Kieran Tierney

I'd love to see him play abroad, Italy or Spain he would develop in so many ways. 

He'll end up at Newcastle, its close to home, they will pay the going rate and ultimately he is a player who has consistent injuries.

Athletic article on Tierney:

Good to see he's sensible, grounded and professional as I have been posting throughout the year.

Some of the self hating Scot mentality we have seen on this thread would be to cry non stop, invent statistics to convince himself he's fourth choice and contiunally throw his toys out the pram.

His attitude is why Tierney is a multi millionaire playing at the elite level. Those attacking him non stop for not playing every game will probably be losers, their mentality of focusing on (and creating) negatives will hold them back in any aspect of their life.

Left-back Kieran Tierney has said his Arsenal future is not up to him but that he is happy at the north London club.

The 26-year-old has been a key player for the Premier League side since his arrival from Celtic in 2019, but saw his game time reduced during the previous campaign following the arrival of Oleksandr Zinchenko from Manchester City. He has since been linked with a move to Newcastle United.

Tierney did, however, still feature in 36 matches across all competitions last season and says he will always remain committed every time he plays for Mikel Arteta’s side.

He said: “It’s not really up to me (my future). I’m happy, I’m working hard every day and getting minutes. I’m just trying to do as well as I can.

“No (I have not had conversations with Arteta).

“You can’t play every single game, every single season, every single year. I don’t expect that and I still made a lot of appearances last year.

“I was ready every game and working 100 per cent. I think everyone in there would agree with that, that I never give less than that whether I’m playing or not.

“In the games I did play I tried to do my best for the team. I came off the bench a lot last season, whether that was to see games out or help get a goal.”

Arsenal have been busy so far in this summer’s transfer market following the arrivals of Kai Havertz, Jurrien Timber and Declan Rice.

Rice, a £105million signing from West Ham United, has already settled in with his new team-mates, according to Tierney.

“Declan actually said the other day he feels like he’s been here for so long,” he said. “It’s such a close group, great team-mates, great staff so I think they’re all loving it (the new players).

“We’ve had a few songs. Declan gave us Ice, Ice Baby as he always does.

“They’ve integrated really well and we’ve done team activities together. It’s been just what the new boys needed.”

Arsenal next play Barcelona at SoFi Stadium, California on July 27 as part of their pre-season tour across the U.S following a 2-0 defeat to Manchester United in New Jersey.

I don’t think another season at Arsenal is the worst idea for KT. He can be part of an exciting team with some top class players, decent chance to win silverware, pocket £110k per week, play some games (but not all) and crucially, keep his body fit and well rested for the euros safe in the knowledge that not being an automatic pick for Arsenal doesn’t affect his standing in the national team.

He will be 27 years old and have two years left on his contract next summer so that would seem like a natural time to move on unless he can play his way back into Arteta’s plans and earn a new contract. 

On 24/07/2023 at 02:45, Satoshi said:

Athletic article on Tierney:

Good to see he's sensible, grounded and professional as I have been posting throughout the year.

Some of the self hating Scot mentality we have seen on this thread would be to cry non stop, invent statistics to convince himself he's fourth choice and contiunally throw his toys out the pram.

His attitude is why Tierney is a multi millionaire playing at the elite level. Those attacking him non stop for not playing every game will probably be losers, their mentality of focusing on (and creating) negatives will hold them back in any aspect of their life.

Left-back Kieran Tierney has said his Arsenal future is not up to him but that he is happy at the north London club.

The 26-year-old has been a key player for the Premier League side since his arrival from Celtic in 2019, but saw his game time reduced during the previous campaign following the arrival of Oleksandr Zinchenko from Manchester City. He has since been linked with a move to Newcastle United.

Tierney did, however, still feature in 36 matches across all competitions last season and says he will always remain committed every time he plays for Mikel Arteta’s side.

He said: “It’s not really up to me (my future). I’m happy, I’m working hard every day and getting minutes. I’m just trying to do as well as I can.

“No (I have not had conversations with Arteta).

“You can’t play every single game, every single season, every single year. I don’t expect that and I still made a lot of appearances last year.

“I was ready every game and working 100 per cent. I think everyone in there would agree with that, that I never give less than that whether I’m playing or not.

“In the games I did play I tried to do my best for the team. I came off the bench a lot last season, whether that was to see games out or help get a goal.”

Arsenal have been busy so far in this summer’s transfer market following the arrivals of Kai Havertz, Jurrien Timber and Declan Rice.

Rice, a £105million signing from West Ham United, has already settled in with his new team-mates, according to Tierney.

“Declan actually said the other day he feels like he’s been here for so long,” he said. “It’s such a close group, great team-mates, great staff so I think they’re all loving it (the new players).

“We’ve had a few songs. Declan gave us Ice, Ice Baby as he always does.

“They’ve integrated really well and we’ve done team activities together. It’s been just what the new boys needed.”

