Thistle Vs Magnificent Double Cup Finalists Motherwell

,Looking forward to seeing Stevie Robinson try out a few fringe and youth players in preparation for the Cup Final. 

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any word on Booth? I assume Keown will be in but tbh team selection this season has been a complete lottery. Half expect Dumbuya to come in from fucking nowhere like he did for the Celtic game earlier in the season.

Really hope Cargill is fit for this too.

There's a few players that are no-brainers to start if fit and available for selection at the minute (off the top of my head Erskine especially on the back of the County game, Edwards, Cerny, McCarthy, Elliot, Cargill, Keown) but there's a bit of a selection headache particularly with the forward options for trying to pick a team that can score goals -  :

Sammon doesn't seem to have scored from open play since the Dundee game on 17/02/2018 unless I've missed something. 

Storey was shocking against County but played a big part in our three goal first half performance in the 3-2 win over Motherwell, hasn't done all that much apart from that + the St Johnstone game

Doolan has been hit and miss for much of the season but scored in the 1-1 draw against 'Well away + the equaliser recently against Accies, didn't do a lot against County last time out though

edit: think Lawless should start, I assume he was being rested with this game in mind.

Going by Robinson's post-match interview yesterday he had intended to do a bit more "rotation" in this game however after getting scudded 5-1 by Saints having only made 3 changes he seems to be giving the vibe that plan's going out the window.

Quite a few questions about our midfield tbh. Both McHugh and Grimshaw were hooked at HT but we were an utter shitshow defensively. I pointed out in the match thread but yesterday we conceded the same number of goals in one game as we had in the last 7 combined. Despite Bigirimana getting a consolation Robinson seemed fairly unimpressed with the impact the subs made (apart from Bowman).

I'd be going back to the usual back 5 and I could see us just reverting to type and trying to shitfest our way through this one tbqh.

Possibly persevere with Frear and play Tait in place of Cadden, Turnbull in for one of the midfield 3 would be the only rotation I would do, first choice back 3 to provide stability.

Bowman or Nadir, not fussed.

14 hours ago, ropy said:

Possibly persevere with Frear and play Tait in place of Cadden, Turnbull in for one of the midfield 3 would be the only rotation I would do, first choice back 3 to provide stability.

Bowman or Nadir, not fussed.

Let’s no though eh.

As for Turnbull, as much as I’d also like to see him get the nod I imagine young Maguire’s performance on Saturday put paid to any of the youngsters getting another start this season. 

Was planning on heading to this but after Saturday’s performance, combined with our record at Firhill and Thistle’s need being far greater I think I’ll give this a swerve. Plus going by Robinson’s post match rant on Saturday, it sounds like it’ll be back to basics for us- which means this won't be pretty.  

We've drawn our last 2 away games 0-0 and I imagine after Saturday, Robinson would take a point and a clean sheet right now if offered.

15 hours ago, Hammer Jag said:

Friday’s shitshow has drained my enthusiasm completely. Wake me up in time for Ayr away next season.

Bloody love this away trip. Hmm, relegation doesn't seem so bad now. Cheers pal.

On 05/05/2018 at 15:40, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Any word on Booth? I assume Keown will be in but tbh team selection this season has been a complete lottery. Half expect Dumbuya to come in from fucking nowhere like he did for the Celtic game earlier in the season.

Really hope Cargill is fit for this too.

Booth has possibly played his last game for us. Got an outside chance of making play-offs, at best.

I think Cargill will be fine - reportedly a dead leg on Friday so should be fit.

It was really despairing stuff on Friday. The result was by no means disastrous, and I'd rather be in our position than County's, but the manner in which we played was really pretty demoralising even for those who try their damnedest to see the positives. The change of formation was suicidal, the substitutions only marginally less so.

Looking at Barton and Osman on our bench on Friday - the former only featuring due to injury and the latter not even entering contemplation - it is truly staggering, bordering unexplainable, to comprehend the complete vanishing of their form and subsequent sidelining. 

To try to put the positive hat back on, we're unbeaten in three and if we are to make the play-offs, going into them on the back of some semblance of form can only be a good thing. I still maintain that there's a relatively clear chasm between the Premiership and Championship this season, and whoever ends up in the play-off has a very good chance of staying up.

Onto tomorrow, we could probably have done without Motherwell visiting on the back of get their arses felt. Keown will come back in and we'll no doubt play Sammon up front on his tod  against three centre halves with Lawless coming in for Dools.

Haud me back.

Will be watching the 1st leg playoff with interest tonight, on paper Livi appear to be the better team but if we are to finish 11th I'd face them over United 100%. It's not just because I'm one of the unlucky ones who is old enough to remember 22 years ago but I would have zero faith in this set of players (and manager) to go to a ground with a sizeable home crowd and not curl up in the foetal position in the 1st leg based on our exploits over the last couple of years (especially this year). If it was at livi the crowd would be relatively evenly split and I think we might just nudge past them.

We've got to get to 11th first and I'm expecting no favours from anyone for County or Hamilton's last 2 games (think Hamilton will win comfortably tomorrow so not allowing myself to think of 10th) so if we don't win this we might well be bottom come 10pm.  I've no idea what our least bad team is but what is passing for our defence these days is giving me the fear.  If we roll out Elliott- Keown-Devine-McGinn tomorrow, yikes...Motherwell's record at Firhill in the last 20 years is a positive, but could have done with them taking the foot off the gas a game later as I can't imagine they'll be so pish twice in a row with cup final places available.

I know they got cuffed at the weekend, but barring the blip Motherwell had between Moult leaving and Main coming in, they've looked a decent team whenever I've seen them. I'd be pretty surprised if we won tomorrow night.

Archived