The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

24 minutes ago, railwayend said:

While McCall is very tempting let’s not forget his two best seasons with us were probably championed by the signing of LS . Who remarkably nobody on here has claimed was a fluke signing in the same way Dipo was . 

A bit of revisionism here on your part.

Let's not forget when he left we were top of the league and flying without Shankland. Playing free flowing football with Moffat leading the line supported by Forrest & McCowan and a midfield three of Kerr, Kelly & Docherty. 😍

McCall would be divisive and hard for some of the support to get behind. Ultimately he knows this league and he has a track record of signing established players and young players with potential and bringing them on. 

If its true that Bowyer & Courts have turned us down it would be churlish not to ask the question. He's the next best option in my view.

Edit - I would usually take the view of never going back and its never as successful the second time around but he'd get us out of this mess. I have no doubt about that.

Edited by Trogdor

17 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Taken a dreadful United side to 4th?

They were 9th the season before then relegated the season after. There was an argument he was losing the run of it anyway (sure they collapsed in the winter then half recovered to get 4th around the split), but it was probably just a lack of quality.

He seems unfairly labelled due to his age too. His United side werent some naive attacking side who made daft mistakes in possession, they were a well drilled outfit who were realistic enough to know when to play and when to go direct.

He'd be a far, far, better appointment than Scott Brown on every level.

Aye I’m surprised he’s been out of work so long especially when you consider some of the vacancies that have come up. 

I’d take him in a heartbeat but I’d also be happy with Brown. It’s us appointing someone like Charlie Mulgrew or David Gray that gives me the fear. 

8 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Edit - I would usually take the view of never going back and its never as successful the second time around but he'd get us out of this mess. I have no doubt about that.

I’m not totally against McCall just cautious. At his age and with Smith determined to eradicate the plucky wee Ayr moniker maybe he’d stay a while and give us some stability in the medium term . We have to break this cycle of new managers ever couple of years . What is is it four post McCall appointments ? 

Time will tell who the new man will be . It will.all come down to the chairman what money is available . While we all have dreams whoever comes in needs to steady the ship first and foremost . Can you really blame Bowyer and courts for turning  it down if true ? While the club has a vision  these so called bigger names possibly won't want to work.like  that . 

I'm on the fence with McCall.

We all have amazing memories of 2017-19 with some of the football played, and I would like to think he'd have more resources at his disposal than he did the first time round (which may go some way to help alleviate the post Xmas slump his teams seemed to suffer). 

It just still doesn't sit right with me the manner of his departure and the feeling that he maybe strung Ayr along a bit that season knowing the Patrick job was realistically going to come up again.

I'm also not entirely sure he'd enjoy working within the new structure. 

38 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Aye I’m surprised he’s been out of work so long especially when you consider some of the vacancies that have come up. 

I’d take him in a heartbeat but I’d also be happy with Brown. It’s us appointing someone like Charlie Mulgrew or David Gray that gives me the fear. 

We need someone with a track record making an impact and improvements over a short period of time, another rookie manager like Kerr or Bullen is to much of a risk, I'm sure Smith and Mathie don't want the new Lee Bullen Memorial Stand opened against someone like Stirling Albion. Would McCall keep us up? I think he would but I can not see him fitting in with the Football Director structure, he needs to be the main man for his ego and I can't lie I'm still a bit bitter than he ran off to thistle when we had a real chance, Brown is less a risk than Mugrew but looking at his twitter last night he does look like he's got some good ideas tactically.

1 hour ago, railwayend said:

If it’s true and Courts and Bowyer have turned us down then we may have to conclude that like the other nine teams in the league we are going to have to probably appoint either a rookie or a recent failure, simple as that . People on here will be unhappy . Nothing new there . 

While McCall is very tempting let’s not forget his two best seasons with us were probably championed by the signing of LS . Who remarkably nobody on here has claimed was a fluke signing in the same way Dipo was . 

Thistle gambled on a rookie in Doolan , Rover took a chance on a guy in Murray that failed to get Airdrie up via the play offs . Both proved good choices . It’s pretty much in the lap of the Gods . 

I’m not sure why Shankland would get called a fluke, when McCall had a track record of similar style of signings. 

5 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

I’m not sure why Shankland would get called a fluke, when McCall had a track record of similar style of signings. 

Also, as much as he was immense, that team was a bit more than just Lawrence Shankland. Difficult to say the same about Dipo/last season.

I have a feeling that today will mark the end of the initial optimistic phase of the managerial appointment cycle. By teatime we're all going to have the fear.

17 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Oh really ? How many other 30 goals a season strikers did he sign ? Zero . LS not being in that team would have us back in the pack , exactly the same as Dipo . 

3 hours ago, Hazbart said:

Troy Deeney anyone?

Could be a breath of fresh air and not scared to tell his team they would t get a game in the national League which would seem appropriate for our band of non-league jobbers.

Just been sacked after 6 games at Forest Green for being an arsehole. I’d rather Bullen back.

4 minutes ago, railwayend said:

Oh really ? How many other 30 goals a season strikers did he sign ? Zero . LS not being in that team would have us back in the pack , exactly the same as Dipo . 

I said similar, I didn’t say he made the exact same signing. 

We didn’t have him the next fucking season and we were flying before McCall left 😂

We are currently ninth, not “in the pack” 

Edited by No_Problemo

10 minutes ago, AUFC 1910 said:

You can see the vast difference between McCalls squad and Bullen’s.

Which McCall squad ? One of his squads went down . It wasn’t all sugar and sunshine with McCall . Admittedly he got there in the end and put a great team on the park , light weight though it was . As I’ve said before I’m not totally against McCall but let’s not get too misty eyed about his time with us .

1 hour ago, railwayend said:

If it’s true and Courts and Bowyer have turned us down then we may have to conclude that like the other nine teams in the league we are going to have to probably appoint either a rookie or a recent failure, simple as that . People on here will be unhappy . Nothing new there . 

Thistle gambled on a rookie in Doolan , Rover took a chance on a guy in Murray that failed to get Airdrie up via the play offs . Both proved good choices . It’s pretty much in the lap of the Gods . 

Thistle had little choice if there financial situation was to be believed and think Doolan is doing ok rather than good. A premierready team or however it was described should hopefully be looking for something a bit different.  Would be interesting to know why two decent options weren't interested in joining us if the future growth plans are to be believed  

6 minutes ago, railwayend said:

Didn’t Craig Moore score about 25 goals the year we won the league?

But obviously LS was a fluke signing.  Along with Ross Docherty, Liam Smith, Daniel Harvie, Michael Rose, Michael Moffat, Andy Murdoch, Mark Kerr, Steven Bell, Jamie Adams, Andy Geggan…