Scotland v USA (at life)

What actually are the pros and cons about living in the United States as opposed to Scotland?  I can think of dozens of countries I'd rather move to if push came to shove.

Pros:

The weather (obviously dependent on area - not overly keen on the typhoons)

Cons:

Their fuckwit President

Gun laws

No NHS

No minimum wage - workers relying on tips

Levels of obesity (check out the US food aisles in supermarkets compared to the Polish/ Asian aisles for examples of the shite that American immigrants obviously crave across here)

Lack of equal opportunities. Racial segregation was still widespread in the mid 1960's. The "black lives matters" campaign just the latest in a clearly unequal society  

Denial of global warming and refusal to participate in international agreements on climate control

I honestly cannot see the attraction... 

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I could bang on about my personal pros and cons about living in the US, but possibly the only important thing is that if you have a Scottish accent, you absolutely, positively will get your hole, and with lassies you'd consider out of your league here.

/end thread

'Murica is a fantastic place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there. Mainly due to the utter basket case politics, social problems and cost of living. We did a road trip last Christmas staying in San Francisco, Las Vegas and other places, and as awesome as these places are, some of the homelessness and poverty is shocking. 

My sister lives  in New York and I've been over a few times. She lives in a  quiet neighbourhood in Brooklyn but rent is more expensive than in London (over $2k/month for a 1 bed apartment). Such a huge portion of normal working peoples' earnings must go on rent and very few people will own their own homes. My sister loves it there, although she thinks the healthcare situation is dreadful.

In short, a cool place with lots of problems.

Scotland is a relatively backwards, small-minded, samey place. The traditional mentality in 'Murca makes it a far more desirable place to live, with a more varied environment and climate to boot.

1 minute ago, banana said:

Scotland is a relatively backwards, small-minded, samey place. The traditional mentality in 'Murca makes it a far more desirable place to live, with a more varied environment and climate to boot.

Do you live there, you seem to have overcome the language difficulties? The variation in climate and environment is entirely dependent on where you live unless you want a thousand plus mile jaunt for a day trip. 

6 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Do you live there, you seem to have overcome the language difficulties? The variation in climate and environment is entirely dependent on where you live unless you want a thousand plus mile jaunt for a day trip. 

I've traveled there a fair bit and lived there for several months at a time. Long jaunts just become a norm, 'can-do' being part of the mentality I was on about.

I could bang on about my personal pros and cons about living in the US, but possibly the only important thing is that if you have a Scottish accent, you absolutely, positively will get your hole, and with lassies you'd consider out of your league here.
/end thread
Pics or......

The US would be a horrible place to live. Full of brain washed yanks who believe that every evasion of every other country is out of "self defence". Arseholes of the highest order imo.

It is truly frightening the amount of times Jesus and The Lord are mentioned any time American citizens are interviewed on the news in any circumstances.

A bunch of bible-bashing, god-fearing weirdos. 

1 minute ago, Dee Man said:

It is truly frightening the amount of times Jesus and The Lord are mentioned any time American citizens are interviewed on the news in any circumstances.

Not just that. They're always quick to mention the constitution when defending their backwards views. Ask any of them to quote something out of it and they'll not be able to.

The American dream involves working every hour god sends. Fourteen days holiday per year sucks. Potentially many more plus points around lifestyle however what’s the point if you can’t enjoy it. 

20 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

The American dream involves working every hour god sends. Fourteen days holiday per year sucks. Potentially many more plus points around lifestyle however what’s the point if you can’t enjoy it. 

Mods, please?

They sell themselves as the land of the free and the home of the brave. They're neither.

As someone said, it's a good place to visit but I've never had any wish to live there. And don't get me started on that ridiculous tipping-everyone culture they have.

6 hours ago, Dee Man said:

I was over in Phoenix at Easter, and the local cinema had three screens showing different New Testament films. We're not talking about some fleapit out in the sticks either, but the city itself.

It's to Scotland's credit that they won't even get a DVD release here.

Archived