P&B Hospital

41 minutes ago, superwell87 said:

Sorry for you loss mate. My thoughts are with you and your family. 

1 hour ago, Tynie Pecksniff said:

Condolences to you and your family.

Rip.

1 hour ago, Andy Dufresne said:

So sorry for you and families loss.

2 hours ago, Hard Graft said:

No more pain - best wishes to you and your family.

2 hours ago, Rugster said:

Best wishes mate. 

2 hours ago, hk blues said:

Condolences to you and the family

2 hours ago, johnnydun said:

Sorry for your loss mate.

Thanks folks. It’s sad but a relief she’s not suffering any more. 

28 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Hopefully a good innings, and going out high as f**k surrounded by family... Certainly could be a lot worse, though the loss hurts whichever way it comes. All the best 

2 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

Sair one mate. Sounds like it's been coming but also sounds like, as you said, a bit of 'relief' as it were. Hope your kid and wife aren't taking it too hard, and yourself of course!

I await the story of the amusing mishap you'll have at the funeral service.

Edited by DA Baracus

8 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

She’s no longer with us sadly but picked a nice day to go, plus you can see the floodlights of East End from her room so who could wish for more! 

All the best to you and the family!

• 3 weeks later...

Managed to rupture my achilles tendon over a month ago playing rugby.  Had surgery 3 weeks ago, currently hobbling around like a pirate on one leg.  Not going to be back playing for about a year (if at all, I'm getting old) and sitting around the house is already quite monotonous with no real routine.  Got quite a nice long scar now...

A colleague of mine goes for a physical every year, I think he pays for it to be done privately. I have never done this, does anyone else on P&B do it? 

I have a family history of heart disease and diabetes so I wonder if it will be worthwhile doing. It seems like something people in American TV shows do though.

45 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

A colleague of mine goes for a physical every year, I think he pays for it to be done privately. I have never done this, does anyone else on P&B do it? 

I have a family history of heart disease and diabetes so I wonder if it will be worthwhile doing. It seems like something people in American TV shows do though.

Your local surgery might do one for free, ours used to do a well man's thing, a yearly check up but I think they've dropped it. 

I might go into my GPS and ask the receptionist if I can book a health check, just for the sheer amusement of watching the dawning horror on her face as she realised I was looking for a face to face appointment with an actual doctor. I think it might make her actually burst into flames.

1 minute ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Just ask the receptionist to do it. In fact they’re so knowledgeable they could probably do it over the phone.

The Dr's at my GP take turns bout to have a 'down day' and sit answering phones. 

Not actual phone appointments, being a receptionist.

They'd genuinely be as well closing our surgery down. Anything less than life-threatening and it's a phone appointment; anything possibly life-threatening and you're advised to go to the hospital. Seems like the only thing they do now is renew prescriptions, and they're shockingly bad at that. They have an external online re-ordering system that you need a login for - I spent months trying to get a login and both myself and the surgery staff were totally ignored.

I got diagnosed with coccydynia over the phone earlier in the year. Apparently I'm just to wait for it to become unbearably painful and they'll book me in to have my tailbone removed, so I guess the first time a doctor will actually look at my arse will be when they're about to operate?

Yeah, that seems more understandable now that I've typed it out.

I was in my GPS collecting a prescription a few months back and a guy was in with an eye infection. He had recently moved to this country, got an eye infection so he went to the doctors and the look on his face when the receptionist just fobbed him off at every turn was something. It was unbelievable really - if you want an appointment it’s six weeks. If you want a phone appointment call at 8am tomorrow. Don’t go into hospital it’s a seven hour wait.

I couldn’t catch up with the guy after I’d been in but what he should’ve done is wait until Saturday, call NHS 24, ham up his symptoms and get an appointment at an out of hours clinic. It’s inconvenient but it’s one way of getting seen without sitting in A and E for twelve hours. 

I was trying to get a phone appointment for my Mum and the receptionist said the first one available was in 3 weeks. I said she's 94 and she might not live that long and her doctor popped round to see her the next day.

