The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Wins like that are very important when we have a squad with the limited quality that we do. 

Airdrie shot themselves in the foot several times there, but I'd like to think it was our pressing and energy that forced those errors. 

McGinty was excellent today at winning absolutely anything that came near him, as was Sanders when he came on. 

Another great 3 points and we've helped to drag Airdrie right back into the mess at the bottom. Pleasing.

I thought that was a decent performance from us. Great hat trick from Dowds, McGinty was excellent and the general shape when Airdrie had the ball was good and made it hard to play through us.

What l didn't like was how narrow the full backs defended. That's clearly coached, but I prefer to see them wider, particularly if the opposition are going to hug the line 

Tomlinson made a mistake for the first goal but hopefully he'll learn from that as he offers a lot going forward. 

I didn't think it was a free kick for Airdrie's second but we managed the last few minutes really well. Clearly Brown is having an impact as before we'd tend to sit back.

11 minutes ago, edinburghhonestman said:

I thought that was a decent performance from us. Great hat trick from Dowds, McGinty was excellent and the general shape when Airdrie had the ball was good and made it hard to play through us.

What l didn't like was how narrow the full backs defended. That's clearly coached, but I prefer to see them wider, particularly if the opposition are going to hug the line 

Tomlinson made a mistake for the first goal but hopefully he'll learn from that as he offers a lot going forward. 

I didn't think it was a free kick for Airdrie's second but we managed the last few minutes really well. Clearly Brown is having an impact as before we'd tend to sit back.

IMO, it makes complete sense for the full backs to be narrow. We have McGinty for crosses into the box, but he isn’t as good at defending sharp movements around the edge of the box. Far better gaps out wide than down the side of either centre half. 

16 minutes ago, edinburghhonestman said:

Agree with all this, thought Tomlinson was great going forward in the first half but got done big time for the first goal. I also thought Paddy Reading also had a very good game today as did Dempsey and Syla in the middle of the park.  Perhaps being harsh here but I felt Mutch should have pushed the ball round the post with the free kick rather try and catch it/palm it back into play. 

Edited by ecocme

2 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

IMO, it makes complete sense for the full backs to be narrow. We have McGinty for crosses into the box, but he isn’t as good at defending sharp movements around the edge of the box. Far better gaps out wide than down the side of either centre half. 

I think that's fine with competent full backs as the wingers need to resort to high crosses which McGinty will clear all day long.

The issue is when the fullbacks are too easy beat and the winger can run in goal themselves and pick out their player for the cut back.

Airdrie were always going to have more of the ball than us and we seemed comfortable with them taking it out wide rather than through the middle. Tactically that made perfect sense.

2 minutes ago, ecocme said:

Agree with all this, thought Tomlinson was great going forward in the first half but got done big time for the first goal. I also thought Paddy Reading also had a very good game today as did Dempsey and Syla in the middle of the park.  Perhaps being harsh here but I felt Mutch should have pushed the ball round the post with the free kick rather try and catch it/palm it back into play. 

I think he dislocated his shoulder making the save. Not sure he could do much more with it given that. 

2 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

I think that's fine with competent full backs as the wingers need to resort to high crosses which McGinty will clear all day long.

The issue is when the fullbacks are too easy beat and the winger can run in goal themselves and pick out their player for the cut back.

Airdrie were always going to have more of the ball than us and we seemed comfortable with them taking it out wide rather than through the middle. Tactically that made perfect sense.

Yeah, but that still leaves them a lot more to do than if they get the ball in a more central position. 

In the year 2030, and we have competent full backs it’ll make even more sense!