Dundee United 2018/2019

2 hours ago, Dee Man said:

... good score today, chaps. 

Not really, but at least we are not crying our eyes out like the Funsters over on the Dundee threads.

I hope Jimmy Mac seriously f*cks you over.

Have a happy New Year.  :)

10 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Not really, but at least we are not crying our eyes out like the Funsters over on the Dundee threads.

GD.  That’s not strictly true though.  Taken from the Alloa v United thread:

11CE16AB-9021-4C2F-AD9B-FA731D0972A9.jpeg

Courier linking us with 21 year old winger Daniel Armstrong who has been on a short term deal with Raith.  Scored 5 in 7 games apparently.

Watched him today. Took my auld man to rovers vs east fife game. Nice technique but bit lightweight. I’d take Lewis Vaughan though,he looks ready for step up. Poor result today,disappointed didn’t expect that but Alloa have a decent manager. 6 in. 6 out🧡🖤

19 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

GD.  That’s not strictly true though.  Taken from the Alloa v United thread:

11CE16AB-9021-4C2F-AD9B-FA731D0972A9.jpeg

That’s nothing in comparison!  I won’t reciprocate but if anyone wants to take a wee peek I warn you it’s depressing.

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

How come one minute you're jovial and light hearted and the next you're a very angry, bitter man? 

I'd hope for your sake that your mood swings are just alcohol withdrawal and not symptomatic of something more serious. 

Poor Margaret must walk about on egg shells. 

We would all like 8 or 9 new players but realistically we have four weeks and we don't know how much money we actually have to spend. The quality of player available in January is also a concern, it is hardly a hotbed for talent as we have seen in the past. I think 5 in and 5 out is the absolute maximum we will see.

1 hour ago, stumigoo said:

We would all like 8 or 9 new players but realistically we have four weeks and we don't know how much money we actually have to spend. The quality of player available in January is also a concern, it is hardly a hotbed for talent as we have seen in the past. I think 5 in and 5 out is the absolute maximum we will see.

Like the last few seasons the club has to balance expenditure on players v the cost of not getting promoted.  

We now have a competent manager but not the benefit of money from Robertson/Armstrong sell ons.

That means the new owner making a real commitment.  I agree about the quality of players but there are surely loan players if we are willing to contribute to six months of wages.

I’m worried about what another season in the Championship will do to attendances.

On 28/12/2018 at 17:53, Granny Danger said:

Has he played this season?  His stats for last season are not impressive.

I think he's played 7 minutes in the league this season, he struggles to even make our bench most weeks.

3 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Like the last few seasons the club has to balance expenditure on players v the cost of not getting promoted.  

We now have a competent manager but not the benefit of money from Robertson/Armstrong sell ons.

That means the new owner making a real commitment.  I agree about the quality of players but there are surely loan players if we are willing to contribute to six months of wages.

I’m worried about what another season in the Championship will do to attendances.

Two or three good loan deals and then two or three permanent signings is probably what we might end up with I reckon.

Here is the current state of play in terms of contracts etc at the club (Link). It will cost a small fortune to pay some of these players off if we are shipping them out.

Very nicely put together, but pretty depressing stuff.

As well as the duds that were brought in like Barton, Rabbitsch and Loemba it really is disappointing to see players like smith and Robson not repaying the faith that was put in them, don’t know about Allerdice but I haven’t heard that he’s tearing things up.

I’m genuinely struggling to remember any good player to come from the youth team after Armstrong etc.

Hopefully Ogren will take into account that investment in that bit of the setup could reduce the number of new faces we need to look for every window.

I’m certainly far more optimistic about Neilsons ability to spot and attract a better level of talent though.

3 hours ago, stumigoo said:

Two or three good loan deals and then two or three permanent signings is probably what we might end up with I reckon.

Three and three of the right quality and for the right positions could transform us.

Goalie, RB, midfielder, winger, striker and one to spare.