Kieran Tierney

On 15/06/2019 at 11:07, Senor Bairn said:

:lol:

John Collins interview in paper today

Saying problem with Tierney is he always tries to play through niggling injuries cause he just loves playing

He certainly does that, for Celtic

But not for Scotland

On 07/06/2019 at 15:54, gannonball said:

I would like to see him stay for the 10 in a row charge. He only turned 22 a couple of days ago so he will still be young enough then. After some more European football and intentional football too I think he could feasibly join a team that is a champions league regular. He’s already proven to be pretty rock solid at that level.

I have no idea why any of them, Tierney, Forrest, McGregor are staying

What have they got left to prove

Do they not want more money

Do they not want to play against better players and better teams

It would be nice if more Scottish players (especially the Celtic contingent) did move down south or abroad to test themselves rather than staying in their comfort zone.

That said, it’s hardly as easy a decision to make as some of the armchair pundits make it out to be. These guys are already on a very good wage, playing regularly, are settled and have friends, family and partners here. It isn’t always just a case of wanting to challenge your abilities as a footballer - there’s other stuff to take into consideration and I don’t think it’s really fair to make them all out to be shitebags for not moving abroad.

7 hours ago, eez-eh said:

It would be nice if more Scottish players (especially the Celtic contingent) did move down south or abroad to test themselves rather than staying in their comfort zone.

That said, it’s hardly as easy a decision to make as some of the armchair pundits make it out to be. These guys are already on a very good wage, playing regularly, are settled and have friends, family and partners here. It isn’t always just a case of wanting to challenge your abilities as a footballer - there’s other stuff to take into consideration and I don’t think it’s really fair to make them all out to be shitebags for not moving abroad.

In every other league players seem to find it an easy decision

There will be some fun mental gymnastics to be had explaining why its fine for them and their careers to stay at Celtic, but its not fine for David Turnbull to tell them to GTF.

11 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
9 hours ago, Binos said:

There will be some fun mental gymnastics to be had explaining why its fine for them and their careers to stay at Celtic, but its not fine for David Turnbull to tell them to GTF.

Way back the players always used to leave

Then a Turnbull would come in to replace them, do a couple of years and he would leave etc etc

10 hours ago, Binos said:

Tierney 'cos he pure loves the Sellick, Forrest because he's only recently been anywhere near good enough to even think about a move, and McGregor probably because he's been there, done that and is coming to the end of his career.

9 hours ago, eez-eh said:

And all this.  It's easy to look from the outside and talk about what a player should do, but earning a very, very comfortable wage isn't going to make all the things that affect normal people go away.  You hear all the time about players who come up to a club while leaving their families at "home".  Sure, they'll be earning great money, but it sounds like an utterly joyless way to live.  Plenty will do it, of course, and a lot will get on fine with it, but it's not beyond the realms of possibility that others have a real problem with that.  There's far more to it than just football.

Of course, it could just be that Tierney is a shitebag who doesn't want to be tested, but I expect it's far more complicated for him and many others.

1 hour ago, forameus said:

Tierney 'cos he pure loves the Sellick, Forrest because he's only recently been anywhere near good enough to even think about a move, and McGregor probably because he's been there, done that and is coming to the end of his career.

And all this.  It's easy to look from the outside and talk about what a player should do, but earning a very, very comfortable wage isn't going to make all the things that affect normal people go away.  You hear all the time about players who come up to a club while leaving their families at "home".  Sure, they'll be earning great money, but it sounds like an utterly joyless way to live.  Plenty will do it, of course, and a lot will get on fine with it, but it's not beyond the realms of possibility that others have a real problem with that.  There's far more to it than just football.

Of course, it could just be that Tierney is a shitebag who doesn't want to be tested, but I expect it's far more complicated for him and many others.

Eh? McGregor is only 26.

10 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

Eh? McGregor is only 26.

Well, I've made an arse of that, haven't I?  I was thinking of McGregor, Shagger, not McGregor, Callum.  Which I should have realised in the context of Forrest and Tierney.

49 minutes ago, forameus said:

Well, I've made an arse of that, haven't I?  I was thinking of McGregor, Shagger, not McGregor, Callum.  Which I should have realised in the context of Forrest and Tierney.

Easy done! After responding initially I thought you might have been thinking of Scott Brown rather than McGregor.

1 hour ago, Ron Aldo said:

Easy done! After responding initially I thought you might have been thinking of Scott Brown rather than McGregor.

scott brown another great example

why on earth did he not leave years back

On 29/05/2019 at 10:39, Nightmare said:

He isn’t a right back, but I don’t think it’s unfair to say he’d probably fare better for us there than any from our choice of natural RBs.

I love Stephen O’Donnell and think he’s a good player, but I’d rather have Tierney start at RB for us than him.

Have you watched Tierney play there for Scotland? Horrible.

35 minutes ago, Binos said:

scott brown another great example

why on earth did he not leave years back

Because he's a shitebag.

Scott Brown was probably aware he lacked the pace, and power, to make it at a higher level. He either wins trophies at Celtic, or goes to a dross EPL side who dont win anything, and theres no chance a foreign side goes for him.

His "performances" in the CL, helpfully highlight flaws that aren't exposed in a poorer domestic setting.

Tierney doesnt have those problems, so far, so could end up at a trophy challenging side anywhere in Europe. Valencia would be a cracking fit once they sell Gaya, but that's not happening.

16 hours ago, Binos said:

They've probably been brainwashed into believing Celtic are the be all and end all.  Guys like Armstrong, someone who appears to have some brain cells and isn't a Celtic youth product, saw an opportunity to move to the PL and took it.

10 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

The guy is 22 and loves what he's doing, not sure why people are so keen to judge the guy's life choices.

It's just that in similar leagues, Belgium etc, Holland even. The players almost always move on

Edited by Binos

10 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Where’s the fun in that?

Youre going soft m8.

Maybe because I'm spending my Monday afternoon in an office on P&B, wishing I could've chosen any other career I didn't feel like passing judgement on a very wealthy footballer was apt.

17 hours ago, Binos said:

I agree with this post but I also think it is extremely hypocritical. Players get slaughtered for being mercenaries who go elsewhere for big money with no chance of winning anything. I can understand why the three players mentioned might not be fussed with a move elsewhere. They are Celtic fans, they are earning 15/20k odds a week if not more, they are winning things which will give them something to look back on later, and they get the chance to play against better players and teams when they get their arses felt in the group stages of European competition.

Some folk might be motivated by earning more, or trying something outside their comfort zone, or seeing how far they can go, others are content with being incredibly jammy(Playing for the team you supported, earning a fortune, winning cups, fan adoration) and enjoying what they already have.

Edited by Ross.

1 hour ago, Ross. said:

I agree with this post but I also think it is extremely hypocritical. Players get slaughtered for being mercenaries who go elsewhere for big money with no chance of winning anything. I can understand why the three players mentioned might not be fussed with a move elsewhere. They are Celtic fans, they are earning 15/20k odds a week if not more, they are winning things which will give them something to look back on later, and they get the chance to play against better players and teams when they get their arses felt in the group stages of European competition.

Some folk might be motivated by earning more, or trying something outside their comfort zone, or seeing how far they can go, others are content with being incredibly jammy(Playing for the team you supported, earning a fortune, winning cups, fan adoration) and enjoying what they already have.

It would be hypocritical if I had slated people for being mercenaries

Which I haven't