What is the point of Labour ?

pawpar

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

On what planet are they expecting to get an overall majority giving them the power to ignore the referendum and revoke? The only real world commitment they've made is not to support a Labour Government in order to get a referendum.

1 hour ago, MixuFixit said:

The labour position is perfectly well defined tbh

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Yes it is.  If you have the slightest interest in politics it’s easy to follow.  

Sadly most folk, including the ones that vote, have zero interest.

Labour’s policy is very easy for the MSM to present as more convoluted than it actually is.

So his easy to follow, well defined position is to sit on the fence and let the people decide?

On 12/09/2019 at 19:53, Donathan said:

They're shit scared of losing their seats but the reality is those northern hell holes like Wigan (Lisa Nandy), Don Valley (Caroline Flint) and Stoke-on-Trent Central (Gareth Snell) are safe as houses Labour areas who would elect a monkey in a red badge. Most Labour voters in these seats voted Remain. The only reason the seats themselves backed Brexit is because of the support of first time voters who Farage managed to get out on the day to vote to leave. These gammons never vote in general elections and Nandy etc should really stop worrying so much about what they think.

A monkey in a red badge would not be safe in Hartlepool.

1 hour ago, ICTJohnboy said:

So his easy to follow, well defined position is to sit on the fence and let the people decide?

A quick 2nd referendum with a Soft Brexit or Revoke choice would be fine IMO.

The collective head's gone from No Deal gammons, the DUP over losing the backstop, entrenched right wing media and No voters if he agrees to a ScotRef2 would almost make it worth having him in power.

2 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

Nope, as said many times, get an exit deal agreed, put it to a vote with remain as the other option, campaign for remain.

So what Corbyn wants to do is negotiate a new exit deal, then campaign to vote against it?

He, and his party have obviously got great faith in his negotiating skills!

Edited by ICTJohnboy

3 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

So what Corbyn wants to do is negotiate a new exit deal, then campaign to vote against it?

I'm expecting the conference to agree that members and MPs will be free to campaign for either a renegotiated soft brexit or remain.

27 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

No he's said he will stay neutral which is smart. It means he's an honest broker making the deal and it means he doesn't have to resign if the result goes against him which adds stability to the rest of the manifesto pledges.

34 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I'm expecting the conference to agree that members and MPs will be free to campaign for either a renegotiated soft brexit or remain.

That just makes me feel this could go on forever and a day.

Right now, Swinson's plan looks to me to bre the most appealing.

I also suspect that all those who forced all these votes through the house (that Boris lost) would agree with her on that.

eta... The EU have also been making noises over objecting to another extension.

Edited by ICTJohnboy

3 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

That just makes me feel this could go on forever and a day.

Right now, Swinson's plan looks to me to bre the most appealing.

I also suspect that all those who forced all these votes through the house (that Boris lost) would agree with her on that.

I disagree. In the hugely unlikely event that the Lib Dems got an overall majority in a GE it would be by far less a vote than the 52% who voted Leave. Many of those who voted to block a hard brexit on Oct 31st backed May's deal and would see the Lib Dem policy as undemocratic. Of course the Lib Dems have zero chance of winning the election so it's just a cynical ploy to look more remainy than Labour, despite campaigning for the last three years for a second referendum.

The Guardian are giving the impression of swinging behind Corbyn after the disastrous Lb Dem conference (imo). A picture that doesn't make him look shifty for a change.
image.png.19a59abfd7164a89276a0b46a7a33f44.png
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/sep/17/corbyn-vows-to-put-sensible-brexit-deal-to-voters-in-referendum

The Financial Times are pretty much already there as well.

What a fucking drama queen. A deputy leader is meant to be out and about backing the party and leader, not undermining him at every opportunity. It's a daft position anyway, the Tories don't bother having one anymore.

Tom Watson: plan to remove me as deputy leader is 'drive-by shooting'