3 hours ago, ICTChris said:

From a medical standpoint, a yearly physical is a splendid idea…From an actual standpoint it sounds like with the NHS it’s cheap and unavailable, while in the U.S. it’s (potentially*) cheap and easily available. *A yearly physical is free, if you have health insurance…if you don’t, it can run hundreds.

Especially with that family background, you need to be doing, at a minimum, something to see your blood glucose (and possibly A1c) and monitor your blood pressure. Luckily, you can do most of that yourself for not terribly high costs. A basic blood pressure monitor for home use would be good, and allow you to watch how your readings are…just don’t take it during a match! Blood glucose monitoring can get expensive here, but I assume is inexpensive under the NHS, if you are prescribed a device…without  device  taking a home A1c test would potentially be a way to see if you are getting dangerously close to being diabetic.

A1c is often called the powdered sugar blood cell test, as it gives you a relative percentage of glucose in your blood on a weighted basis. The test effectively covers a three month period, due to the life cycle of red blood cells. In most versions of the tests, a reading of 6.0 of high would likely indicate diabetes, however that has to be confirmed with a glucose tolerance test. The glucose tolerance test is you going in to get a blood glucose check while fasting, you drink a measured amount of a liquid containing a set level of glucose, and you get retested after two hours to see what your level is. Generally speaking, 2 hours after consuming a measured dose of glucose, a non-diabetic should have a reading of <=100.

59 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I was in my GPS collecting a prescription a few months back and a guy was in with an eye infection. He had recently moved to this country, got an eye infection so he went to the doctors and the look on his face when the receptionist just fobbed him off at every turn was something. It was unbelievable really - if you want an appointment it’s six weeks. If you want a phone appointment call at 8am tomorrow. Don’t go into hospital it’s a seven hour wait.

I couldn’t catch up with the guy after I’d been in but what he should’ve done is wait until Saturday, call NHS 24, ham up his symptoms and get an appointment at an out of hours clinic. It’s inconvenient but it’s one way of getting seen without sitting in A and E for twelve hours. 

Alternatively...

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/scots-gp-surgery-locked-down-28241674

Before the pandemic, our surgery had a week's waiting list, but you could stagger along for an emergency appointment that afternoon if it was something that needed more urgent treatment and would probably see you in the hospital by then.

Now they only do phone appointments unless it's an emergency, and their definition of "emergency" seems to be restricted to things that they'd just send you to A&E for anyway. Bit depressing, as I think most folk thought that this would be temporary, but it seems to be the latest phase of public healthcare being run down.

Managed to rupture my achilles tendon over a month ago playing rugby.  Had surgery 3 weeks ago, currently hobbling around like a pirate on one leg.  Not going to be back playing for about a year (if at all, I'm getting old) and sitting around the house is already quite monotonous with no real routine.  Got quite a nice long scar now...
Horrible injury. My mate done his achilles about a year ago and says he'd rather just have broken his ankle. Don't think he had surgery but spent months in a moon boot and was having to inject blood thinners.

Hope you're recovery goes as smoothly as it can!

3 hours ago, BFTD said:

Before the pandemic, our surgery had a week's waiting list, but you could stagger along for an emergency appointment that afternoon if it was something that needed more urgent treatment and would probably see you in the hospital by then.

Now they only do phone appointments unless it's an emergency, and their definition of "emergency" seems to be restricted to things that they'd just send you to A&E for anyway. Bit depressing, as I think most folk thought that this would be temporary, but it seems to be the latest phase of public healthcare being run down.

I was dealing with my GP and hospital staff on a regular basis when Covid first hit and phone appointments became the norm. You could tell from their voices how pleased they were about how quickly they could go through their list of appointments over the phone, rather than all the time wasted between patients when it's face to face, and how quickly the important stuff can be relayed and checked when they don't have to discuss the weather and holidays with every fucking patient. Face to face is obviously essential occasionally, and especially when a medical issue first comes up, but I can understand them wanting to keep phone appointments going as standard while they try to catch up on the backlog.