Thistle Vs Magnificent Double Cup Finalists Motherwell

The Auld Duffers behind me are clearly more cheerful when Saturday rolls around, because I had to listen to some amount of pish last night.  Luckily the product on the pitch made up for...oh...oh no.

At the back, I don't think we really did too much wrong.  The goal was a wonderful delivery, and although we shouldn't be giving him that much of an unchallenged header, it was hardly criminal.  What was criminal was everything else.  Aside from the first couple of minutes, we didn't look like we would ever score.  Slow and ponderous most of the time, and when we did look to up the urgency, it caused us to just balloon the ball into nothing.  Barton was clearly put in the team to win headers, and he did that well, but continental drift moves quicker than he does, and he clearly looked uncomfortable in the role he had been given.  Sammon was poor but at least won some challenges, Doolan was just poor.  We absolutely deserve to go down, and I wouldn't be surprised if Ross County manage to lift themselves one more time and seal our fate on Saturday.  No way are we getting anything at Dens.

Was something said to Cipre at full time?  He seemed quite upset with the fans over on the left of the JHS.  Suppose it was part of his Cerny-esque gamesmanship, but he seemed pretty raging.  Also, hard not to be amused by the vitriol and seethe that accompanied every Motherwell set piece with them stealing yards.  I've never understood why people get so angry about that given that Thistle will do it at every single set piece too.  Is this just a thing our fans get overly worked up about or is it universal?  

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

Weird formation (almost looked like a 3-3-3-1?!), but with thistle having f**k all width it worked perfectly, and Allan Campbell was absolutely sensaysh.

Robinson's said in his post-match it was 3-diamond-3.

That's some Bielsa-type patter right there. Worked a treat though.

10 hours ago, jagfox99 said:

We have a lot of Tartan Army fans amongst our support. Coincidence?

I'm one of them if supporting Scotland home and away is what you call the Tartan Army (although I loathe the term), there's another couple in this thread and I know another dozen or so who do the same.

I can say with absolute certainty it's a coincidence. 

Noticed and mentioned it last night, Cerny isn't a time wasting cheat. He just seems to be as slow as shite when taking kicks. Witnessed it last night. Always thought he was a cheat tae.

1 minute ago, Busta Nut said:

Noticed and mentioned it last night, Cerny isn't a time wasting cheat. He just seems to be as slow as shite when taking kicks. Witnessed it last night. Always thought he was a cheat tae.

I've seen Thistle fans on here & on twitter saying he bursts their heids with it sometimes as well. He's slow as all f**k even when they're chasing the game.

Accies have lost eight of their last nine games and they are still safe with a  game to go.  Honestly, those c***s are never getting relegated.  You almost need to grudgingly give them respect for that.

Thistle & County are a disgrace for not taking advantage.  Get them both to f**k, you don't deserve a thing.

1 hour ago, Pie Of The Month said:

I'm one of them if supporting Scotland home and away is what you call the Tartan Army (although I loathe the term), there's another couple in this thread and I know another dozen or so who do the same.

I can say with absolute certainty it's a coincidence. 

Fair comment :angel

14 minutes ago, Desp said:

Accies have lost eight of their last nine games and they are still safe with a  game to go.  Honestly, those c***s are never getting relegated.  You almost need to grudgingly give them respect for that.

Thistle & County are a disgrace for not taking advantage.  Get them both to f**k, you don't deserve a thing.

Accies are the only team that are fighting relegation from the first day of the season while everyone else trots out the "aiming for the Top 6" pish and don't wake up to their predicament until they're in the grubber in late-February.  Accies may be time-wasting after 30 mins, hoping for a point on the 2nd weekend of the season and not giving a single f**k - but it clearly works and they deserve some respect for that. 

15 minutes ago, Desp said:

I have to say, I 100% agree with this. We have been incapable of grinding out wins, and these past two home games against a Country team as bad as us, and a Well team with nothing to play for, which have yielded 1 point between them, mean we thoroughly deserve automatic relegation.  Accies have handed us a massive losing run on a plate, and we've managed somehow to stay comfortably below them and take no advantage of it whatsoever.

Wistfully thinking back to the 1-0 win over Morton in our promotion season - at home, needing a win on a huge night for the future of the club, got what we needed  I'd say the team that night would have done the business in at least one of the last two games. I'd take Balatoni and Muirhead over any back 2 with Devine (although he didn't have his usual complete nightmare last night tbf) any day, that's for sure, before we even factor in ATS and SOD as wingbacks who we've never replaced.  We're basically a much, much worse team a few years down the line, with far less fight, despite youth investment, playing in the top league, and Top 6 money last season. Very, very depressing.

