The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

2 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

Would more than likely have found out from the likes of Burns or VOR who I imagine all talk and move in the same circles. 

Aye it was Scott Burns that broke the story and VOR name dropped Oakley In his article and now Chris Dodds reporting it. I’d say it’s got to be more than a just a rumour at this stage. 

19 minutes ago, Replays said:

Jordan Houston has signed for Clyde tonight. Sounds like a potentially decent signing for League Two and obviously McCall and Kerr know him. Should he do a job for us plodders down in the basement league?

I wonder if instead of the classic McCall going back in for one of his boys this one is more on Mark Kerr, I wouldn't get excited by it though.  He's a poor defender and not effective going forward.  He's had a lot of injuries which has affected his pace as well.  

7 minutes ago, Superhursty7 said:

All this going on and Broony is at the beach in Cancun or somewhere like that just chilling 🤣

39°C wherever he wiz the day! 🍹

11 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

You’d have thought that the guy was told by someone at the club as is usually the case with local journalists.

Not sure about that. He has form for swings and misses recently.

10 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

Would more than likely have found out from the likes of Burns or VOR who I imagine all talk and move in the same circles. 

More likely.

48 minutes ago, Replays said:

Jordan Houston has signed for Clyde tonight. Sounds like a potentially decent signing for League Two and obviously McCall and Kerr know him. Should he do a job for us plodders down in the basement league?

His downfall occurred because Bullen seemed to regard his fullbacks as some sort of human sacrifices to be spit-roasted on the pitch for good luck. With his confidence shot he was then bundled off to play under an even less competent manager the league below.

McCall loves a rehabilitation story and he'll be one of the best fullbacks in the league under him.

7 minutes ago, Scott-ish said:

I truly couldn't care less if we sign Oakley but the outrage from Morton / Imrie is tremendous.

We rarely actually sign players we're linked with anyway so we'll see what happens.

Aye the thought of signing Oakley doesn't excite me in the slightest 

2 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Bankrolled he says when we missed out on pretty much all our first, second and third choice targets last season. 

Besides the investment into the ground I’ve seen no suggestion we’re bankrolled and we certainly aren’t backed hugely in terms of the playing squad. 

We can afford to pay McGeady to sit in the stand and watch our matches. 

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Rodders1910 said:

Aye the thought of signing Oakley doesn't excite me in the slightest 

Why? Who are you actually expecting us to sign? Players with experience of the championship (or above) is exactly what we need and he’s got that. I’m not saying he’s going to bang in 15/20+ goals however I’m far more confident of him being a success than some random punt from down south. 

If this is the sort of calibre of player we are going to be bringing in then I’m quietly confident of a succesful season and look forward to who else Brown can attract. 

Edited by ayrunitedfw

Posted (edited)

Would have liked us to sign him, still happy enough if we keep Diack in as understudy to Graham all the same.

Only basing it on some of the Friday night TV games but he puts in me in mind of Steven Craig and some of the goals he got for us in the title winning season. Having someone you can just bloot the ball up to and they can still make a few goals from it is really useful, have seen plenty of powderpuff forwards through the years fail to do anything of the sort; Graham doesn't typically do that for us although I think he got one from a mix up against Arbroath this season.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

2 hours ago, Jives Miguel said:

But pretty concerning that Ayr, Raith, Livingston, Inverness, and possibly Partick and Dunfermline, are all paying more than they could afford without a financial backer. 

But are we? The season before last we made a small profit. Last season's accounts will have a £250k+ transfer fee and the receipts from a game at Ibrox in them so should look better still.