Kieran Tierney

3 hours ago, dundeefc1783 said:

Good news that he hasn't played a full 90 minutes for his club since the beginning of November and his last 90 minutes was for Scotland in November. And now with Arsenal being out of the FA cup it's unlikely he will start another game until March unless Zinchenko is injured/suspended etc. You can and will butter that up whatever way you want but that's not good news for Scotland. 

He's still getting minutes over that time, starting games and off the bench. Do you think him playing every match and getting recurring injuries is better?

I expect he will start before March even if Zinchenko stays fully fit but let's see.

Regardless, it seems an absolute certainty he will be at Arsenal until the end of the season where he may well end up with a league winners medal.

And given his contribution in the first half of the season it will be well earned. He's a respected member of the first team who Arteta trusts, and his game time has been reduced not due to poor performances but due to a tactical change in the team.

4 minutes ago, Satoshi said:

He's still getting minutes over that time, starting games and off the bench. Do you think him playing every match and getting recurring injuries is better?

I expect he will start before March even if Zinchenko stays fully fit but let's see.

Regardless, it seems an absolute certainty he will be at Arsenal until the end of the season where he may well end up with a league winners medal.

And given his contribution in the first half of the season it will be well earned. He's a respected member of the first team who Arteta trusts, and his game time has been reduced not due to poor performances but due to a tactical change in the team.

As I said butter it up whichever way you like. The simple fact is his game time is disappointing and his performances recently imo are concerning. When he is involved he looks like he is terrified of making a mistake and does not look comfortable in the slightest with how he is being asking to play. He is also regularly the first man sacrificed on the rare occasions he starts. 

I would much rather he started the league games and was benched/rested for the cup games as think that would be far more beneficial for Scotland than what's happening currently. 

27 minutes ago, dundeefc1783 said:

As I said butter it up whichever way you like. The simple fact is his game time is disappointing and his performances recently imo are concerning. When he is involved he looks like he is terrified of making a mistake and does not look comfortable in the slightest with how he is being asking to play. He is also regularly the first man sacrificed on the rare occasions he starts. 

I would much rather he started the league games and was benched/rested for the cup games as think that would be far more beneficial for Scotland than what's happening currently. 

He's playing so badly that he is put up for sale or dropped to the reserves?

Er, no, he keeps playing.

Since September 11th he has played in 18 of 21 matches across all competitions.

You seem far more concerned about his performances that Arteta does. If he wasn't good enough, he wouldn't start. Most Arsenal players don't make as many appearances as Tierney does. He's trusted to start in certain games, and when he doesn't start he almost always comes off the bench.

You didn't answer my question if you would rather he played more frequently, and suffered recurring injuries as he has done for most of his career.

You also surely agree it's a near certainty he will stay at Arsenal in this window?

So you seem concerned, but the player himself and his manager do not.

1 hour ago, Satoshi said:

He's playing so badly that he is put up for sale or dropped to the reserves?

Er, no, he keeps playing.

Since September 11th he has played in 18 of 21 matches across all competitions.

You seem far more concerned about his performances that Arteta does. If he wasn't good enough, he wouldn't start. Most Arsenal players don't make as many appearances as Tierney does. He's trusted to start in certain games, and when he doesn't start he almost always comes off the bench.

You didn't answer my question if you would rather he played more frequently, and suffered recurring injuries as he has done for most of his career.

You also surely agree it's a near certainty he will stay at Arsenal in this window?

So you seem concerned, but the player himself and his manager do not.

Who has said otherwise? He’s obviously going to stay in this window. It doesn’t change that he clearly isn’t first choice anymore.

You can rattle on about number of appearances all you like while ignoring any context, because that’s your thing, but in the league games where Arsenal play their first team he’s a sub. His starts now are almost all in cup games where they play heavily rotated sides and even then he doesn’t complete the 90 minutes more often than not.

And how would you know that the player isn’t concerned? If he isn’t disappointed about not being first choice any more there’s something wrong.

56 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Who has said otherwise? He’s obviously going to stay in this window. It doesn’t change that he clearly isn’t first choice anymore.

You can rattle on about number of appearances all you like while ignoring any context, because that’s your thing, but in the league games where Arsenal play their first team he’s a sub. His starts now are almost all in cup games where they play heavily rotated sides and even then he doesn’t complete the 90 minutes more often than not.

And how would you know that the player isn’t concerned? If he isn’t disappointed about not being first choice any more there’s something wrong.

Took the words right out of my mouth. 

So far this season he is averaging 24 minutes per game in the league.

Not a chance a player of his calibre is happy with such limited league appearances. 

Just now, dundeefc1783 said:

Took the words right out of my mouth. 

So far this season he is averaging 24 minutes per game in the league.

Not a chance a player of his calibre is happy with such limited league appearances. 

And thats maybe a concern if it comes to moving clubs in the summer.

They aren't going to be looking at how many matches he has been involved in, they will look at minutes on the pitch.

I agree Newcastle could be a good shout for him as well. Their a club on the up and he would be fantastic for them.

He just needs to sign for a team who play normal full backs rather than this inverted stuff. He isn’t really suited to that role, which surprised me as I thought he’d adapt to anything really. Still don’t think there’s many better out and out left backs than him, if any. 

Edited by Tartan Dave

Just now, Tartan Dave said:

He just needs to sign for a team who play normal full backs rather than this inverted stuff. He isn’t really suited to that role, which surprised me as I thought he’d adapt to anything really. Still don’t think there’s many better out and out left backs than him, if any. 

