the word mentality. All good on paper but turned into a bit of a shambles in reality. Too many fall outs, too many duds from abroad in a short period of time and too rigid to his philosophy of total football. 

McCann is up there with several other TV pundits that I continuously shout at the TV at. Michael Stewart, Pay Nevin etc.... bunch of dicks.

I could only imagine Kevin Thomson going the same way as Mark Kerr 🤔

I fear that, in catapulting Bullen into the sea, that Ayr would be back looking on the continuous merry-go-round of lower league Scottish managers 😒

Bullen was chosen specifically for the Role after Smith pissed his hopes up a rope with Hopkin and Duffy, so it wouldn't surprise me if he brought in a manager from down south again (Possibly one with knowledge of lower league English players instead of the guesswork that has went on with some of the signings this season)

2 hours ago, Sortmeout said:

If Bullen was to leave suddenly this week would you guys, hypothetically, be happy with Dodds as a replacement? 

Theres surely no chance, Dodds is from Cumnock and apparently hates Ayr fans for comments made referencing his family years ago if I remember correctly?

Edited by diege

1 hour ago, Roxanne's man said:

McCann is up there with several other TV pundits that I continuously shout at the TV at. Michael Stewart

Stewart might have evolved into the resident Sportsound contrarian but that's probably because he's the single person in the entire BBC who supported independence.

8 hours ago, Shibuya said:

McCann was a failure at Dens. That whole list is terrifying. 

Was this not in the league above us? Never understood why people won't touch a manager who fails at a higher level but a player that ain't cut it is viewed as a signing coup 

10 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Individually a good few of these players would have made a difference but having a whole squad of them and forcing a philosophy of short passing football on them in the rough and tumble of the top flight was a recipe for disaster. Some of the players he signed were genuinely genius. Glenn Kamara, Steven Caulker and Jack Hendry who broke our transfer record when he went to Celtic but his key signings that let him down was spending a transfer fee on Jack Hamilton in goal and relying on Sofien Moussa as our number 9.

What became of him? His sending off in the cup game at Dens a few years back where we won 3-0 stunk of a guy who couldn't wait to be off that park after coming on as a sub. McCann furiously gesturing at him that he was on a booking still makes me chuckle. 

20 minutes ago, Jeff Venom said:

What became of him? His sending off in the cup game at Dens a few years back where we won 3-0 stunk of a guy who couldn't wait to be off that park after coming on as a sub. McCann furiously gesturing at him that he was on a booking still makes me chuckle. 

Retired now, I think. Went to Romania after us.