1 hour ago, forameus said:

He's slow at the best of times, but he clearly takes it up several notches when we need to waste time.

After the goal Cerny raced to the corner of the box, was he having a go at the wall or the linesman, or had he just lost it?

2 hours ago, well fan for life said:

I've seen Thistle fans on here & on twitter saying he bursts their heids with it sometimes as well. He's slow as all f**k even when they're chasing the game.

What, like "Stevie Hammell taking a throw in" slow, you mean?

3 hours ago, forameus said:

At the back, I don't think we really did too much wrong.  The goal was a wonderful delivery, and although we shouldn't be giving him that much of an unchallenged header, it was hardly criminal.  What was criminal was everything else.  Aside from the first couple of minutes, we didn't look like we would ever score.  Slow and ponderous most of the time, and when we did look to up the urgency, it caused us to just balloon the ball into nothing.  Barton was clearly put in the team to win headers, and he did that well, but continental drift moves quicker than he does, and he clearly looked uncomfortable in the role he had been given. 

There was a clear difference between our defence and Motherwell's.  Every pass/punt to a forward from us, a Motherwell body accompanied the attacker and put pressure on it.  We, however, looked like we were waiting for the ball to come to a complete stop before we could even think about playing it.  

Barton actually played decent last night.  Compare him on the right to Edwards (who was supposedly) on the left.  

1 hour ago, ropy said:

After the goal Cerny raced to the corner of the box, was he having a go at the wall or the linesman, or had he just lost it?

All of the above.  I suspect it was complaining that the free kick was given.  It was pretty soft, although if you touch a player in that situation he's going to go down.  No matter how good a ball it is, you've still got a chance of stopping it even if the free kick was dubious.  He was pretty raging though.

3 minutes ago, the_paulo said:

Saturday's big finale will be exciting, eh.  

It should be exciting, it should be nerve-wracking, but at the moment I just feel completely drained of any emotion towards this team and the manager. 

I was really pumped up for Friday's game as I was confident that we would put County to bed and reel Hamilton in. What transpired was just the most pathetic, insipid excuse for a performance. Hopefully my enthusiasm will return for the play-offs should we get there. I wont hold my breath though.

24 minutes ago, Doctor Manhattan said:

What, like "Stevie Hammell taking a throw in" slow, you mean?

Nothing in human history is slower than Stevie Hammell taking a throw in.

8 minutes ago, forameus said:

All of the above.  I suspect it was complaining that the free kick was given.  It was pretty soft, although if you touch a player in that situation he's going to go down.  No matter how good a ball it is, you've still got a chance of stopping it even if the free kick was dubious.  He was pretty raging though.

It was soft but it looked more clumsy than a particularly malicious attempt at fouling. If you dunt someone in the back in that situation you're always going to get a free kick given against you.

2 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

It was soft but it looked more clumsy than a particularly malicious attempt at fouling. If you dunt someone in the back in that situation you're always going to get a free kick given against you.

Exactly, but the unnatural way players go down in these situations always wrankles.  The player with the ball is going to be doing everything in his power to be touched (oo-er) by the defender, so it's often difficult, but he was heading towards the touchline, just need to make sure you don't make any contact unless he turns his way back.  But again, them getting the freekick wasn't the whole story of the goal.  We also had the rest of the game to do something, anything, to change it and fucked it up.

On that linesman, I did enjoy the frothing seethe that accompanied him not flagging a Motherwell player offside midway through the second half despite him being several yards off.  I'd imagine the fact that he'd already turned away, and Cerny was about to pick the ball up probably contributed to it, but didn't stop the abuse from raining down.  Particularly from the guy that seems to always wait for everyone to quieten down before bellowing out something PG-13.

35 minutes ago, Hammer Jag said:

It should be exciting, it should be nerve-wracking, but at the moment I just feel completely drained of any emotion towards this team and the manager. 

I was really pumped up for Friday's game as I was confident that we would put County to bed and reel Hamilton in. What transpired was just the most pathetic, insipid excuse for a performance. Hopefully my enthusiasm will return for the play-offs should we get there. I wont hold my breath though.

This is bang on the way I'm currently feeling.

I actually cannot be arsed with Saturday at all, and kind of just want County to win (we aren't getting anything from our game) just to put us out our misery so that I don't have to face an additional week of this insipid pish,

Archived