Arsenal next play Barcelona at SoFi Stadium, California on July 27 as part of their pre-season tour across the U.S following a 2-0 defeat to Manchester United in New Jersey.

Am I being a dummy? Why was this post downvoted? Is it a made up interview dialogue? Is it because Satoshi rubs everyone up the wrong way?

Admittedly I’ve had a couple of wines, but seems to me (if true) that Tierney is acting’s like a mature player who wants to play more but understands the current managers tactics. I’m confused. 

3 hours ago, Brother Blades said:

Am I being a dummy? Why was this post downvoted? Is it a made up interview dialogue? Is it because Satoshi rubs everyone up the wrong way?

Admittedly I’ve had a couple of wines, but seems to me (if true) that Tierney is acting’s like a mature player who wants to play more but understands the current managers tactics. I’m confused. 

It's the made up nonsense and snarkiness of "self-hating scots" and the wee guy behaviour of "as I've said all along" type rubbish. It's been a long time schtick of his (I have him on ignore) and him being a wee dick is probably why he gets so many reds.

9 minutes ago, velo army said:

It's the made up nonsense and snarkiness of "self-hating scots" and the wee guy behaviour of "as I've said all along" type rubbish. It's been a long time schtick of his (I have him on ignore) and him being a wee dick is probably why he gets so many reds.

Yep. Basically that.

I’d actually be quite disappointed if he really believed that stuff he’s said in the article and isn’t just trying to sound professional. I’m sure players don’t expect to play every game but they ought to expect to play some games, Arteta basically benched him and played every other option ahead of him.

He is still doing it as well, pre-season Zinchenko hasn’t been fit and there’s been 3 players played ahead of him. He’d be crazy if he trusts Arteta to give him many games during the season. 

5th choice? that's a bit dramatic I think - this isn't the tabloids. I'm undecided about how big a deal starting games is nowadays. In my view so long as KT is playing an important part in the Arsenal team even if it's predominantly as a substitute then I still think there are positive aspects to come from that, same with Scott McTominay at Man United. 

Edited by 2426255

1 minute ago, 2426255 said:

5th choice? that's a bit dramatic I think - this isn't the tabloids. I'm undecided about how big a deal starting games is nowadays. In my view so long as KT is playing an important part in the Arsenal team even if it's predominantly as a substitute then I still think there are positive aspects to come from that, same with Scott McTominay at Man United. 

I get what you are saying an maybe I'm just a bit old fashioned but I do find Arteta's selections a bit strange. 

Granted I know that he has played a decent amount of minutes this pre season but is yet to start a game. What I find strange is that three different players have started before him and none of these players are natural left backs. And that's with Zinchenko still to come back into it.

Perhaps he is just experimenting with it but something to me just doesn't seem right with Arteta in regards to Tierney. I just don't see him being anything more than a bit part player. 

Does that benefit him long term for Scotland? I don't know it doesn't seem to have impacted him so far. 

2 hours ago, Jambomo said:

I’m sure players don’t expect to play every game but they ought to expect to play some games, Arteta basically benched him and played every other option ahead of him.

He still played 36 games for Arsenal last season, albeit only starting 15. It's not like he wasn't getting on the park at all.

I hope he leaves. Too good a player to be relegated to Rob Holding status - i.e getting on the pitch for 5 minutes to defend a lead.

Still find it quite strange that Arteta has been chucking the likes of Xhaka, Kiwior, Tomiyasu at left-back over Tierney. Fair enough, Tierney's playstyle might not be Arteta's ideal profile for a full-back. But considering that Tierney was one of the few Arsenal players to be able to claim they played at a very good standard in the banter years of 2018-2022, if I were in Tierney's shoes I'd find it quite insulting and unfair that he's not being given a proper chance to learn the Arteta left-back role.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

He still played 36 games for Arsenal last season, albeit only starting 15. It's not like he wasn't getting on the park at all.

15 games is nothing in a season where they were in the Europa league, all the cup competitions? It would be crazy if he was genuinely satisfied with that. 

22 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

I hope he leaves. Too good a player to be relegated to Rob Holding status - i.e getting on the pitch for 5 minutes to defend a lead.

Still find it quite strange that Arteta has been chucking the likes of Xhaka, Kiwior, Tomiyasu at left-back over Tierney. Fair enough, Tierney's playstyle might not be Arteta's ideal profile for a full-back. But considering that Tierney was one of the few Arsenal players to be able to claim they played at a very good standard in the banter years of 2018-2022, if I were in Tierney's shoes I'd find it quite insulting and unfair that he's not being given a proper chance to learn the Arteta left-back role.

I agree with this. It’s not just lack of game time but that Arteta’s management of the team in that position is just bizarre. I’m not saying that Tierney is amazing and can do no wrong or anything but it’s like Arteta will play anyone but him if he can.

It’s not as thought Tierney has been dreadful when he’s played either, he’s generally been excellent when he’s allowed to play his own game.