The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

3 minutes ago, Nelson said:

Howley looked ok, but tired pretty badly and was a 2nd yellow waiting to happen.  Wasn’t surprised he got hooked, but will hopefully be a good addition.  Been a little disappointed with Oakley if I’m honest - doesn’t seem to make much of a contribution in general play - but maybe he can step up a bit if Dowds is going to be out for a while.   Hard to judge Bavidge, but seems more mobile than our other options.

I sometimes wonder what people genuinely expect from our players. 

Oakley has four goals and two assists in ten games, while battling and generally being a very good focal point. 

5 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Oakley has four goals and two assists in ten games, while battling and generally being a very good focal point. 

Oakley has been better than Dowds for me. 

1 minute ago, No_Problemo said:

Oakley has had a decent enough start, but I was expecting his hold up play to be a bit better.  For all his physical presence, he doesn’t seem to win that many headers either, preferring to get into a lot of grappling with defenders which invariably ends with him conceding a foul.   I’m not sure him and Dowds are a natural partnership so they might be trying/wanting to play in the same areas which might be part of the issue.  Dowds has certainly been flying and if he is out for a while, we probably will need to change our approach - a more mobile Bavidge getting beyond Oakley for example. 

57 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

If Dowds is out long term then I’d consider changing the shape and having Rus pushed further forward behind Oakley and keeping Howley and Dempsey behind him. 

Bavidge may well start next week and stake a claim but I also think Howley is really coming onto a game as well. 

McIntyre

Watret Stanger McAvoy Reading

Howley Dempsey

Henderson Rus Bavidge

Oakley

Would like to see us line up with something like this next week presuming Dowds, Stone and McMann are out and that McAvoy is up to speed by then. I've been impressed with Howley so far and I think he could form a good partnership with Dempsey. Bavidge looked OK, he definitely has ability but seemed a bit too lightweight to get involved in the game and make an impact.

Considering Brown's comments on the subs I reckon that Hastie could potentially start next week over Bavidge as while I'm not 100% convinced with him yet he was the only sub who looked like he could change the game yesterday.

10 minutes ago, GuyIncognito said:

McIntyre

Watret Stanger McAvoy Reading

Howley Dempsey

Henderson Rus Bavidge

Oakley

Would like to see us line up with something like this next week presuming Dowds, Stone and McMann are out and that McAvoy is up to speed by then. I've been impressed with Howley so far and I think he could form a good partnership with Dempsey. Bavidge looked OK, he definitely has ability but seemed a bit too lightweight to get involved in the game and make an impact.

Considering Brown's comments on the subs I reckon that Hastie could potentially start next week over Bavidge as while I'm not 100% convinced with him yet he was the only sub who looked like he could change the game yesterday.

I’d go with hastie wide left 

58 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Think he claimed the goal against Falkirk, that being the case he’s on five goals in ten games which is pretty respectable. 
The goals tally apart big George does much much more than just that ! Hugely important player for us . 

2 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Oakley has been better than Dowds for me. 

I think Dowds is possibly better in the role Oakley is playing. Not that he hasn’t been good where he is. The two of them must be horrific for defenders to play against. 

2 hours ago, Nelson said:

Oakley has had a decent enough start, but I was expecting his hold up play to be a bit better.  For all his physical presence, he doesn’t seem to win that many headers either, preferring to get into a lot of grappling with defenders which invariably ends with him conceding a foul.   I’m not sure him and Dowds are a natural partnership so they might be trying/wanting to play in the same areas which might be part of the issue.  Dowds has certainly been flying and if he is out for a while, we probably will need to change our approach - a more mobile Bavidge getting beyond Oakley for example. 

It’s very difficult for strikers to win headers, the defender is always going to have a huge advantage. What he does do though is make it very difficult for them, so they don’t get any kind of distance on it and we then pick up the second ball. I also think he’s good when it’s played into his chest/feet. 

I liked the look of Bavidge in flashes, and definitely want to see a bit more of him. Looked to have really good feet. 

16 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

I think Dowds is possibly better in the role Oakley is playing. Not that he hasn’t been good where he is. The two of them must be horrific for defenders to play against. 

It’s very difficult for strikers to win headers, the defender is always going to have a huge advantage. What he does do though is make it very difficult for them, so they don’t get any kind of distance on it and we then pick up the second ball. I also think he’s good when it’s played into his chest/feet. 

I liked the look of Bavidge in flashes, and definitely want to see a bit more of him. Looked to have really good feet. 

