Scotland v USA (at life)

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, Herman Hessian said:

how's the Scottish space programme coming along - I know that Montgomery Christopher Jorgensen was integral to the smooth running of the Enterprise, but other than that ?

and I don't think that PC World in Strathkelvin Retail Park is too much of a threat to Silicon Valley, either

;)

Shandon Par is building a rocket.

Sorry that should read Shandon Par is a rocket.

I've been to America three times and one thing that's always struck me is how we in Britain don't *really* know it at all.  We get so much American culture, be it food, music, news, TV, films, books etc. that we think - even if we haven't been - that we know the country quite well.  When you get there you realise that, despite the language, you don't really know it all.

I could probably live there if I had to, but would I move there out of choice?  Probably not.

One of the worst things about America is the abysmal public transport in most places. The nearest beach town to Savannah is 18 miles away and the only way to get there is by extortionate taxi, or hiring a car. Mind you anyone in Drumnadrochit wanting a night out in Inverness would say the same about the Highlands.

There are some things I love about America, ive visited Maine, LA, San Francisco, Austin, North Carolina, Chicago, Memphis all once each, Nashville, Washington DC and Vegas three times and Florida 12, spending about 1.5 months a year there so feel I’ve seen a fair bit of America to judge it. What I’ve found is each part of it is like its own little country with its own culture. There are some places like Nevada, LA and San Francisco that i’ve liked but would never dream of living in. But places like Austin or Nashville i’d probably be seriously happy living in, Nashville being one of the most laid back lovely cities i’ve ever visited and has a great emphasis on family, great sports going on, including a football team and baseball. The right wing jesusy politics is a big turn off but when you compare to back here, Brexit and Tory governments its really not all that different in terms of right wing idiocy.
In terms of the practicality of living there, paying college tuition for my kids, healthcare insurance (why the f**k are they so against an NHS btw!? Mental) and the gun situation im not really comfortable with any of those, but I suppose if i won a decent dod in Euromillions I could buy a cracking house in Nashville and be very comfortable.
But on the whole I think i’d prefer as a non-lottery winner type to stay here in Scotland.

A country which has a large proportion of citizens who feel more guns are the solution to the massive gun problem shouldnt be taken seriously.

Unfortunately the raving loony they voted to run the place also thinks having a big bomb that could end humanity is a good idea.

Would love to visit certain places but couldnt live there.

4 hours ago, NewBornBairn said:

Smoking a fag means something totally different over there. DAMHIKT

Someone call 911 we got ourselves a queer killer Cletus. He said he smoked 20 a day back in scotch land.

19 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

A country which has a large proportion of citizens who feel more guns are the solution to the massive gun problem shouldnt be taken seriously.

This is cheap posting, though.  I've been to the US hunners of times and never once saw a good guy with a gun - apart from the NYPD blokes who, obviously, had holstered guns on my first visit in 1982.

I've been to, so far, 19 states.  I know that many P&Bers have been to more.  My trips have ranged from 8 weeks in 1982 to an overnight in NYC for an interview.  I have enjoyed every trip I've made from catching Marlin off the coast of FL to cycling down a volcano in Maui to trying to teach High School Football players how to play Rugby.  As a visitor I haven't a bad word to say about the place.

As for divisive, jingoistic, tub-thumping, fleg-waving politics?  That's a big problem and is what keeps me back from moving home to Scotland.

For me it was worth it to move but I get a decent salary and good healthcare and I live in a good area. I personally do have a much better life than I did it the UK.
I wouldn't have moved if I was sickly or old or couldn't get a good job. The UK's state welfare would have been too good to walk away from.

So it depends on your circumstances. There's no blanket answer. It's great place to come and live if you can make a decent go of it but if not then it'll probably be a nightmare and you'll be better off staying in Scotland.

I like it here, 8 years after moving over the water.
Then again I’m slightly biased as I have 3 amazing stepdaughters and 2 granddaughters here and only a pain in the arse alkie brother still in Scotland.
Cost of living is much the same for me, but then I do own my house outright and only have utilities to pay.
Still say pavement, petrol, arse, boot and lots of other “britishisms” just because I can [emoji106]

5 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

This is cheap posting, though.  I've been to the US hunners of times and never once saw a good guy with a gun - apart from the NYPD blokes who, obviously, had holstered guns on my first visit in 1982.

I've been to, so far, 19 states.  I know that many P&Bers have been to more.  My trips have ranged from 8 weeks in 1982 to an overnight in NYC for an interview.  I have enjoyed every trip I've made from catching Marlin off the coast of FL to cycling down a volcano in Maui to trying to teach High School Football players how to play Rugby.  As a visitor I haven't a bad word to say about the place.

As for divisive, jingoistic, tub-thumping, fleg-waving politics?  That's a big problem and is what keeps me back from moving home to Scotland.

I assume that last paragraph is intentionally laced with irony?

I'm with Cerberus - been here 6 years and love it, but that's living in major metro areas with decent jobs. Don't know that I'd want to be 60 with chronic conditions in this country. The fact both places I've lived in, Trump is loathed and nobody gives a f**k about religion is also obviously useful.

2 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

I assume that last paragraph is intentionally laced with irony?

I was hovering over the greenie button until I read the last paragraph.

14 hours ago, NewBornBairn said:

Smoking a fag means something totally different over there. DAMHIKT

My mate asked a taxi driver where he could get fags, it didn't even occur to him what he'd actually asked for, the taxi driver just totally ignored him, I nearly died laughing.

Archived