P&B Hospital

2 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

This was this time last year. My dog was in the bad books with the Mrs  for knocking her off her feet and leaving her lower leg and foot hanging on by a flap of skin. Healed up well though. Was due to get the metalwork removed last month but had to be binned because of the bug thing. 

DC8CA538-3A8B-4C14-992E-DD1D557E9F6B.jpeg

Thats the appropriate level for the P&B Hospital to deal with. Looks like a Jrn Doc did the stitching though 2/10

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've been diagnosed with a Pionidal cyst, thought I just had a bit of a sore arse from all the cycling I'd been doing during Lockdown.

Anyway about a week ago this thing turned into a massive lump from the bottom of my back right into the cleft of the backside. Even the slightest movement was painful, I near passed out in pain after going for a pish last Thursday morning. 

Called the docs who got me seen to pretty quickly, he referred me to the surgeon but obviously with the Covid situation there's a pretty long waiting list to be seen.

I've been given a course of Antibiotics which seems to have done the trick just now, my course finishes at the weekend so will see how it goes but the lump is barely noticeable now.

Heard some horror stories about these things coming back and people being left with some pretty nasty scars; I'm hoping I've managed to get on top of it early and I might not need surgery or of I do then the damage to the backside will be minimal.

1 hour ago, List_of_Jericho said:

I've been diagnosed with a Pionidal cyst, thought I just had a bit of a sore arse from all the cycling I'd been doing during Lockdown.

Anyway about a week ago this thing turned into a massive lump from the bottom of my back right into the cleft of the backside. Even the slightest movement was painful, I near passed out in pain after going for a pish last Thursday morning. 

Called the docs who got me seen to pretty quickly, he referred me to the surgeon but obviously with the Covid situation there's a pretty long waiting list to be seen.

I've been given a course of Antibiotics which seems to have done the trick just now, my course finishes at the weekend so will see how it goes but the lump is barely noticeable now.

Heard some horror stories about these things coming back and people being left with some pretty nasty scars; I'm hoping I've managed to get on top of it early and I might not need surgery or of I do then the damage to the backside will be minimal.

You don't want to end up looking half arsed.

3 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

Wish I hadn't done a google images search of Pionidal cysts.

This is worse. So much worse. It's a link to Reddit with an exceptionally graphic image of some post surgical removal of such a cyst:

Anyway, a former colleague told me about something similar (possibly an in-grown hair).

He was on holiday and thought he had a spot or something on his arse. It was a minor irritant at first, but as the holiday went on it slowly got a bit worse. On the last day he was in a bit of pain and had to sit a certain way. Fortunately the flight home wasn't too long.

He went to the hospital, expecting them to give him some antibiotics or something. Technically, he was right.

However, having looked at it, the doctor booked him into surgery within a few hours as the infection had gone pretty deep. He was put under and they dug in to his arse cheek and removed it, cleaned out the wound and packed it (no euph). He was discharged the next day with some antibiotics and a delightfully amusing donut style contraption for sitting on.

Doesn't sound too bad, right?

Well, he had to get regular check ups to ensure it was healing correctly. By 'regularly' I mean daily. And by 'check ups' I mean he had to visit a nurse in his GP who removed the packing and inserted a needle in to the wound to check it was healing. Because the infection had gone fairly deep, this had to be done every day until the wound healed. After the needle torture the nurse then had to re-pack the wound. 

Poor lad had to endure this every day for a good few weeks (think he said 5 or 6). He also had colleagues questioning why he was sitting on a donut contraption (this was at a different place before he joined our office). He had to leave work early every day to do it too.

He was lucky that it was slightly to the side of the opening of the arse and not right in the crack. He said shitting and wiping were a grim, grim endurance.

But I'm sure @List_of_Jericho will be fine.

Edited by DA Baracus

6 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Anyway, a former colleague told me about something similar (possibly an in grown hair).

He was on holiday and thought he had a spot or something on his arse. It was a minor irritant at first, but as the holiday went on it slowly got a bit worse. On the last day he was in a bit of pain and had to sit a certain way. Fortunately the flight home wasn't too long.

He went to the hospital, expecting them to give him some antibiotics or something. Technically, he was right.

However, having looked at it, he was booked into surgery within a few hours as the infection had gone pretty deep. He was put under and they dug in to his arse cheek and removed it, cleaned out the wound and packed it (no euph). He was discharged the next day with some antibiotics and a delightfully amusing donut style contraption for sitting on.

Well, he had to get regular check ups to ensure it was healing correctly. By 'regularly' I mean daily. And by 'check ups' I mean he had to visit a nurse in his GP who removed the packing and inserted a needle in to the wound to check it was healing. Because the infection had gone fairly deep, this had to be done every day until the wound healed. After the needle torture the nurse then had to re-pack the wound. 

Poor lad had to endure this every day for a good few weeks (think he said 5 or 6). He also had colleagues questioning why he was sitting on a donut contraption (this was at a different place before he joined our office). 

He was lucky that it was slightly to the side of the opening of the arse and not right in the crack. He said shitting and wiping were a grim, grim endurance.

Thanks for this mate, I feel much more at ease now!

I'm hoping I've managed to catch it before it's got too bad, the difference over the last few days has been incredible, I could live with it as it is. Anyway will see how I am after the meds have finished.

I've had a look at some of those operation videos and it certainly looks like no picnic!

5 minutes ago, List_of_Jericho said:

Thanks for this mate, I feel much more at ease now!

I'm hoping I've managed to catch it before it's got too bad, the difference over the last few days has been incredible, I could live with it as it is. Anyway will see how I am after the meds have finished.

I've had a look at some of those operation videos and it certainly looks like no picnic!

Sounds like you caught it early. My former colleague was just over two weeks before he went to get it seen to and started on the antibiotics, so it had went pretty deep.

He did say he would have to consider doing himself in if he had to go through it all again.

41 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Anyway, a former colleague told me about something similar (possibly an in-grown hair).

However, having looked at it, the doctor booked him into surgery within a few hours as the infection had gone pretty deep. He was put under and they dug in to his arse cheek and removed it, cleaned out the wound and packed it (no euph). He was discharged the next day with some antibiotics and a delightfully amusing donut style contraption for sitting on.

Poor lad had to endure this every day for a good few weeks (think he said 5 or 6). He also had colleagues questioning why he was sitting on a donut contraption (this was at a different place before he joined our office). He had to leave work early every day to do it too.

@Rugster

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

I’ve had that twice. Perenial abscess. And yes the cleaning and repacking is amongst the worst things I’ve ever experienced. 

Just now, Rugster said:

I’ve had that twice. Perenial abscess. And yes the cleaning and repacking is amongst the worst things I’ve ever experienced. 

You poor, poor man. You have my utmost sympathies! Sounds like a dreadful experience. Twice as well! Hopefully not on different cheeks!

1 minute ago, DA Baracus said:

You poor, poor man. You have my utmost sympathies! Sounds like a dreadful experience. Twice as well! Hopefully not on different cheeks!

No. In exactly the same place both times. Consultant told me if it happened again further investigations including MRI required. Fortunately so far no recurrence. 

25 minutes ago, Rugster said:

No. In exactly the same place both times. Consultant told me if it happened again further investigations including MRI required. Fortunately so far no recurrence. 

You might  need to get your arse amputated?