What is the point of Labour ?

pawpar

Just now, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:

And does Corbyn?

Yes.  Unfortunately I think that’s why Labour is in such a mess over Brexit.

Corbyn sees the EU as a pro-capitalist creation; whether or not people agree with that it is nonetheless a reasonable position.  It’s also one he’s held consistently for years.

Corbyn’s has been unwilling to compromise on his principles and it’s taken a lot of persuasion by others for him to do so.

I think he’s been wrong on this as he needs to look at the bigger picture but I respect the fact that he’s not flipped as quickly as others would have,

48 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Yes.  Unfortunately I think that’s why Labour is in such a mess over Brexit.

Corbyn sees the EU as a pro-capitalist creation; whether or not people agree with that it is nonetheless a reasonable position.  It’s also one he’s held consistently for years.

Corbyn’s has been unwilling to compromise on his principles and it’s taken a lot of persuasion by others for him to do so.

I think he’s been wrong on this as he needs to look at the bigger picture but I respect the fact that he’s not flipped as quickly as others would have,

Don't you?

Wasn't that what you were thinking when you voted Leave?

Edited by ICTJohnboy

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

The Labour Party conference should make a second referendum and Remain as party policy.

Any Labour candidate would need to sign up for that.

Second referendum is party policy, campaigning for remain is the optional part. Labour policy is to drop May's red lines and renegotiate a Brexit deal that includes access to the single market and customs union, then put this soft Brexit to referendum against remain. In that referendum the party's MPs would be allowed to campaign for either soft Brexit or remain.

The devious thing could be to concede to the Brexit Party demands for a "clean break" option, and leave out a Brexit lite. Straight choice between crashing out and remain. Risky but the most likely choices to get a Remain result.

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The devious thing could be to concede to the Brexit Party demands for a "clean break" option, and leave out a Brexit lite. Straight choice between crashing out and remain. Risky but the most likely choices to get a Remain result.

TBF I'd be fine with having that on the ballot paper. If the country was asked to vote on no deal and approved it in a referendum then I'd actually burst out laughing at the food and medicine shortages that would follow because they'd be exactly what the UK deserves.

25 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Second referendum is party policy, campaigning for remain is the optional part. Labour policy is to drop May's red lines and renegotiate a Brexit deal that includes access to the single market and customs union, then put this soft Brexit to referendum against remain. In that referendum the party's MPs would be allowed to campaign for either soft Brexit or remain.

No.  Negotiating another deal is Labour Party policy then offering it as an option in a referendum.

Try to keep up.

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Marxist extremist Corbyn must resign for trying to take away the suicidal option from a second referendum.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

No.  Negotiating another deal is Labour Party policy then offering it as an option in a referendum.

Try to keep up.

That's literally what he said.

1 hour ago, Donathan said:

How is that different from what I said?

If I picked you up wrong I apologise, but you seemed to be implying that what I was arguing for was already Labour’s policy.

They shouldn’t be trying to renegotiate a deal of any sort, they should just be arguing to remain on existing terms.

11 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

They shouldn’t be trying to renegotiate a deal of any sort, they should just be arguing to remain on existing terms.

There has to be another referendum if we are going to stay in the EU long term.

To have that referendum there has to be a realistic and good faith leave option on the ballot paper.

It's fairly simple.

I kind of agree with this - we are way past getting any kind of soft Brexit deal.

Have a policy of No deal vs Remain referendum - I would believe that Remain would win - even though a large number of economic illiterate arseholes would still vote No Deal.

22 hours ago, Detournement said:

There has to be another referendum if we are going to stay in the EU long term.

To have that referendum there has to be a realistic and good faith leave option on the ballot paper.

It's fairly simple.

They can't have another referendum until the Leave terms are known and concrete. Ratified leave deal or Remain should be the only options.

I thought Tom Watson had been very quiet recently, but he’s just emerged to try to undermine Labour’s Brexit policy.

I think it’s a crap policy but Watson is Labour’s deputy leader and should be arguing his position behind closed doors.  He has given up any pretence of accepting collective responsibility.

41 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I thought Tom Watson had been very quiet recently, but he’s just emerged to try to undermine Labour’s Brexit policy.

I think it’s a crap policy but Watson is Labour’s deputy leader and should be arguing his position behind closed doors.  He has given up any pretence of accepting collective responsibility.

I think he's right to suggest the party should  “unambiguously and unequivocally back remain” 

It's disappointing that they can't present a united front on this, but perhaps the thinking is the more options you have on the table the least numbers of voters you will offend.

If you're not sure about this whole Brexit thing vote for us. We're not sure about it either!