P&B Hospital

23 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

I was diagnosed with "Golfer's elbow" a couple of months ago. Using exercises and the occasional ibuprofen, managed to get it to calm down. 

I the midst of a mad flare up just now. Had to get Scott to push the shopping trolley the other day, even that was too much. 

You're tall aren't you?

I expect it's the strain on your connective tissue. It'll  all break down and you'll be like one of those big inflatable people outside car showrooms.

22 hours ago, scottsdad said:

I was diagnosed with "Golfer's elbow" a couple of months ago. Using exercises and the occasional ibuprofen, managed to get it to calm down. 

I the midst of a mad flare up just now. Had to get Scott to push the shopping trolley the other day, even that was too much. 

I've suffered on and off for years. Basically just a repetitive strain injury but in my experience,  having tried everything from acupuncture and chiropractic to massage and anti inflammatories,  it's just something that flares up and calms down in cycles.  I expect (hope) it settles down if / when I retire (which ain't that far away hopefully)

1 hour ago, Raidernation said:

Fucking gout flare-up since yesterday.

Christ, just hearing the word gout hurts. Had a gent I worked with who suffered from it, and it seems a right bear. Hope it subsides quickly, just the concept of crystals forming in a joint is…

On 19/07/2023 at 08:06, Billy Jean King said:

I've suffered on and off for years. Basically just a repetitive strain injury but in my experience,  having tried everything from acupuncture and chiropractic to massage and anti inflammatories,  it's just something that flares up and calms down in cycles.  I expect (hope) it settles down if / when I retire (which ain't that far away hopefully)

Can't even pick up a light bag of shopping this week. 

7 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Can't even pick up a light bag of shopping this week. 

I can relate to that. When it's like that I tend to get a sort of "electric shock" feeling that shoots down from elbow to fingers that can make me drop whatever I have in my left hand. Just tried not to use that side when it was at its worst. I'm a keen gardener and also fish and neither of those past times help in a flare up but it's driven by repetitive strain through computer use at work. Probably been worse since the pandemic driven home working rise as my home office probably isn't as ergonomic as it should be. 

There seems to be very little "help" in flare ups like you are experiencing. No doubt you have been given the same exercises and stretches but I find it best to try to rest the arm as much as possible is all that really works but it's difficult in day-to-day life. Certainly not interested in surgical intervention as I've had more than enough ops over the past decade or so.

I have huge sympathy for anyone suffering from tennis or golfers elbow, both painful and frustrating in equal measures. Had a bad case of tennis elbow a few years ago and at it's worst couldn't lift a pillow off the bed. Tried everything from massage, hot/cold therapy, ibuprofen, compression strap but rarely could I get any relief. Eventually over time it healed itself and not had any flare ups.

12 hours ago, Raidernation said:

Fucking gout flare-up since yesterday.

I am on Allipurinol for that. Works a treat, not had it since I got put on the tablets about 8 years ago.

Was x-rayed the other week and have now been diagnosed with osteoarthritis in 7 fingers. No cure, just been told to take the same pain killers I've been taking for ages because of it, which don't help a bit anyway. Magic.

1 hour ago, Musketeer Gripweed said:

I am on Allipurinol for that. Works a treat, not had it since I got put on the tablets about 8 years ago.

Was x-rayed the other week and have now been diagnosed with osteoarthritis in 7 fingers. No cure, just been told to take the same pain killers I've been taking for ages because of it, which don't help a bit anyway. Magic.

You've got your other hand though.

4 hours ago, Raithie said:

I have huge sympathy for anyone suffering from tennis or golfers elbow, both painful and frustrating in equal measures. Had a bad case of tennis elbow a few years ago and at it's worst couldn't lift a pillow off the bed. Tried everything from massage, hot/cold therapy, ibuprofen, compression strap but rarely could I get any relief. Eventually over time it healed itself and not had any flare ups.

Before suffering from this, I would have read a post like this and thought there was a wee touch of exaggeration going on. No longer. 

Just drove to the shop and back. Pretty much one handed the whole way. My right arm is just useless today. 

3 hours ago, Musketeer Gripweed said:

I can’t take the Alupirinol, makes me violently I’ll (as do most NSAIDs)

I take indomthecin which makes me slightly dizzy for about an hour after taking it but does work.

Bizarrely I get flare ups in weird joints like my fingers, left wrist, ankle and only rarely in my toes. Also only get them when I’m not drinking 🤷🏻‍♂️

25 minutes ago, Raidernation said:

I take indomthecin which makes me slightly dizzy for about an hour after taking it but does work.

Bizarrely I get flare ups in weird joints like my fingers, left wrist, ankle and only rarely in my toes. Also only get them when I’m not drinking 

Medicinal purposes, try rubbing alcohol in! (Don't)

54 minutes ago, Raidernation said:

Bizarrely I get flare ups in weird joints like my fingers, left wrist, ankle and only rarely in my toes. Also only get them when I’m not drinking 🤷🏻‍♂️

Relative with NSAID sensitivity takes meloxicam safely, seems to have a less systemic side effect profile, but perhaps not quite as suited to gout treatment. Regardless, glad you have something effective.

Walked out of the shower earlier to notice splatters of blood on my towel.  "Hmmm, where's that from?" I asked myself.  I then noticed my ankle caked in blood too.  "F*** sake, what's happened here?!".  Wiped it all away, but no evidence of a cut underneath.  

I started looking elsewhere, eventually spotting blood on my dressing gown too, and then stream of blood down my inner thigh.  I then looked further up.  Argh!!! my red-caked bawbag was gushing blood!  A barely-discernible 'cut' was the culprit, presumably triggered by the hot shower, but would it stop?  Nope.  5 mins of pressure on it would surely stop the bleeding? Absolutely not.  Just as bad as it was.

You'd have thought I'd had something amputated, in a CSI set.  Bog roll absolutely useless, so plaster applied to avoid 'Death By Bawbag' on a coroner's report.  An unwanted 'waxing' to look forward to later.  Wish me luck.

eta: I was late for a meeting in town because of this drama.  Thankfully nobody asked why.

Edited by Hedgecutter