Kieran Tierney

It’s interesting that on social media there seems to be more suggestion the fans want to see Arteta change it and bring him in either instead of Zinchenko or moving Zinchenko to midfield and playing them both.

Can’t see it, Arteta seems very fixed on his tactics but it’s interesting that they still rate him and don’t see him as a third choice as Arteta seems to.

38 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

It’s interesting that on social media there seems to be more suggestion the fans want to see Arteta change it and bring him in either instead of Zinchenko or moving Zinchenko to midfield and playing them both.

Can’t see it, Arteta seems very fixed on his tactics but it’s interesting that they still rate him and don’t see him as a third choice as Arteta seems to.

Yeah just actually read that. The only issue is if he brings Tierney back in and continues with this inverted full back it won't work as Tierney just doesn't seem suited to it. 

But a lot of fans saying they should be looking to get Tierney down the line getting crosses in and supporting Martinelli particularly against teams that sit in.  Seems that with Zinchenko constantly moving inside it's leaving Martinelli very isolated. 

However agree the Arteta seems stubborn and won't change it. 

I've actually been surprised that he hasn't trusted Tierney as a sort of plan B in those situations. I understand keeping the same system for every game, especially when it's been so successful, but Arteta's previously influenced a game by allowing White to move forward more, so I thought it might have been an option on the left too. 

9 hours ago, Binos said:

Aye not the manager though 

Probably shouldn't have given him that new contract and played him throughout his Arsenal career, then.

Their drop in form last season came when he got injured.

Will expect to see him more starts and sub appearances as the season goes on.

He's a terrific player, no doubt Arsenal want to keep a hold of him.

17 hours ago, accies1874 said:

I've actually been surprised that he hasn't trusted Tierney as a sort of plan B in those situations. I understand keeping the same system for every game, especially when it's been so successful, but Arteta's previously influenced a game by allowing White to move forward more, so I thought it might have been an option on the left too. 

Yeah I have too. I can actually maybe see him turning it around, if they keep losing out on points against more counter-attacking or low block teams then I think Arteta might start bringing him back in more, to try an mix things up a bit -  I get the sense that teams have figured out how to play against their inverted left back/extra midfielder setup now. Arteta does seem slow to adapt though. 

Whether it would be enough to keep him at Arsenal I don’t know. I do think they’d be happy enough to keep him, for what he does (as traditional LB) he’s one of the best at it. They don’t really use that anymore though and even if he starts getting games against Everton, Brentford etc, as a player surely you want to have the chance to be first choice for all the games, and start big matches, not be a second option. I could still see him leaving in the summer.

16 hours ago, Satoshi said:

Probably shouldn't have given him that new contract and played him throughout his Arsenal career, then.

A fantastic player,  agreed 

Who they don't play,  11 minutes in their last 6 games 

16 hours ago, Satoshi said:

Two 90 mins in league this season 

Last one on 18 Sept 

He should be handing a transfer request 

Edited by Binos

Probably backs himself more than you do. If he wants to leave Arsenal would do so reluctantly, and probably sell him for a decent profit.

There's no evidence him being dropped is due to performance or training, it's rather a tactical switch.

As I posted earlier on this thread, his first team minutes were 10th for outfield players when I checked a few months ago and he had played all but one league game at that point.

Also Tierney is far too professional and far too much of a team player to risk his clubs best ever season but handing in a (thoroughly pointless) transfer request in February. So we can put that in a list of things that 100% won't happen, probably ever, but certainly not before the season ends.

Edited by Satoshi

8 hours ago, Satoshi said:

As I posted earlier on this thread, his first team minutes were 10th for outfield players when I checked a few months ago and he had played all but one league game at that point.

This has changed significantly this year. He has only played 11 minutes in 5 games and that was when they were already pumping Spurs. Arsenal have struggled last couple of games but he still didn't get on.

Obviously pointless asking for a transfer request now but he definitely should be in the summer.

11 minutes ago, Chewing Taffies said:

This has changed significantly this year. He has only played 11 minutes in 5 games and that was when they were already pumping Spurs. Arsenal have struggled last couple of games but he still didn't get on.

Obviously pointless asking for a transfer request now but he definitely should be in the summer.

I'm willing to make a charity bet he won't be asking for a transfer request.

Not in suiting with is reputation as a model professional.

If he wants to leave Arsenal you would expect they would let him, given what an excellent servant he has been. 

2 minutes ago, Satoshi said:

I'm willing to make a charity bet he won't be asking for a transfer request.

Not in suiting with is reputation as a model professional.

If he wants to leave Arsenal you would expect they would let him, given what an excellent servant he has been. 

I didn't say he will. I said he should. Unless he is happy to be a bit part player.

Feel like Arteta almost feels like he's been let down by Tierney's injury issues last year leaving them short in a crucial part of the season. Which would be pretty harsh.

Think he will definitely be sold in the summer. They have Nuno Tavares coming back from a good loan spell at Marseille, and Tomiyasu who can play LB as well. The question is where does he go? Would Newcastle take him over Dan Burn? Can't see too many other options in England for him in England - not the type of profile player for Man City, Chelsea/Spurs/Utd/Pool stocked for left back and he's too good to be playing for midtable shite like Crystal Palace. Italy next?

Tierney is missing out quite simply because of how well Zinchenko is doing. They're different types of players, Zinchenko has a phenomenal ability to link the play from left back, he's a much more technically capable player than Tierney.

Tierney's still the same player that he was and will excel in a team that plays in a way more fitting with his capabilities. I expect he'll go in the summer.

On 14/02/2023 at 13:34, thruthenight said:

Tierney is missing out quite simply because of how well Zinchenko is doing. They're different types of players, Zinchenko has a phenomenal ability to link the play from left back, he's a much more technically capable player than Tierney.

Tierney's still the same player that he was and will excel in a team that plays in a way more fitting with his capabilities. I expect he'll go in the summer.

Agreed. The fact Arteta seems to have adopted Peps style of inverted fullbacks means it’s a stick on for Zinchenko to be number 1 left back.

Would much prefer to see Tierney down that left side rather than receiving the ball in the middle of the park.