Thistle Vs Magnificent Double Cup Finalists Motherwell

Was something said to Cipre at full time?  He seemed quite upset with the fans over on the left of the JHS.  Suppose it was part of his Cerny-esque gamesmanship, but he seemed pretty raging.  Also, hard not to be amused by the vitriol and seethe that accompanied every Motherwell set piece with them stealing yards.  I've never understood why people get so angry about that given that Thistle will do it at every single set piece too.  Is this just a thing our fans get overly worked up about or is it universal?  

Thought Kipre celebrating infront the JHS was quite funny tbh. Players gloating to opposition fans should be encouraged.

I’ve noticed this season how annoyed our fans get at opposition players stealing 5-10 yards at throw-ins. Quite bizarre.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, milhouse said:

Personally, I think we should be encouraging enthusiastic young fans, especially ones who have demonstrated a lot of effort in supporting the club.

I'd like to apologise to him. Heard he was behind the banner, was infact one of his pals. He's tearing strips aff Colin Quinn on twitter now too so he's doing well.

13 minutes ago, Reid said:

Thought Kipre celebrating infront the JHS was quite funny tbh. Players gloating to opposition fans should be encouraged.

I’ve noticed this season how annoyed our fans get at opposition players stealing 5-10 yards at throw-ins. Quite bizarre.

There is an older guy (I think of him as "minor infringement man") that has sat near me at Fir Park for about 20 years who has at least 5 apoplectic "foul throw" shouts in every game. Number I've seen given in that time: 2

I'm sure he was gutted when the goalkeeper "steps" restriction was removed too as he used to shout for that as well (although I have heard him counting up to five when there is some Cerny-esque slow play happening).

1 hour ago, Firhill_Basin said:

I'd like to apologise to him. Heard he was behind the banner, was infact one of his pals. He's tearing strips aff Colin Quinn on twitter now too so he's doing well.

Good on him. Quinn is the biggest dickhead on Thistle Twitter which is quite an achievement.

1 hour ago, Hammer Jag said:

Good on him. Quinn is the biggest dickhead on Thistle Twitter which is quite an achievement.

Colin Quinn?     Ballbag of a supposed man. 

If it wasn't for giving up Scotland and going to Eurovision the morra,  I'd be a shivering wreck of a man.   

In fact...  

5 hours ago, GrahamJags said:

I actually cannot be arsed with Saturday at all, and kind of just want County to win (we aren't getting anything from our game) just to put us out our misery so that I don't have to face an additional week of this insipid pish,

Wishful thinking I’m afraid, we can’t score and have McCarey back in goals.  Enjoy the playoffs :green

Exactly, but the unnatural way players go down in these situations always wrankles.  The player with the ball is going to be doing everything in his power to be touched (oo-er) by the defender, so it's often difficult, but he was heading towards the touchline, just need to make sure you don't make any contact unless he turns his way back.  But again, them getting the freekick wasn't the whole story of the goal.  We also had the rest of the game to do something, anything, to change it and fucked it up.
On that linesman, I did enjoy the frothing seethe that accompanied him not flagging a Motherwell player offside midway through the second half despite him being several yards off.  I'd imagine the fact that he'd already turned away, and Cerny was about to pick the ball up probably contributed to it, but didn't stop the abuse from raining down.  Particularly from the guy that seems to always wait for everyone to quieten down before bellowing out something PG-13.

I was sitting in the stand with the bulk of the Thistle fans and it looked as though Cadden nipped in front of him and was bundled over albeit a bit easily. He was looking for the foul but it's still a foul although I admit it's frustrating when you're on the losing end.

The ref and his assistant didn't have any idea who the ball came off following a Motherwell shot and awarded a bye kick to Thistle causing some fans to boo how clueless they were even although they were the beneficiaries. I think by that point they were ready to boo anything.

If it's deemed to be a free kick fair enough, it's the inconsistency with referee's that's pissed me off for a long time now. There was probably the same amount of contact as there was on, I think it was McGinn, right at the end of the match when he went down in the box and JHS were calling for a penalty. Couldn't see it from where I was standing, but after watching the highlights there was definite contact and he went down. So the old argument, if Madden doesn't give it, is it not a yellow then? Or is it just not enough contact to give a penalty but it was earlier deemed enough contact for a free kick.

7 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I was sitting in the stand with the bulk of the Thistle fans and it looked as though Cadden nipped in front of him and was bundled over albeit a bit easily. He was looking for the foul but it's still a foul although I admit it's frustrating when you're on the losing end.

The ref and his assistant didn't have any idea who the ball came off following a Motherwell shot and awarded a bye kick to Thistle causing some fans to boo how clueless they were even although they were the beneficiaries. I think by that point they were ready to boo anything.

Regardless of whether it was a foul, it was poor defending that cost us the points.

Your second paragraph should have ended after nine words.

Thistle were the better team first half, Motherwell changed it and brought Bigirimana on.  If I were a Thistle fan, I'd have been furious at the number of times one of our players sprayed it wide on the right to Bigirimana and nobody was near him allowing him to waltz forward.  That's how the goal started before he played in Cadden.  But this was the sixth time we'd done it and any manager worth his salt would have seen what was happening and made a tactical switch to curtail it because the amount of space he was finding it was only a matter of time before we made it count.  Changing it after we went 1 up was like locking the stable door after the horse had bolted.  Free kick was soft but was in line with what Madden had been giving beforehand and referees have been giving all season so think it is tough for Thistle to have too many complaints.  Scrumptious ball dutifully banged home.  Was surprised at the lack of urgency from Thistle thereafter, seemed that the first thing that gave them a lift was the board with 5 minutes going up.  To be honest over the course of the game with the balance of play, I reckon we deserved only a draw but we generally defended properly and made the braver tactical decisions so can argue we deserved to win.  For us, the best Cadden has played for ages, Bigirimana made a big difference, Bowman very good and young Turnbull looked like he belonged in that midfield.  Bit too open at the start and Kipre still has some moments in him but overall a very good night's work.

1 hour ago, tweed275 said:

Thistle were the better team first half, Motherwell changed it and brought Bigirimana on.  If I were a Thistle fan, I'd have been furious at the number of times one of our players sprayed it wide on the right to Bigirimana and nobody was near him allowing him to waltz forward.  That's how the goal started before he played in Cadden.  But this was the sixth time we'd done it and any manager worth his salt would have seen what was happening and made a tactical switch to curtail it because the amount of space he was finding it was only a matter of time before we made it count.  Changing it after we went 1 up was like locking the stable door after the horse had bolted. 

Still furious at it, tbf.  

The last sentence has been the story of our season.  Every.  Fackin.  Week.

Archived