Kieran Tierney

35 minutes ago, Jaggy Snake said:

No one claimed Tierney wasn't injured.

The "zoomers" said he should have had the surgery weeks ago (months even), instead of Celtic idiotically trying to keep him ticking over until the cup final. They were proven right today, not wrong.

Playing through a hernia is one of the more common problems a player can get ffs. Contrary to belief it first materialised in February so attempting to play on until the end of the season is hardly out of the ordinary. Brown did the same years ago iirc. It got to the point though where he couldn’t get effect a game more than his back up so he’s been pulled. 

Personally I agree he should have had an op sooner but given we are going for a historic treble treble it was understandable. 

5 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Playing through a hernia is one of the more common problems a player can get ffs. Contrary to belief it first materialised in February so attempting to play on until the end of the season is hardly out of the ordinary. Brown did the same years ago iirc. It got to the point though where he couldn’t get effect a game more than his back up so he’s been pulled. 

Personally I agree he should have had an op sooner but given we are going for a historic treble treble it was understandable. 

I have no problem with Celtic trying to keep him going for a while, and some players (as you say) have managed to play through similar injuries.

However, it's been clear well before now that it wasn't working because 1) when Tierney was playing he was a shadow of his normal self and, 2) he's still barely been able to play.

I'm not claiming he should have had the surgery in February but Celtic should have called it quits by April and had the op then, rather than stringing it out this long.

ETA: I'm still not saying he then would have been able to return for the Scotland games. They're not really the point, imo.

Edited by Jaggy Snake

2 hours ago, Jaggy Snake said:

I have no problem with Celtic trying to keep him going for a while, and some players (as you say) have managed to play through similar injuries.

However, it's been clear well before now that it wasn't working because 1) when Tierney was playing he was a shadow of his normal self and, 2) he's still barely been able to play.

I'm not claiming he should have had the surgery in February but Celtic should have called it quits by April and had the op then, rather than stringing it out this long.

ETA: I'm still not saying he then would have been able to return for the Scotland games. They're not really the point, imo.

If ever a player needed a rest it’s Tierney. Due to Celtic’s lunacy he now won’t get one. Straight to the CL qualifiers, burnt out by October. 

Edited by woof!

Just skimmed this thread and am struggling to get the special antipathy and opprobrium for which Tierney has been singled out.The ease with which he goes down ( insert KW gif ) is a pain in the arse, certainly. His wee boy love for his club, however, is something we usually applaud in our own. That it's not our club shouldn't really jaundice our take on that.
As a poster said earlier, by age 25, he'll probably be a different person, unless I'm missing something and he"s the sort of lad who's considered likely to piss/gamble away his talents, or be spouting plastic Irish rubbish as a grown man.
As to his injury and the timing of his operation, I doubt he'll have had a lot of input on the final decision. In any event, it would be less than surprising if he has said he fancies a shot at getting a Scottish Cup Winner"s medal.
Really can't see what the fuss is here. I'd like to see him - and all our best young prospects - in as many Scotland squads for the next ten years. If he just isn't interested, then, yes, f**k him - and, as has been noted, Mr. Clarke is the man to get him telt.
Just by means of a wee add on, when Hearts went a goal up and were still more than holding their own yesterday, the camera panned to the Celtic players not in the squad. Tierney was the only one who actually looked bothered.
That's the kind of attitude I want in players who play for my club.

The rage against Tierney is a wee bit off for me. He has been quite vocal about his pride in playing for his country. Using his love of Celtic as a stick to beat him with is strange. I personally hope that he leaves Celtic and tests himself in Serie A, but that would be what I would do if I were him. He may want to be a one club man. That's his choice. 

I don't think his performances have been bad for Scotland. He was bold in attack against Slovakia (and should have won a penalty) and has been excellent in other games. 

As has been stated above, the opprobrium has been aimed at the club, but a lot of it has been spiteful shite aimed at Tierney, with inferences that he somehow is snubbing Scotland.

4 hours ago, velo army said:

The rage against Tierney is a wee bit off for me. He has been quite vocal about his pride in playing for his country. Using his love of Celtic as a stick to beat him with is strange. I personally hope that he leaves Celtic and tests himself in Serie A, but that would be what I would do if I were him. He may want to be a one club man. That's his choice. 

I don't think his performances have been bad for Scotland. He was bold in attack against Slovakia (and should have won a penalty) and has been excellent in other games. 

As has been stated above, the opprobrium has been aimed at the club, but a lot of it has been spiteful shite aimed at Tierney, with inferences that he somehow is snubbing Scotland.

Has he?  Is that why he doesn't turn up.half the time?  I judge his actions not his platitudes.

3 hours ago, Smokerson said:

He’s vastly over rated, pulls out of most squads (injured or not) and we have one of the best left backs in Europe anyway. Time to move on from Tierney

Yep. With Andy Robertson, why fudge the most overrated footballer of all time into the starting XI to appease others?

10 hours ago, DAFC. said:

Yep. With Andy Robertson, why fudge the most overrated footballer of all time into the starting XI to appease others?

He'd still be the best RB we have available and you need more than one LB.

12 hours ago, Kuro said:

He'd still be the best RB we have available and you need more than one LB.

He isn't a right back. He's a left back. Have we just to play him out of position just because he looks good up against absolute guff like Hamilton and St. Mirren?

If he was to go to the big boys right now, he would get found out pretty swiftly. 

13 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

He isn't a right back. He's a left back. Have we just to play him out of position just because he looks good up against absolute guff like Hamilton and St. Mirren?

If he was to go to the big boys right now, he would get found out pretty swiftly. 

He isn’t a right back, but I don’t think it’s unfair to say he’d probably fare better for us there than any from our choice of natural RBs.

I love Stephen O’Donnell and think he’s a good player, but I’d rather have Tierney start at RB for us than him.

Davies was fit enough to play 45 times last season for Spurs (would likely have been more if he was actually first choice), unlike Tierney who has only played 9 games since Christmas and couldn't even play in the Scottish Cup final due to his injury.

22 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Compare Tierney with Ben Davies:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48509181

11 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Davies was fit enough to play 45 times last season for Spurs (would likely have been more if he was actually first choice), unlike Tierney who has only played 9 games since Christmas and couldn't even play in the Scottish Cup final due to his injury.

Exactly. It isn't even really comparable.

I heard from somebody that the reason why he’s not moved, at least recently, and probably won’t move any time soon is he’s unlikely to pass a medical at any club that would purchase him.