P&B Hospital

5 minutes ago, Tynie Pecksniff said:

The majority of surgeries I know are back face to face, we have been for over a 18 months.  Its much safer and provides a more comprehensive assessment and a better consultation experience for patients.

Telephone appointments are dreadful for assessing a patient.  You need too see them as opposed to going by a set of symptoms on a phone which can be completely misleading and taken you in totally the wrong direction.  

I cannot understand why some practices are not seeing face to face.  

Every single patient is triaged by a nurse call back at my practice. I was on weekly dispense of medication and couple of times at reorder time, which is monthly as they can't be put on repeat, I asked to change fortnightly/monthly which I know only the GP can do. Receptionist insisted it needed triaged, only for the nurse to say not my decision.

In fairness you do get seen if needed but seems to be doubling the work for the nursing staff. The only time I was flat out refused an apt of any kind was mid mental health crisis stood in tears at reception asking to see someone as I wasn't sure I was safe. This was pre COVID. Told me there was absolutely no one available at all all day. 

4 hours ago, Ron Aldo said:

Horrible injury. My mate done his achilles about a year ago and says he'd rather just have broken his ankle. Don't think he had surgery but spent months in a moon boot and was having to inject blood thinners.

Hope you're recovery goes as smoothly as it can!

Yeah originally they wanted to do the conservative approach, which is wearing a boot 24/7 for nearly 3 months. It does heal on its own that way but takes bloody ages. 

They said they only really do surgery if it's a rerupture or you play sport.  Lower chance of it re-rupturing and a slightly quicker recover. I've got a few days left in the cast and then I'll be in a boot for 4 weeks but I'll be able to walk on it and they gradually bring my foot back into a neutral position. 

The good thing is I've already got a bit of  movement in my ankle and can feel my calf contracting if I gently push down so hopefully that's everything starting to heal but it's going to be anything from 9-12 months to be back playing fully. 

Just a very long and tedious rehab but I do intend to get back playing!

6 hours ago, Tynie Pecksniff said:

The majority of surgeries I know are back face to face, we have been for over a 18 months.  Its much safer and provides a more comprehensive assessment and a better consultation experience for patients.

Telephone appointments are dreadful for assessing a patient.  You need too see them as opposed to going by a set of symptoms on a phone which can be completely misleading and taken you in totally the wrong direction.  

I cannot understand why some practices are not seeing face to face.  

My initial contact with the NHS was all face to face, or worse. After all the tests, scans and diagnosis was done, and treatment started, it was much easier for me to tell the relevant practitioner on the phone how I was doing rather than going to the hospital and queuing for a face to face, and ditto if I had any questions. Just going through a thing with my mum where a combination of face to face and phone discussions has worked well, it doesn't have to be one or the other. I totally agree about initial assessments being done over the phone, if that happens it's inexcusable. 

My GP surgery used to be that you could phone any time of the day and be given an appointment. Usually said appointment would be within 2 weeks, often earlier.

Since COVID you have to call from 08.00 to try and get through. If you're lucky enough to get connected you'll get an appointment. If not, tough break and get fucked, try again tomorrow.

This garbage system means you have to be seen that day as they work on that basis. 

I have, on more than one occasion, tried to get through to the line as soon as it turns 08.00 only to get the engaged tone. I have subsequently tried to ring again and again and again. Often go well over 100 attempts before I can join the queue (other times I just get the engaged tone), and sometimes I reach the front of the queue before being told that all appointments are gone so I need to call back tomorrow.

It's a dreadful system.

3 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

I broke my shoulder 10 weeks ago, I really do not recommend breaking your shoulder. It hurts a lot & my right arm no longer works if I want to lift it. FML.

Thanks man. I thought I'd give it a go but you've convinced me otherwise.

Might try a fractured tibia; those big casts look fun.

2 hours ago, johnnydun said:

Wanking accident?

It was a serious wanking accident, but sadly not a Wanking accident. Although given I fell over a kerb in the middle of a road outside a Cricket ground, that was probably for the best. I wont make that mistake again.

8 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Amazing clip of people complaining to Blair that they have to book a doctors appointment 48 hours in advance.

It's quite remarkable how quickly people forget what they used to have.

5 hours ago, Moomintroll said:

It was a serious wanking accident, but sadly not a Wanking accident. Although given I fell over a kerb in the middle of a road outside a Cricket ground, that was probably for the best. I wont make that mistake again.

Owzat?