What is the point of Labour ?

pawpar

1 hour ago, Leith Green said:

Its more nuanced than that, especially when the Indy/Unionist question comes into play.

I live in Edinburgh South for Westminster, (Edinburgh Southern for Holyrood) and "Morningside Tories" vote Labour tactically in order that no SNP MP/MSP gets in.

This has been obvious for some time, but is made evern more obvious when you see the breakdown of FPTP and Regional Holyrood votes for the tories in this constituency.

Both Ian Murray and Daniel Johnson campaign on "lend us your vote" to local tories.

Even in the local council here, the SNP are the largest single party but Labour and the Tories (ffs !) are in a "loose alliance" to run Edinburgh - think there are 3 or 4 other councils which have the same problem.

I voted Labour as a youngster, and this kind of cosying up to the b*****d fucking Tory party is one of the reasons I despise Scottish Labour.

True enough. I know some Labour ex-Councillors and I can't imagine for one second that they approve of Labour working with the Tories.  Didn't Labour in Edinburgh make an ar$e of the negotiations/voting process for the coming financial year's budget and Edinburgh now has a Tory one? Well done Labour. Oddly, I didn't hear Starmer commenting on these issues on his recent Scottish safaris. 

1 hour ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Didn't Labour in Edinburgh make an ar$e of the negotiations/voting process for the coming financial year's budget and Edinburgh now has a Tory one?

Deliberate. They wanted the tory budget without actively appearing to support it. They could only do that by making an arse of their own budget.

1 hour ago, Suspect Device said:

Not much of a surprise but to be confirmed today.

Bit surprised TBH. I thought that Starmer wouldn't try to split the Labour Party until a bit nearer the time of the next election.

Seems to me that all he's done is annoying the left to try to impress the right. It'll be interesting to see reaction from the membership. 

3 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Bit surprised TBH. I thought that Starmer wouldn't try to split the Labour Party until a bit nearer the time of the next election.

Seems to me that all he's done is annoying the left to try to impress the right. It'll be interesting to see reaction from the membership. 

Some will be raging,  others will be delighted to see the back of Corbyn and an awful lot won't care.

Labour want to win in 2024 and dumping Corbyn is for Starmar a sacrifice to middle England that has to be made.

20 minutes ago, Iain said:

Are xenophobia and union-busting traditional Labour values?

No, but stopping Corbyn standing at the next election is nothing to do with appeasing middle England, which is what I was talking about. 

Edited by MazzyStar

What I'm increasingly noticing is that there is more and more 'new' faces bring rolled out by Labour in the media and increasingly, I'm unable to really see much differences in how they act and what they say from the Tories. Sure, they argue over things, but nothing of real substance. Beit sale of council houses, brexit, devolution etc. Corbyn was too left for Labour, but for me, Labour is now veering onto right of centre now. They are more akin to the Democrats in the US than even new Labour.

I'm no Corbyn fan, but surely you need guys like him and previously Benn etc to be a break on any party moving too far to the centre. Tories have the opposite problem, they have lost the pull to the centre.

23 hours ago, Crùbag said:

Even the BBC were acknowledging today the biggest gulf in UK politics is between Tory and SNP.

It certainly was between Tory and Sturgeon SNP, which I assume will continue under Yusaf.  The Daily Mail is, like the right wing of the SNP, lamenting the fall of Forbes.  

A left wing voter in Scotland still has at least two influential voting options.  It’s arguable if English pinkos even have one.