Dundee United 2018/2019

2 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

A well-placed source mentioned Sow to me the other day. Was certainly effective at Hearts but hasn't been playing of late it seems.

I'd got told about Sow last week but again not sure how true It was. Same with Pawlett but they both play for MK Dons not sure we could get both on loan.

I hadn’t heard him mentioned but I would be hugely disappointed if we got players like gomis in. Past it the last time he was here and not an upgrade on Stanton. Also, I know he has his faults but I don’t really get why some people are so down in Aird, his assists tally is hugely impressive

12 minutes ago, dregs 83 said:

I hadn’t heard him mentioned but I would be hugely disappointed if we got players like gomis in. Past it the last time he was here and not an upgrade on Stanton. Also, I know he has his faults but I don’t really get why some people are so down in Aird, his assists tally is hugely impressive

Aye Gomis is definitely a step back from Stanton although I wouldn't be adverse to having Jimmy in as cover over say Barton. Would rather the wage went to someone better though obviously. 

4 hours ago, stumigoo said:

Here is the current state of play in terms of contracts etc at the club (Link). It will cost a small fortune to pay some of these players off if we are shipping them out.

All 9 up In the summer away plus hopefully: Barton, Loemba, Rabitsch, Robson, Rakovan, Siegrist and Watson then we can bring In the right type of player.

Hopefully: Barton, Loemba, King, Toshney and Allardice find clubs In January to free wages.

1 hour ago, dregs 83 said:

I agree with you about Aird, he offers a lot going forward and his assists have been vital.

What annoys me about him is his laziness in tracking back and his unwillingness to put a foot in on those occasions he does.  I’d like to see Neilson working on these faults.

Gomis definitely not an upgrade on Stanton but a Gomis type player to provide cover for Stanton/Fyvie with the possibility all three playing if Stanton is further forward.

Gomis and Stanton are completely different players.

Gomis was like a wee terrier and Stanton is a forward going attacking midfielder.

Id maybe take Gomis back if he was going to play a similar role to his first stint at the club. Sadly, 442 is a long forgotten formation at Tannadice and when Jimmy was deployed next to Paton or Rankin as the sitters in a 4231 he was that bit deeper and thats not his game. May well have been past it too but not playing to his strengths didnt help.

Id be interested to see if Neilson brings in a defensive midfielder and allows Stanton to play further forward, off the striker making runs. Hes next to ineffective next to Fyvie.

What i personally would love to see is a 6ft3 Uruk-Hai at centre half, a messed up, lunatic of a defensive midfielder who'd stab you with the sharpened bones of last weeks opposite number and a striker who would literally flying header his 97 year old gran out of the way to get on the end of a cross.

So basically, De Vos, Dave Bowman and Jon Daly.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/dundee-united-fc/alletransfers/verein/1519

The link makes for some horrific reading.  Our transfer dealings over the past 4 or 5 years have been absolutely woeful.

January transfer markets are traditionally pretty quiet, Robbie Neilson is relatively inexperienced in transfer dealings and our Chairman is, well, a proper "rookie" - although I hate to be pessimistic I think it could be a very difficult month for us.  Personally, I might be tempted to take a gamble on David Goodwillie.

2 hours ago, arab_joe said:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/dundee-united-fc/alletransfers/verein/1519

The link makes for some horrific reading.  Our transfer dealings over the past 4 or 5 years have been absolutely woeful.

January transfer markets are traditionally pretty quiet, Robbie Neilson is relatively inexperienced in transfer dealings and our Chairman is, well, a proper "rookie" - although I hate to be pessimistic I think it could be a very difficult month for us.  Personally, I might be tempted to take a gamble on David Goodwillie.

You would be in a very small majority wanting Goodwillie.  I would not want him anywhere near our club.

37 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

You would be in a very small majority wanting Goodwillie.  I would not want him anywhere near our club.

Because of his issues with the law?  I think you're right, that a significant number of fans wouldn't be in favour, but in my eyes: (i) justice should be dealt with in the courts; and (ii) we need a guy who is cheap and might get a goal or two in the Scottish Championship...

1 hour ago, arab_joe said:

Because of his issues with the law?  I think you're right, that a significant number of fans wouldn't be in favour, but in my eyes: (i) justice should be dealt with in the courts; and (ii) we need a guy who is cheap and might get a goal or two in the Scottish Championship...

Just because the courts may deal with something it doesn’t release the football club from its obligations.

The last thing I want to listen to is a bunch of mindless c***s singing “he does what he wants”.