Yeah I’m not sure Dowds is suited to the role he’s playing but he’s doing a fine job so far. He’s scoring a fair few goals without playing as well as he did last season imo. I think sometimes he’s quite clumsy and moves break down with him. 

Oakley is just everything I thought he was. An awkward, horrible b*****d who has done well with the chances he’s been given. Everytime he goes for the ball it “could” be a foul but he’s banking on the referee not seeing it. However when he gets booked so early as he did yesterday then he loses a wee bit of what makes him so good. If Dowds hadn’t been injured then I think Oakley would’ve been subbed off earlier.

I found the Bavidge sub a bit off both in timing and where we decided to play him. No point in having three wide players on the bench only to put a striker on there. I’d like to see more of Hastie. I think there’s something there but he looks totally shot of confidence. There was one point where he picked the ball up and had a massive gap of space to drive into where he would’ve been able to play in one of Bavidge or Oakley. Instead he took a step and just passed it off to McKenzie and I think Partick then won the ball back. Someone like Rus, who is on fire and full of confidence would’ve taken it on himself but I don’t think Hastie has that belief in him. If his strike had gone in yesterday then that would’ve done the world of good. 

Even if Dowds is long term (God forbid it's ligament...) there'll not be anyone out there in loan market we could go and get of any real quality I wouldn't have thought. 

Would imagine we'd need to ride out with what we have until January.

As someone said though moving Rus up top into almost a Moffat like role would probably be the most logical step...

1 hour ago, Rb123 said:

Even if Dowds is long term (God forbid it's ligament...) there'll not be anyone out there in loan market we could go and get of any real quality I wouldn't have thought

Honestly, I can't see how it could be anything other than a ligament injury. 

3 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Yeah I’m not sure Dowds is suited to the role he’s playing but he’s doing a fine job so far. He’s scoring a fair few goals without playing as well as he did last season imo. I think sometimes he’s quite clumsy and moves break down with him. 

Oakley is just everything I thought he was. An awkward, horrible b*****d who has done well with the chances he’s been given. Everytime he goes for the ball it “could” be a foul but he’s banking on the referee not seeing it. However when he gets booked so early as he did yesterday then he loses a wee bit of what makes him so good. If Dowds hadn’t been injured then I think Oakley would’ve been subbed off earlier.

I found the Bavidge sub a bit off both in timing and where we decided to play him. No point in having three wide players on the bench only to put a striker on there. I’d like to see more of Hastie. I think there’s something there but he looks totally shot of confidence. There was one point where he picked the ball up and had a massive gap of space to drive into where he would’ve been able to play in one of Bavidge or Oakley. Instead he took a step and just passed it off to McKenzie and I think Partick then won the ball back. Someone like Rus, who is on fire and full of confidence would’ve taken it on himself but I don’t think Hastie has that belief in him. If his strike had gone in yesterday then that would’ve done the world of good. 

I think Bavidge played wide quite a bit with Kelty. 

Unfortunately, it’s unlikely that Hastie will recover that confidence as an impact sub. He has done some good things, yesterday it was generally something good followed up by something bad though. 

We’re just an entirely different proposition with Rus on the park, as he opens space up for the entire team. 

6 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

He's playing as the battering ram, creating the space for Dowds. It's so obvious his job is too drag defenders all over.

52 minutes ago, Shibuya said:

Honestly, I can't see how it could be anything other than a ligament injury. 

Maybe a physiotherapy course would broaden your knowledge of possible injuries he may have sustained.  Could you report back after your first few classes ? ( for future reference )😊

7 minutes ago, ComradeDiego said:

Apparently Dowds left the ground on crutches?

Imagine he would until they know extent of injury,  to keep the weight off it. Last year Murdy got taken straight to hospital at morton, hopefully it is not in that scale. 

39 minutes ago, Rb123 said:

Pished myself laughing when they are talking about already being at Fulham on trial, United/Forrest/Arsenal all interested then saying Hearts and Aberdeen interested haha.  It is going to be interesting to see how much we would actually go for.  I don't think we;d get anywhere near 1 million, probably very silly money to be looking at getting for a 17 year old in the second tier of Scottish football.  However if you are getting half that and firing in sell on clauses and appearance clauses for their first team and international as well as a possibility of coming back on loan (if this was done in January) then you'd be absolutely delighted.  I know we want to keep these types of guys, however we have moaned about not getting the money for the likes of Forrest/Shankland/McCowan/Crawford over the past few years.  January/next summer best time to sell while his stock and potential is high.