The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

A lot to be really pleased about in that performance despite some calamitous individual errors at various points of the game.

A lot more fight in the team than I can remember for a while. The keeper made some ridiculous saves. Did well to see the game out second time round after we got the winner. It was nervy but they got it over line. 

That result sets us up for a huge month of fixtures. If we manage to avoid defeat at Dunfermline and Inverness (hopefully a win in at least 1 of them) we'll be in a great spot. 

Until his first goal I thought Willoughby was terrible, how a goal can change a player! 

Tomlinson is very far from being ready to contribute, I think we need to only introduce him at certain times that aren’t match threatening. 

McHugh looks a right player - comfy on the ball, can drive with it, works like f**k and gets fired in about it. 

1 minute ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Huge 3 points and spirited performance by the team.

We should probably stop conceding 2+ goals a game though...

That's fairly unlikely given the state of the defence. If McAllister scores every game it'll help though. Maybe remind the Colonel he's not playing for his big club as well.

2 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Tomlinson is very far from being ready to contribute, I think we need to only introduce him at certain times that aren’t match threatening. 

In fairness to him Brown could just try to play him in his actual position.

1 minute ago, muZZa__44 said:

Only reason we brought Tomlinson on so early was cause we didn’t have anyone else who could play full back/wing back but thank Christ 3 points in the bag

Aye it was the only dodgy call made by Brown but I think it was enforced. Hes not ready to be playing consistently yet and certainly not so far out of position.

Just now, GaryMc93 said:

Fair enough, but he just looks short of quite a few basics right now - he is very very raw. I didn’t see the Airdrie game, but that’s basically what I’ve thought whenever I’ve seen him, including pre season. 

5 minutes ago, GaryMc93 said:

I don’t think he’s even ready to be doing that and even if he was, who does he start over? 

Willoughby done a lot of pressing from the front, the effort him, Bryden and McKenzie do will go unnoticed a lot, but it’s all part of Browns tactics. Thought McHugh was done early on, but thank god he wasn’t, was my MOTM, very tidy on the ball and drives forward. Him and Dempsey battled for everything. Murphy for me struggled a lot, down to not having a natural left back up the wing doing overlaps. Really need Reading to be back soon and hopefully Stanger back on Saturday. Sanders does a job with being a presence at set pieces, but don’t rate him at all. Some match winning saves from Clarke, especially the one very early on at 0-0. If we can get 4 points from the next 2, we should be almost safe. 

That was fucking horrible and fucking brilliant at the same time. 

3-1 up and fairly comfortable, Thistle were self-imploding. We go to 5 at the back and immediately concede twice. I’m pretty sure we scored with our only 5 shots on target. 

The Keeper made 3-4 fantastic saves but looked suspect for the goals. McHugh did well in the middle and went forward rather than side to side like he did on Saturday. 
Willoughby wasn’t involved much other than his two goals but McKenzie and Bryden did all the running for him. 

3 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

That was fucking horrible and fucking brilliant at the same time. 

3-1 up and fairly comfortable, Thistle were self-imploding. We go to 5 at the back and immediately concede twice. I’m pretty sure we scored with our only 5 shots on target. 

The Keeper made 3-4 fantastic saves but looked suspect for the goals. McHugh did well in the middle and went forward rather than side to side like he did on Saturday. 
Willoughby wasn’t involved much other than his two goals but McKenzie and Bryden did all the running for him. 

He was at fault for the first goal second and third shouldn’t have happened cause we gave Milne space to put crosses in, Defenders should have marked Adeloye and the own goal was unfortunate but again gave Milne too much space 

5 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Fair enough, but he just looks short of quite a few basics right now - he is very very raw. I didn’t see the Airdrie game, but that’s basically what I’ve thought whenever I’ve seen him, including pre season. 

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

I don’t think he’s even ready to be doing that and even if he was, who does he start over? 

Would agree that he's not ready to start and needs to develop more beyond being a quick ball carrier.

Brown does seem to trust him although I'm not convinced he's helping his development and confidence by playing him out of position so happy to give him the benefit of the doubt.

19 minutes ago, Iain said:

Probably only need six or seven points more. Will be glad to see them on the board.

Yeah would agree with that.

Away to Pars & ICT then home to QP & Airdrie - anywhere in the range of 7-9 points from those games and we would be safe.

We're still in the mire to a certain extent, but we're clear with a couple more big wins.

Considering how desperate things looked for a while, that's a good feeling for now.

Edited by AUcal

2 minutes ago, GaryMc93 said:

Would agree that he's not ready to start and needs to develop more beyond being a quick ball carrier.

Brown does seem to trust him although I'm not convinced he's helping his development and confidence by playing him out of position so happy to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Aye I said at the time I didn’t think it was very fair to Tomlinson but then I said the same thing when he came on at Ibrox. I think Brown will look quite a lot at a players attitude and if he likes that then he’ll put a lot of faith in you.

For all Bullen seemed to trust Bryden, he never gave him as big a task as Brown did tonight but fair play I thought he did a brilliant job of occupying Milne. 

It is very much a case of square pegs in round holes with the team selections but it is partly out of Browns hands. The important thing is that even with a slightly makeshift team, everyone knows their role and what’s expected of them. Thats a fairly promising sign that you’ve got someone competent in the dugout if the tactics and instructions are clear to a 19 year old striker playing as a right sided midfielder.