I dont disagree when hes on top form, but as @dundeefc1783

was saying, he doesn't look quite as confident at the moment. He's like any player, if he's constantly getting benched and hooked during games that's going to happen.

But apparently this situation is "great" for scotland

16 hours ago, eez-eh said:

Glad we agree he is absolutely certain to stay in this window. And yes, he isn't first choice for league matches (that's obvious from the data) but he will remain first choice for Scotland, as well as being one of our best palyers.

I think Tierneys response to not being first choice is why he's had such a terrific career, he works hard in training, tries to do what the manager wants and that's why he still plays in 85% of matches. He's well respected by the manager, fans and other players.

Lesser players or people would bitch or moan, but Tierney just gets on with it.

Good for him, he will certainly earn his league winners medal if Arsenal do win the league and will have his pick of teams after that.

The point that is consistently ignored but vitally important - Tierney has demonstrated that he can't play 90 minutes 60 times a season. He was played too much as a youngster and had developed chronic injury issues as a result. Him playing 6 games in a row then out for 4 months is hardly better than appearing in 85% of matches. Arsenal are probably consciously managing his minutes, in addition to changing their tactics to an inverted full back system.

This could well be great news for Tierneys career, both international and with his club. Playing constantly and being done by 28 would have been disastrous.

I'll trust the Arsenal staff on this one ahead of people on the internet. They know what's best for him, his manager rates him, and the player appears to be consistently living up to his reputation as a model professional. 

28 minutes ago, Satoshi said:

Glad we agree he is absolutely certain to stay in this window. And yes, he isn't first choice for league matches (that's obvious from the data) but he will remain first choice for Scotland, as well as being one of our best palyers.

I think Tierneys response to not being first choice is why he's had such a terrific career, he works hard in training, tries to do what the manager wants and that's why he still plays in 85% of matches. He's well respected by the manager, fans and other players.

Good for him, he will certainly earn his league winners medal if Arsenal do win the league and will have his pick of teams after that.

The point that is consistently ignored but vitally important - Tierney has demonstrated that he can't play 90 minutes 60 times a season. He was played too much as a youngster and had developed chronic injury issues as a result. Him playing 6 games in a row then out for 4 months is hardly better than appearing in 85% of matches. Arsenal are probably consciously managing his minutes, in addition to changing their tactics to an inverted full back system.

This could well be great news for Tierneys career, both international and with his club. Playing constantly and being done by 28 would have been disastrous.

I'll trust the Arsenal staff on this one ahead of people on the internet. They know what's best for him, his manager rates him, and the player appears to be consistently living up to his reputation as a model professional. 

What is it exactly that you’re trusting the Arsenal staff on ahead of people on the internet?

I haven’t seen anyone on here clamouring for him to play 90 minutes 60 times a season. Managing his minutes is sensible but it would be better if his minutes were coming in important matches as opposed to mostly in the cup games that Arsenal don’t care about.

You appear to actually agree with that but still can’t help yourself from continually responding with a load of verbal diarrhoea and making blindingly obvious statements that no one has actually disagreed with, just so you can come back in a few months time to tell everyone how right you got things.

1 hour ago, Satoshi said:

Arsenal are not managing his minutes. They are changing tactics and prefer Zinchenko as an inverted fullback.

It would be better for Tierney to leave in the summer. He’ll be a PL winner and he can move on to a team where his skills suit their style of play. I’ve heard Newcastle mentioned but not sure how true that is.

I do think he’ll move, he doesn’t strike me as a player happy to be a bench option, even in a big club. The Champions league might be a draw but I’m not sure how much game time he’ll get given he’s not really able to do what Zinchenko does.

2 hours ago, eez-eh said:

What is it exactly that you’re trusting the Arsenal staff on ahead of people on the internet?

I haven’t seen anyone on here clamouring for him to play 90 minutes 60 times a season. Managing his minutes is sensible but it would be better if his minutes were coming in important matches as opposed to mostly in the cup games that Arsenal don’t care about.

You appear to actually agree with that but still can’t help yourself from continually responding with a load of verbal diarrhoea and making blindingly obvious statements that no one has actually disagreed with, just so you can come back in a few months time to tell everyone how right you got things.

Of course it would be better if he was starting league matches (not that Arsenal don't care about the cup) but regardless he is still getting more than enough minutes to stay match fit to be fresh as a key player for Scotland. It's better than Arsenal playing him every minute, that's for sure.

And I'm agreeing with the arsenal staff who may be managing his minutes for fitness reasons (in addition to tactical reasons which I already covered).

There's not much you seem to disagree with me on, so we will leave it there. Guess I am just more of a glass 85% full than 15% empty kind of guy.

59 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

Arsenal are not managing his minutes. They are changing tactics and prefer Zinchenko as an inverted fullback.

It would be better for Tierney to leave in the summer. He’ll be a PL winner and he can move on to a team where his skills suit their style of play. I’ve heard Newcastle mentioned but not sure how true that is.

I do think he’ll move, he doesn’t strike me as a player happy to be a bench option, even in a big club. The Champions league might be a draw but I’m not sure how much game time he’ll get given he’s not really able to do what Zinchenko does.

I also expect he will leave in the summer (Arsenal would love to keep him but he will probably push for the move).

Good for him, as I said he's widely respected throughout Arsenal and when he doesn't start he usually comes off the bench because the manager trusts him to defend expertly and close out games. He will get some send off from the fans, still a very popular player with them.

• 2 weeks later...