The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

45 minutes ago, Hawkeye the Gnu said:

Richey, that’s a terrific post.

Just emphasised the importance of having football in our lives and supporting your local team.

Football. Brings people together and provides joy even to a dying man in constant pain. 

3 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

Football. Brings people together and provides joy even to a dying man in constant pain. 

My old man died March 13th 2020, the day football was cancelled. I always thought he timed that to perfection! 

23 minutes ago, ComradeDiego said:

Referee for tomorrow is Alan Muir.

Last match he refereed for us was the 3-1 defeat to k*llie in March 2022.

Last match we won when he refereed was a 4-1 win away to Arbroath in November 2017.

First reaction: oh god, not him

Second reaction: most of them are as bad as each other

1 hour ago, ComradeDiego said:

Last match we won when he refereed was a 4-1 win away to Arbroath in November 2017.

That was a class day that.

Arbroath were actually on top of us for the most of the game, yet we managed to go 4-0 up with being very clinical and David Hutton having a meltdown in goal.

A very fun season for the most part.

1 hour ago, Richey Edwards said:

Unpopular opinion but who the referee is makes minimal difference. 

Agreed, obviously you get shite refs but the decisions usually even themselves out.

Unless it's David Munro. Worst referee in Scotland by a country mile. Bordering on dangerous.

1 hour ago, Richey Edwards said:

Depends. You get referees like Stevens that manages to ruin every game. You also get referees that are so naive that they ruin a game by giving free kicks every time a team asks for one. They are almost always the new batch we get every year. 

You’ll always get mistakes made by referees and you have to accept that but some just don’t help themselves. 

3 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

You have watched us with Steven McLean refereeing?

A reminder for the uninitiated, he has referereed 27 Ayr games and we've won 3! A whopping 11% win rate with him as referee. 

Not only is that a statistical anomaly but he is a certified DKB to boot.

Edited by Trogdor

26 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

You have watched us with Steven McLean refereeing?

A reminder for the uninitiated, he has referereed 27 Ayr games and we've won 3! A whopping 11% win rate with him as referee. 

Not only is that a statistical anomaly but he is a certified DKB to boot.

You could discount any in the last year, we barely won any regardless of the ref. 
The first game I remember him officiating was the play-off game against Airdrie when he sent off Longridge after 20 minutes for his first challenge that looked a yellow but he was straight out with the red as quick as he could. 

3 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

You could discount any in the last year, we barely won any regardless of the ref. 
The first game I remember him officiating was the play-off game against Airdrie when he sent off Longridge after 20 minutes for his first challenge that looked a yellow but he was straight out with the red as quick as he could. 

Did he not also ref the LC semi final and missed a deliberate handball in the buildup to the goal?

15 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Did he not also ref the LC semi final and missed a deliberate handball in the buildup to the goal?

Yeah, he’s never giving us the benefit of doubt on any decision. 

During the Campbell money era, he spoke about two incidents with referees that always stuck with me. 

One was at the old Love street, Stuart Kean was brought down on the edge of the 18 yard box in a last man challenge and the ref waved play on. Money went daft to the point the ref went over to speak to him. The referees explain was, if I’d given the free kick,I’d have to have sent the boy off. 
The second was a ref who came in to the changing room before an away game against Dumbarton, he came in and asked Ayr to change out of their home kit to allow Dumbarton to wear their away kit which was white. I can’t remember why. Ayr were already stripped and Money told him not to be so daft. The referee shouted to him, you’ll get f**k all out of me today then and flounced off. He sent Barry Nicholson off for a last man challenge 10 yards in to the Dumbarton half. 
He also refereed a game at Somerset against Peterhead, I can’t remember what happened but it involved Eddie Forrest and a penalty I’m sure.