The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

14 minutes ago, AuAl said:

As others have said, always wish Tomi well. He was pretty much the reason we didn't get relegated that season. Dowds is also a decent enough striker for this level, I think his output over the course of the season will probably be similar or slightly greater than Adeloye.

Ayr supporters have a habit of developing ridiculous views on strikers. I spoke to someone the other day who genuinely insisted that Akinyemi was the most overrated player he has ever seen, that he was incredibly lazy and that he was glad he left.

Hahaha, that is an impressive football opinion that one…

I liked Adeloye, we tried to play football that didn’t suit him for months and Bullen came in and eventually dropped him for Ashford before putting him back in for the last few games. He was unplayable against Dunfermline away when we decided the game was won with 10 min to go. 

But as I said before, he seemed to create a circus around him that was a distraction. He looked like he waned to be a footballer rather than play football.
The amount of clubs and loans he’s had shows he’s good at winning moves but once he’s there, the problems start happening. Dipo had a hunger to advance his career that Adeloye doesn’t have. 

Edited by diegomarahenry

15 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

I think Dowds’ finishing is that wee bit better as well. I can’t quite remember all his goals but Tomi very rarely put his foot through the ball to burst the net. Quite often his shots were placed and easy to save at times. Dowds has shown that he can score a lot of different types of goals. 

Adeloye is better with the ball at his feet however although this sometimes led to him holding onto the ball for too long when he should’ve passed. As you say though he didn’t exactly have many good options to be passing to in that team. 

How has Dowds general play been for you guys?

I’m glad to see that he’s doing well for you, as he seems like a nice guy (even if his agent is a fanny) but there were long periods for us where he was an active hindrance to the team by being completely unable to hold on to the ball for any length of time. Basically, if he wasn’t scoring then he wasn’t contributing in any way.

9 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I’m glad to see that he’s doing well for you, as he seems like a nice guy (even if his agent is a fanny) but there were long periods for us where he was an active hindrance to the team by being completely unable to hold on to the ball for any length of time. Basically, if he wasn’t scoring then he wasn’t contributing in any way.

He’s scored all types of goal which is good. He’s not as strong as Akinyemi so he’s not holding the ball up much but he does drift out wide sometimes to try and pull defenders about which we need as we have been quite static up front. 
There isn’t an expectation that he’ll score every week so he’ll probably finish the season on mid to high teens in goals which is fine as long as Murphy and Chalmers stay fit and chip in with a few 

9 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Been very good.  Looking at him you wouldn't think he is as fast as he is, seems to play well with each striker he has linked up with.  Just had a quick look and he is 2nd/3rd in minutes per goals and goals per game in the league.

31 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

A fair summary.  Looks a decent finisher but doesn’t contribute a great deal in open play.  

19 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

Been very good.  Looking at him you wouldn't think he is as fast as he is, seems to play well with each striker he has linked up with.  Just had a quick look and he is 2nd/3rd in minutes per goals and goals per game in the league.

How many has he bagged for us so far ? Is it 5 ?

1 hour ago, No_Problemo said:

Hahaha, that is an impressive football opinion that one…

Aye, couldn't believe it. I'm convinced folk who come out with stuff like that just don't actually understand football and are very impressionable. 

Tbh, from the rest of what he had to say I got the impression he was the kind of person that goes to one game every couple months. Still absolutely mental though.

1 hour ago, Rb123 said:

Anything apart from a win against Peterhead and Bullen should be punted. 

If he survives to the home game against Arbroath and we lose that he absolutely has to go, will it happen or not is a different discussion...

I don’t think the club have any intention of sacking him sadly. Only way I see him going Is if we’re cut adrift in 9th/10th. 

4 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

I don’t think the club have any intention of sacking him sadly. Only way I see him going Is if we’re cut adrift in 9th/10th. 

Agreed. I don't think sacking him is even on the agenda. Don't think he'll get his contract renewed so at least we'll hopefully have a new boss next season. I'd rather be went before the season ends to give a new guy a head start on next year.

42 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Smith is putting in a tidy sum, a budget aimed at at least a top half finish, I think that if we look like we might get relegated late winter, he'll be moved on. 

Smith has previously acted when our Championship status has looked under threat. 

Not sure I trust the club to make the right hire to replace Bullen though. That's three shite managers in a row now. Maybe we should just not have a manager?

Edited by Richey Edwards

48 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Smith has previously acted when our Championship status has looked under threat. 

Not sure I trust the club to make the right hire to replace Bullen though. That's three shite managers in a row now. Maybe we should just not have a manager?

I wouldn’t go so far as to say he’s been a shite appointment for us.